Anyone use this feature much? I always have mine set at 2.5, for some resistence. But, it also has these hill programs on it. I don't think I have been scared to try them, I just haven't yet. Anyone used them? If so, do you like them? I love hills outside (honest!) and get sick of the flats in my basement after awhile!

I keep it set at a consistent, low slope. All of my outside running is hilly and it's nice to have an evenly paced run every now and then.

Yeah, when I use the interval program it automatically adjusts speed and incline. Breaks up the monotony a little.

Does it feel safe? I dunno, maybe I am a little scared.

I see plenty of the people at the Y use the treadmills on the steep settings and I haven't seen anyone fall off yet.

I use mine for my hill training. I like it.

I think I will give it a try tonight for gits and shiggles.

I'll set it to 1% is all. I can't help but think of that NoRacer fella over at coolrunning who always ran with his treadmill at some ungodly grade like 8% I think it was. He ended up with awful plantar fasciitis from it. I still only log a couple runs a week on the mill is all. My skepticism is pretty high. I have a physical therapist runner in our club that says by far he sees more running injuires from treadmills than from outdoors. The mill gives you a nearly never changing footfall everytime and thus, overuse injuries. The programs are probably the best so you have it mixed up a lot; I wouldn't leave it on a high grade day after day.

I only use the mill throught the winter time. I was fine on it last year. And, I would never keep it on a steep grade! Thanks everyone for the thoughts.

I've used the treadmill for both hill repeats and speed work. It's a nice change of pace once a week from everyday treadmill running or running in general.

i use mine for intervals only
i like PH have enough hills so i do not mess with inlcine much
i set it to 2% and usually leave it there

once in a while i up it to three for more resistance but only for a little bit

The incline is cool to use with the programs. Be carefull not to run on it with the incline allways up. This will damage the gears and you will need a new incline motor.

I'm also a little scared to use the program features. I normally just set the incline at a low slope and then run at that grade. I will do some interval work on my own, faster pace and higher grade, but nothing set by the treadmill. I might have to try it sometime after the weather starts getting cool again.

Most of the machines will warn you when it speeds up, slows down, up hill and down.

The programs does break up the the boredom of running in the same place.