My boyfriend has been feeling a burning and itching pain in the middle of his back. The pain shoots around his side, up under his arm, and over to his chest. Sometimes the pain is worse than other times. Although the pain is associated with burning and itching he has not had numbness. What could cause this unusual pain and shoud he be worried?

did you happen to find out what it was?

Having very similar issues. for 2 monhs now. let me know how you guys go

i no how your boyfriend feels i got pain running in my body i got a feel of a cut in the middle of my hand that goes down the middle of my nuckles then it cuts in 2 my hand it kills like hell i dont no what 2 do but i am getting used to it i have a a pain in y back that goes right the top right side to the midway and the most painful 1 is the chest it feels like a shot wonded i wish i know what 2 do cuz when it happens i cant move i feel like it is killing me from the inside 2-5 ppl have seen me like that i never want ppl 2 see me like it i dont want them 2 no how i feel it happens for nothing it starts from nothing and the pain well its somthing i wish i had somthing to do about it... owell i hope your boyfriend gets better soon i never want him 2 feel like me with all the pain i get

I am having the same type symptoms. Has anyone found out what this is?
Thanks

**edited by moderator**

Do you smoke ? and if yes quit it

Guest wrote:

tigersfirstaldy wrote:

I had something similar to this -- an intense almost burning itch between my spine and left shoulder blade, sometimes echoing up and around to my left collar bone. I've carried my backpack and purse exclusively over my left shoulder ever since high school, and that was the culprit. (And sat hunched slightly forward at a computer most of the day, which is when it would really start to burn. Also pull-ups and push-ups exacerbated the burn.)

The solution was to do daily stretching: the cobra pose from yoga (lie face down and gently push upper body up with arms, so spine curves into a backward bend. Hold, and lower gently), and a doorway-assisted stretch (hold side of doorway with left hand, step forward with right leg and lean onto leg until the left arm straightens out behind you and you feel a stretch in the left pec/shoulder. Don't pull back up to standing with the arm; push back up to standing with the right knee/leg. If you pull, you'll make the problem worse.)

This began to alleviate the burning pain in my left shoulder/back after only a few days. Sometimes it comes back if I don't stretch regularly (especially if I do an upper body workout), and that's my cue to return to the stretching regimen.

Really hope this helps. Good luck!

Im sorry to hear about this. I have something very similar, a burning feeling in my back and chest which is even worse at night and makes it impossible to sleep. If I could describe the feeling it's like looking at an electric stove top and watching it turn red with heat. There is no redness or rash or anything just the intense heat. This happened at exactly the same time last year around the beginning of Sept. and by Oct. I was desperate and went to a TCM (traditional chinese medicine doctor) after a few sessions of acupuncture and daily "cooling herbs" I had my last episode at the end of Dec. and was symptom free for 9 months and now it's back. I am back to my TCM but can't take the herbs right now for other reasons but will start as soon as I can. I have never consulted alternative medicine before but I was desperate after 3 or 4 Dr. had never heard of such a thing and couldn't help. Good luck. This is awful to live with. Oh by the way my TCM didn't even blink an eye when I went to see him, he referred to it as the "lantern".

okay i dont really have an answer to your question but i have some info that could help you out. I had the same symptons a few days ago, but slowly realised that i was getting rashes on my back from the itching. The itching would go from my back, under my arm (armpit) and across by chest, but the pain and pulses come from my shoulder blade. I went to the doctors thinking it was shingles, but the doctor diagnosed it as herpes. I was shocked because herpes is an STI therefore i wouldnt have had it on my back!.. He told me as an athlete i could have got it by the mixing of towels/clothes in the changing rooms. I couldnt believe it was HERPES, so i looked up in the internet and i still havent found a site that explains herpes on the upper back as it is normally found in genital areas and mouths. Although when i researched the word HERPES, there was an explanation to my symptons, the stinging feels like electric shocks and this is because the herpes is attacking the nerve cells. I was given a cream for this, but i have a feeling its not going to cure my problem. I suggest you take him to the doctors to get it checked out
i hope this helped x

Hi there, this question is exactly the same question i have been asking for the past 5 days. It started off with a stinging pain every now and then on the shoulder blade, but slowly itching was involved.. lost of itching! A few days later my under arm and chest started itching so badly and the burning sensation felt like pulses ever now and then. i noticed i was starting to get a rash from all the scratching, so i went to the doctors this morning thinking that the itches/rash had something to do with shingles. Positive it was shingles, the doctor diagnosed me with a family of HERPES! i didnt understand how i could have had an similar case of an STI on my back!!!! Although ive been looking all over the internet, i have found no other siuation like mine as herpes is passed onto the genital area or mouth; but... herpes symptons are the same symptons that i currently have as herpes attacks the nerve cells causing the electric shocks i feel every now and then. Im currently using a cream called aciclovir 5% w/w cream. Im using it around the itchy/stininging area and it has drastically calmed down. I know this isnt the same situation as ur Bf but i hope this helped! if the itching carries on i suggest u take him to the doctors

Umm. Guest shingles is herpes. Herpes Zoster to be exact. It is contagious only to those who have not had chicken pox. Sorry to burst yhour bubble. Also, herpes zoster only breakes out on only one side of the body. Either left or right. You can get it on your back and check together but it will materialize only on the right or left.

Trust me, I have been suffering from it for a while now.

[I've been having these same feelings and it is so frustrating. I have pain under my left breast and itching under the breast along with pain that radiates in my left arm,shoulder and it has been going on for a while now. I have been to several doctors and they rule out everything to nerves. but my left side is hurting so bad and it makes me so anxious that i am finding it hard to stay focused and i am finding myself taking nerve pills every day]

thanks i found this to be alot of help.i was feeling burning in my back and sides and forgot i did alot of sit ups.went to the doctors and they couldnt figure out what it was and after reading this story no i know what is causing it.

I to have had these symptoms not for a long tim though.. It usually felt like burning electricity in the middle lower back, the worst I ever had was when it started in my back as usual the spread all over my back and wrapping aroun to my front torso, spreading down my legs and also up over and around my neck and head

I have been fighting mid spine burning, brused feeling pain with itching and tingling. I have severe pain in my arms, neck, legs and feet all with severe numbness, tingling and moderate to severe headaches every day. It also is causing severe nervousness and anxiety as well as mental confussion and visual disturbances! When I use narcotic pain releivers or benzodiazepines for nerves / anxiety they make me worse. I have been fighting this in cycles for the past 10 plus years! It started in an instant and has progressed and yeilding more and more symptoms. I have tried everything I know and been to doctor after doctor- no answers. All they do is try to pawn a damn SSRI inhibitor / Anti-depressant off on me as if it is a wonder drug cure all. I have become disabled from all of these symptoms and more and getting worse! I truly believe that one of the main reasons I am not getting a proper and acurate diagnosis is because all I have insurance wise is Medicare and out of my own pocket!