Hi everyone. I had the flu towards the end of January which came with a chesty cough that brought with it a lot of green/yellow phlegm. It wasn't pleasant but I stopped bringing stuff up after about a week.  I don't have flu anymore, however I've still had a cough since then. I've not been bringing anything up but it's been lingering now for just over 4 weeks. I've felt dripping in the back of my throat and when I've brought up any phlegm from coughing it's been thick but clear. This started to worry me about the possible things it could be, pushing my anxiety into overdrive two days ago when I started to get aches in my back between my shoulder blades. It's right on the spine and slightly to the right.  It's obviously my own fault for looking online, but having read that it's one of the early signs of lung cancer, it's freaking me out and making me so scared - especially since I've still got my cough which is obviously dealing with the lungs too. 

Can anyone help? :( 

Hey there, While your symptoms can be a symptom of cancer it is likely they are caused from your influenza illness..... just a few questions, How old are you? and do you smoke at all or have you smoked cigarettes in the past?\
Thank you.

Hi
I am a 34 year old male. I have never smoked in my life and also very rarely drink.

What's worried me is that I've read that pain in the back can be one of the symptoms of lung cancer - which has obviously sent my health anxiety into overdrive.

Can you describe what the pain feels like and is it constant or comes and goes? does anything make it worse or better? on a scale of 1-10 10 being the worst pain you of your life. how bad is your pain.
It would be EXTREAMLY unlikely that you have cancer as it tends to affect older people who smoke. what do you do for a living?

The pain is not sharp, it's more of a dull ache that comes and goes throughout the day between the shoulder blades. I've not been able to find what triggers it - it ached when I was driving in the car earlier today, then didn't hurt for a few hours afterwards and now back to aching again a little as I lay on the sofa.

The pain itself varies and goes from a 2 to 6 (possibly a 7 in one instance). I had a warm bath earlier that seem to get rid of it for a while.

In terms of my cough - I can breathe in and out deeply without really coughing, but I find myself trying to clear my throat throughout the day and that's when I cough.

My job is mostly office based, spent at a computer desk for most of the day before hitting the gym in the evenings.

Have you tried taking any medications for your cough or pain? I would be shocked if you had cancer. as you don't really have any risk factors for it....

I've taken ibruprofen when my backs been getting really achey which helps.
In terms of the cough, I've been using a Sinex spray which clears up the post nasal drip for a while and in term makes me cough a lot less - but you're only supposed to use it for a couple of days maximum according to the box.