Do you think that it’s smart for me to start training for butterfly on 200m? I’m a novice and I’d like to learn how to swim butterfly, although I know that it’s pretty difficult. I reckon that the earlier I start the better technique I’ll have. Do you think it’s a reasonable idea? What are your general suggestions for this style?

I think that you’re wrong, but don’t let my opinion discourage you from what you’ve planned. Butterfly is one of the most difficult and demanding swimming styles and only experienced swimmers practice it. It has a very special breathing technique and in order to be able to learn it, you must first learn the ordinary breathing technique for running. Since your head is under the water most of the time, you have to breathe in only after every second or even third stroke, which is very difficult. If you would breathe in after each stroke you would lose rhythm and slow down significantly. That’s why I think that you should master the basic techniques before switching to butterfly.