Hello everyone. My daughter is now 13 years old. She has suffered terrible dizzy-like "waves" that cause her to vomit and she is unable to get out of bed for days at a time. The attacks come every eleven or so weeks and they last about eight days. My daughter says that she lives life with "regular dizziness" but the "waves" are what debilatate her. She has undergone CT, MRI, PET Scans, EEG, EKG, Carotid Artery Study, Allergy Testing (she is allergic) and nothing has provided a diagnosis. Meneirs has been rulled out and the new diagnosis is "atypical migraine." Does anyone else have a similar affliliction that can help to point us in the right direction? I do not believe it is migraine because no migraine remedies have ever helped.

What is your email, I have the same cyclical dizzy spells and would like to discuss via email rather than on a public forum
Jeff

I get almost the same thing, i live with more dizziness than i ever used to have and at times i will get waves of dizziness that make me feel like puking. they have gotten somewhat better than they were 3 years ago when this started but still exist. Does your daughter remember a single occurance that started this? As with me i can remember the exact moment it started... i was sitting on a couch at a friends house and BAM i got so dizzy i couldnt walk straight. I went to a doctor about it once... he had me lay upside down and touch my nose and looked at my pupils and stuff told me well its not a tumor and then told me to eat salty foods..... i wonder about that doctor. I really hope your daughter feels better, this feeling is hard enough on an adult.

What did you find out? My daughter has had the same symptoms since she was a baby and is now 8 years old.

It could be that her body is in bad need of B Vitamins. Try a co-enzymated form of B complex, in low potency such as Country Life. Check to see what is the potency for children.

iHerb.com carries them and other brands of coenzymated Bs. (They are more readily available to the system) I found relief in 24 hrs. Also have her cortisol levels checked. Could be a severe adrenal disorder. B's help with that.

Good luck to you.

It has been nearly three years since my first post about my daughter who suffers from cyclical dizziness. We have now learned that the attacks happen every 80 - 85 days. It is that predictable! Still going on as scheduled. She is 16 years old.

RE: Dizzy Daughter. I cannot get back into this forum. My daughter is now 16 years old. Nothing has changed except that her doctor put her on birth control pills, thinking this could be related to hormones. No change. She still gets her dizziness. We have calculated that her attacks come every 80 - 85 days. We can practically schedule her next attack. She gets dizzy warnings a few days before onset. Day three is always the worst day. By day five or six, she is able to walk around. Then, it just gets more bearable from there. Please email me anytime.

I don't know if I will be able to get hold of you because it's been almost a year since your last post. My son has been suffering with the same thing since he was about 6 years old. He is almost 15 now. His spells come about every two and a half months. I haven't counted the exact days, but they always come and we have been to every kind of specialist too. I just saw your post and for the first time since this started I didn't feel alone. If you get to see this post I would love to talk to you to see if anything has changed. Take care and I hope to hear from you.

My daughter just turned 14 and is all the sudden having dizzy spells. I have started her on B12 Vitamins so far and made a appt with our

family doctor. We have a appt next week, but I think it could be Vertigo. I work at a doctor office and have for years. Has any one had

their child checked for Vertigo??

You have no idea how good it was to see your posts. I have a 12 year old son who has cyclical dizziness. He has an attack every 3 months, give or take a week. A neurologist has suggested some form of epilepsy (front temporal lobe), but none of the medications have helped with any of that. He has been put on Topamax and Diamox, and still no improvement even after 5 years!! The dizziness can last up to 3 weeks, with day 5 or 6 being the worst, often resulting in vomitting to the point of hospitalisation as he vomits 20 - 30 times in 12 hours!! By day 10 he is normally ready to try school again, but has to go in a wheelchair, because the dizziness is too much to handle. I find that during this 3-week period the dizziness is worst in the mornings. Good Luck and please keep in touch.

