I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BACTERTIAL VAGINOSIS AND MY PARTNER, WHO WAS IN A RELATIONSHIP PRIOR TO OURS, WAS TREATED AS WELL. THE DOCTOR PRESCRIBED FLAGYL AND IT REALLY WORKED FOR ME; HOWEVER, AFTER HAVING SEX WITH MY PARTNER I NOTICED I HAVE THE SAME SYMPTOMS AS BEFORE AND I WAS WONDERING WHETHER OR NOT THE ANTIBIOTIC THAT WAS GIVEN TO HIM WORKED. UNFORTUNATELY I DO NOT KNOW WHAT HE TOOK FOR THE INFECTION. I'M CONFUSED BECAUSE EVERYTHING I READ DOESN'T SEEM TO ADDRESS WHETHER MEN SHOULD BE TREATED OR NOT.....PLEASE HELP.

YES!!! Men need to be treated and more DOCTORS need to educate themselves on this fact. You will CONTINUALLY get infected if only one partner takes the medication. Find yourself a woman doctor they seem to be more informed about this.
You will notice a fishy odor within 48/72 hours upon infection. If you let it go a week the odor has been said to smell like (a wet dog). Men can have little to NO SYMPTOMS.
The medication to clear the infection is FLAGYL/Generic METRONIDAZOLE,
500 Mg 2x's a day for a week. Men need to take the same medication but the dose is 500 Mg 2x's the first day and only once a day the following 3 days. If your partner does not believe they are part of the problem, what's one set of antibiotics to test that they might be wrong and clear everything up. TRUST ME - THEY'RE WRONG.
Best of luck, All Clear Now

So please tell me how u know this. I keep getting BV and i am wondering about my boyfriend. Should he get treated? And, how do you know about the diagnosis for men?

I had to go through at lest 20-30 places to find this out the doctor told me nothing about my partner i find that really stupid considering is has to do with your vagina and boyfriends we know the possibilities duh!

yes men need to be treated asap!! a girl gave me a bacterial infection that could not be found or treated! i went with symptoms to the doctor to be told i couldnt be infected! after correct treatment i cleared the infection and can now feel better!!

does men have the fishy oder in there penis ?

I asked my Ob/Gyn about whether BV has symptoms, can be detected, passed on and treated in men. He said this:

Men typically have little or NO symptoms - meaning they can be asymptomatic but be carriers. The ideal place for BV to flourish is the vagina, but men's urethral openings - and if they are not circumsized, their foreskin - may contain the BV.

Men typically do not feel the same symptoms, so many do not know they have it. And - there are NO tests to check for it in men, though men can have a urethral swab test done for other STI's. By the way, because BV is a naturally occurring bacteria in the body, so it is not considered an STI when it goes off-balance producing symptoms.

HOWEVER, it CAN travel with other STI's so it's important for both partners to be tested for STI's together for double-confirmation, and treated at the same time to clear the infection and prevent re-infection. An increase in the frequency of sex, new sex partners, and multiple sex partners can contribute to developing BV. [Also, if partners engage in anal sex, even with condoms, the close proximity with the vagina, and the mixing of fluids to and from the vagina and rectum, can cause an increase the incidence of BV.]

If left untreated, BV can cause complications, primarily for the woman.

Hope this helps. More information was also helpful in this article: ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

^ I just posted above, and forgot to mention 2 very important things:

1) When on the Flagyl medication (or generic, and probably also the other medication) DO NOT DRINK ANY ALCOHOL, AS IT WILL MAKE YOU VERY SICK!

2) DO NOT engage in sexual contact until treatment is completed - a few days after ALL medication is finished.

Ask your doctor about these important precautions!

Let me tell you, my boyfriend and I just broke up because for the last 10-months, I've been infected with BV 3x. I am mortified, and currently on the Flagly which always works at getting rid of the infection. He has not yet been treated and it has caused a rift in our relationship. He feels that if a doctor tells him that he doesn't have it, then I'm still going to want him to take the Flagyl, which I confirmed was the correct assumption. He went to a doctor a month or so ago, and the doctor (male) asked to speak with me over the phone while he was being examined. This doctor had a very passive demeanor about the situation, and proceeded to tell me that he didn't think that my guy had it and suggested that I be treated for Trich. I then explained to him that I tested negative for that, and that I'm getting re-infected over and over because my parter DOES have it. Long story short, my ex walked out of the doctor's office with no meds and no prescription. I was livid at this doctor! It's stupid to think that men wouldn't carry the infection, even though they don't have a warm, dark, moist environment for the bacteria to perpetuate. Oh, and my ex is not circumcised, and regardless of how meticulous he may think he is about cleaning under and around his foreskin, it can still carry bacteria. We all sweat in our private areas, and if a man isn't circumcised, then it CAN be a problem for women (sorry guys, don't want to offend).

