Hi everyone. I have one question that really bothers me lately. I never asked anyone about this but I think that I should. I am diagnosed with stunned myocardium three years ago. I am 41 years old and because of this disease I needed to stop my pregnancy. My friend yesterday told me that I should be very careful because this stunned myocardium can easily turn into hibernating myocardium. I can tell you that I got really scared because I don't know what this means. Is this more dangerous than my current condition? Can you answer me - what is the difference between Stunned Myocardium and hibernating myocardium?

Hey there.

Look, Myocardial ischemia is a clinical syndrome manifesting a variety of tissue effects and global cardiac effects that impair cardiac function. When ischemia is severe and prolonged, it usually causes myocyte death and results in loss of contractile function and tissue infarction. So basically your current condition is dangerous as well. On the other side, there is hibernating myocardium and this is myocardial tissue that has reduced contractility due to poor perfusion, but remains viable. It is important as hibernating myocardium can recover normal contractility with revascularisation. In both of cases it should be monitored carefully.

Good luck. 

Hi there. I think that I don’t get it that clear what is your question about this issue. Stunned myocardium is viable myocardium salvaged by coronary reperfusion that exhibits prolonged postischemic dysfunction after reperfusion, but I believe that your doctor already explained this to you. Now,  hibernating myocardium is ischemic myocardium supplied by a narrowed coronary artery in which ischemic cells remain viable but contraction is chronically depressed. So, according to all of those facts, stunned myocardium can be differentiated from hibernating myocardium by three clinical parameters, namely, LV wall motion, myocardial perfusion, and myocardial metabolism. I believe that those are the main things that you need to know.

Hey I am really sorry if you don't understand me, but please consider that I am extremely scared and that I am afraid that something very wrong can happen to me.I am aware that stunned myocardium is extremely dangerous and that is the main reason why I took everything to treat it. I am currently using some medications and I do have side - effects from it, but they are not so visible as they used to be at the beginning. But still I don't know the answer - can stunned myocardium turn into hibernating myocardium at all? Thank you in advance.

I'm not sure if your stunned myocardium can turn into hibernating myocardium, Penelope, but if it can, it might not be a bad thing to happen. As far as I know, hibernating myocardium is less dangerous and more easily treated than stunned myocardium. I mean, its name "hibernating" myocardium seems like the disease is just sitting there and not doing anything, just hibernating. 

Doctors even have a hard time deciding which type of myocardium does a person have, stunned or hibernating, and they often make mistakes in diagnoses. However, this shouldn't present a big problem for a skilled doctor with years of experience.

I'm not sure about this one, Penepope. I mean, the others did try to explain this to you and you maybe did understand it but to be honest, I didn't, and I'm searching for the exact same thing as you are. Actually, I'm searching for the opposite of what you just asked, a good friend of mine, maybe something more than just a friend, recently found out that he has hibernating myocardium. Then his doctor told him that they might have made a mistake and that he actually has stunned myocardium. So I don't know, any info would be useful since I didn't understand much of what's written above.

Hello Adria,

I'm sorry to say that I have to disagree with you. The people above who explained these two conditions and the differences between them did a fine job with explaining them, but you are required to know some medical terms and to know a bit more about your body in order to understand these kind of things.

I know a lot about the human body and how things work inside there, but I can't really give you a better explanation than people above me, I would probably just confuse you even more. Maybe ask for a doctor to explain it to you.

This is indeed a hard one to explain to someone who doesn't have any medical experience or doesn't know some, or actually, a lot of medical terms.

Hibernating myocardium typically represents a chronic process whereas stunned myocardium is typically related to an acute infarction or ischaemic insult resulting in altered wall motion.

That would be the explanation regarding the difference between stunned myocardium and hibernating myocardium. If you can't understand it, just don't worry about it, you don't have to understand it. These two conditions are very similar to each other so there's no need for you to bother to know the difference between them.