Hello All,

My daughter is 17-years old and she still suffers from her cyclical dizziness. I have looked into other posts about Cylical Vomitting Syndrome. Those who suffer from CVS do not get dizziness (except maybe as a result of vomitting and dehydration) but they are on a definite cycle. Parents post that they can calendar the anticipated CVS episode. It seems those episodes last about three days. My daughter has never had an episode last less than one week. We just deal with it. Specialists dub it a "migraine variant," yet no migraine medication has worked. She does take Zofran for the nausea and that has been a life saver!

Other than that, nothing new, no cure, no nothing. I appreciate the posts. I thought we were all alone. Has anyone tried the Mayo Clinic? They have a web page about the CVS but also no cure. Will this ever end? My poor baby. What is she goign to do when she gets a job? Tell her new employer she has to take off an entire week every quarter?

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Hi everyone:

And I thought we were all alone in the world.

My son has had 3 or four dizziness attacks that last about 5 days about every 2-3 months.

We noticed immediately the pattern because our daughter has had cyclical migrains and bouts of vommitting along with dizziness every 2 months for the last 4 years. I read with intrest the post about vitamin B complex and will try it

till now not much has helped. The last attack was without a head ache or vomitting, onlu dizziness.

She was treated for migrain the time before and it helped the head ache but not the dizziness.

We live in Israel and don't know any one else with these problems. Most teachers/doctors let us feel it's all in "the head". So why is it so exactly cyclic?

Our daughter had BPT when she was young - a cyclic head tilt that is also very rare.

Good health to all.

Yonit

my son is nearly 3 years old and has suffered 6 of these dizzy attacks this year - every 9 weeks more or less to the day, each lasting approx 24-72 hrs.  We had an mri, tests on his ears all apparently ok.  Saw a paediatric neurologist who diagonosed Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo of Childhood - a migraine variant with out the headache.  I am so worried about it, have lost my job as couldnt keep having time off, and feel SO anxious for him.

If anyone can offer me any help/advice i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Clare

Re:  Dizzy Daughter

My daughter is now 18-years old.  She still suffers from the dizzy spells that I have described in all the other posts.  It is very predictable - every 85 days.  When she was a baby, we did not know she was dizzy.  We just thought she was sensitive to her baby formula.  When she got a little older, doctors told us it was psychosomatic.  We went to every specialist imaginable.  We went to the House Ear Clinic to see if there was something going on in her inner ear.  They ended up treating her for allergies for a year (allergies can trigger migraines and the M.D. thought this might be an atypical migraine variant).  We did not figure out that this was cyclical until one day I went through my calendar and just started counting days between dizzy episodes (I have been calendaring her episodes for the last ten years). 

My daughter is an identical twin.  Her twin sister has no dizziness at all. 

My daughter has a job now and she is in college.  Luckily, she started her new job immediately after she finished a dizzy episode.  This gave her a couple of months to prove herself so that by the time her next dizziness episode came, her manager trusted her and understood she had to take a week off.  She works at a restaurant and has moved up from hostess to server.  College for her has been easier than high school because when she has her episode, she does not have to miss as many classes (college classes are stacked in two days rather than five days per week).

We were just looking at an opportunity for her and her sister to go to London for a study abroad program.  It was perfect and we were all so excited.  But, I just now counted the days and she is due to be dizzy around the time of departure.  We have booked and canceled so many trips and events in the past (before we realized she was on a schedule).  We need to wait to see when her April dizziness attack comes so that we can figure out when her July attack will happen.  She is due to be dizzy April 11 but I am crossing my fingers for a bit earlier so she can go on her trip July 7.  The dizziness lasts about seven to ten days.  We count from the first day of her last dizziness cycle (just like you would a menstral cycle). 

I guess I cannot put my email address on this post. 

I am rambling.  Sorry but just wanted to update you.  I still do not know what this is but it has lasted eighteen year and nothing has helped.  Please let me know if you have any ideas.

i have a son who has been having dizzy spells for ayear. He is 13 years old. I was told it's a type of migrain. He gets attacks approximately every 60-70 days. it lasts 5 days.
My daughter is 15. She has every 60-65 days terrible migrains that last about 5 days.