So yes, please have your guy treated, regardless of what any doctor sais. There's nothing worse for a woman than losing all confidence in herself because she's worried that other people can smell her private parts as she passes by or stands up from seated position. My infections ended up having me smelling like something crawled into my vagina and died. It was awful! I'm currently on Flagyl again, and so excited that I'm starting to smell like my normal self. I was even reserved 1 refill over the next 12months, but he didn't seem to jump at the opportunity to take it. We could've filled it at the pharmacy while avoiding doctor's visits and the cost of tests and treatments (he doesn't have health insurance). That was unreasonable on his part.

I received this prescription from a very well-informed midwife who told me that I should get into the habit of using Rephresh gel a few times a week, for maintenance, if I'm still sleeping with my now ex without a condom, and that I should also take acidophius daily. She also said that Flagyl is usually used to treat stomach infections in men, which may be another reason that doctors won't give it to male patients who are afraid that they may have BV. Still, we have to be an advocate for our own health. Doctors usually only find treatments plausible if there is substantial research to back it up. That is a huge flaw in the practice of medicine.

Don't let a doctor tell you or your beau that he doesn't have the infection if you're constantly becoming re-infected, especially if you didn't have this problem before you started engaging in unprotected sex with him. As for my ex, what a shame for him. Good for me though, that I won't ever have to worry about a smelly vagina again. Men, please get treatment! Tell the doctor that you WILL NOT walk out of that office without Flagyl (regardless of the fact that it's usually used to treat stomach infections in men). The Flagyl WILL work for you and her. Be kind to your lady by not unintentionally re-infecting her.

I would like to thank you for these posts regarding men needing treatment for BV ~ it is imperative that men, women AND Doctors need to understand that MEN DO NEED TO BE TREATED FOR BV. The medication to clear the infection is FLAGYL/Generic METRONIDAZOLE,
I have a very strong sense of smell and have detected the slightest fishy odor in the man that passed it onto me and shouldn't have slept with him not thinking this would be a reoccurring problem going forward in my sex life!
I have found one man that I want to be with now and he was infected but after we were both treated it hasn't come back since.
Please, make people more aware of this - I looked forever for the name of the treatment again but found most sites said men do not need to be treated THIS IS A LIE.
The treatment is a pill that they take and upsets their stomach slightly but it is WELL worth it.

Thanksbuddy gr8 help

Many people are suggesting that their men get treatment on this site, which may not be a bad idea, especially if they are carriers; however, another possibility that I don't see addressed here is that your guy may still have another partner that you are unaware of.  I will tell you that I PERSONALLY know that that after your partner sleeps with someone else, it takes 11-12 days before you start to experience the smell that comes with BV....almost 2 weeks.  If you have recurring BV and your partner has been treated with you, it's time to start considering other alternatives for why you may continue to get it.  Most of you looking for a cure probably have researched this topic enough to know that is is about the bacteria....each woman has bacteria specific to her body.  When your guy has sex with you, and it's just you and him, it's the bacteria that your body has grown accustomed to that enters your body (which is why after the first couple of times with a NEW partner, you get BV until your body grows accustomed to him).  Now, here begins the problem for some of you.....if he has sex with someone else, and then again with you within 48 hours after the "other person", he can transmit that person's bacteria to you. Your body will recognize this bacteria as foreign because it's not one that your body has grown accustomed to.  That pretty much means that 11-12 days later, you end up with BV, but he may have slept with someone else 13 or 14 days ago.  How do I know this? I have had BV a few times.  I kept a trusted diary for one.  Secondly, I had a long talk with my doctor.  I watched my partner, and then I agreed to have a threesome with him because he was such a liar, that I was at my wits end to catch him.  Lo and behold, it worked exactly how I am telling you it all worked.  When I realized how I must have been getting it all along, I dropped his behind ASAP!  I only share this with you to say don't leave out the possibility that your guy may have more that you as a sexual partner! (Especially for those of you who have a Mirena....this may be why you get it as often!)  If your man waits 48 hours after having sex with her and before having sex with you, he should be ok without having to take anything. 

You are so right, lost a man I had 6 years I was treated his doctor said no he did not treat, and likewise my gyno prescribed extra afteer speaking with him on the phone, still he would not take it. I got out of relationship with him due to his stupidity over such stuff and he was dead in 2 years , yep prostate cancer ! He just wouldn't listen to me and now he is dead, doctors do not do their patients a favor by not treating them for BV. Since I have been with man for 5 years and now have a case of BV, think he;s been getting out and caught it, back to no sex for me, as it doesn't appear from thin air, I am well aware

Can you get it from giving a guy oral?

Can you give bv to a male by giving oral if you have it?