my doctor told me I have bacterial infection. my boyfriend had unprotected sex with another woman & he found out she has the infection too, did I get this infection from him? & do men get bacterial infection & what are a man's symptoms? I have been treated, but my boyfriend hasent been treated yet. is bacterial infection STD?

Legend
Hello there,

You said bacterial infection??? What kind of bacteria? There’re a lot of bacteria’s which could provoke genital infection. It could be bacterial vaginosis, genital candidiasis or other kind of Sexual Transmitted Diseases. The connection between bacterial infection and STD is much related. Often, the bacterial infection is a trigger to a genital disease. All bacterial or viral infections transmitted via sexual intercourse are sorted under STD. Here are some bacterial STDs:
Bacterial Vaginosis or BV is the most common vaginal infection in women of childbearing age and is accompanied by discharge, odor, pain, itching and burning. BV is associated with an imbalance in vaginal bacteria when the "good or healthy" bacteria normally found become outnumbered by "bad or harmful" bacteria. The cause of BV is not completely understood, however, it is known that women who are sexually active and have multiple partners are far more susceptible.
Chancroid is a treatable bacterial infection that causes painful sores.

Chlamydia is a treatable bacterial infection that can scar the fallopian tubes affecting a woman's ability to have children.

Crabs or in medical area also known as pediculosis pubis, crabs are parasites or bugs that live on the pubic hair in the genital area.

Gonorrhea is a treatable bacterial infection of the penis, vagina or anus that causes pain, or burning feeling as well as a pus-like discharge.

Herpes Genital herpes is a recurrent skin condition that can cause skin irritations in the genital region (anus, vagina, penis).

Nongonococcal Urethritis (NGU) Nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) is a nongonorrheal bacterial infection of the urethra (tube that carries urine out of the body) in men. NGU involves chlamydia trachomatis, which causes chlamydia. The term NGU refers to the condition in men and chlamydia refers to the condition in women.

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease PID is one of the most common and serious conditions of STD's. PIV is infection of the female reproductive organs by chlamydia, gonorrhea or other bacteria.

Syphilis A treatable bacterial infection that can spread throughout the body and affect the heart, brain, nerves.

Yeast Infections Yeast Infections (vulvovaginal candidiasis) are a common cause of vaginal irritation (or vaginitis) and usually result in itching, burning and irritation typically without an odorous discharge. Vaginal discharge is not always present, but can be a thick, whitish-gray discharge often described as being cottage-cheese like in nature. Most male partners of women with yeast infections do not experience any symptoms, however, a transient rash and burning sensation of the penis has been reported after intercourse if a condom was not used.

I think your doctor told you which bacteria have been found by you? Of course, in case of a STD, both partners shall ask for medical help immediately!

Please let us know which kind of bacterial infection is diagnosed by you, so we could help you and give you advices and treatment therapies.

Take care!

Pseud0

If your boyfriend has been infected by some bacteria, and if you two have had sex, it is most likely that you have the same infection transmitted from him. What kind of bacteria does he have? What are your symptoms? Whatever it is, you both should treat it immediately!
Of course men can get bacterial infections, the studies has shown that the two thirds of tested men carry bacterial infections in their reproductive systems. In most cases the infection symptoms occur when the number of bacteria is extremely enlarged. Men hardly ever have any symptoms.
STD are caused by different kinds of bacteria, the most common ones are vaginitis, gonorrhea, Chlamydia, syphilis, etc.
If you need some further information on this topic, you can ask anytime but you need to tell us what kind of bacteria do you have so that we could be more specific.

Edima Enyong wrote:

Bacterial infections are STI's... Yes there is a difference between diseases and infections... i have to do a report on them in my sex class

My doctor just told me I had bacterial infection she didnt say what kind of bacteria I had. I didnt know there was different kinds of bacteria. my symptoms were itching,odor, & some discharge & a little pain from & around my vigina. my doctor perscribed medication called metronidazol 500mg. generic for flagyl 500mg. I took the medication 2 times a day for 1 week & my boyfriend & I didnt have sex during that time. then I called again & I talked to her nurse, she told me everything was okay & that my boyfrined didnt need to go to the doctors, my ph balance is okay & that it was safe for us to have sex & we did. then a few weeks later I found out my boyfriend had unprotected sex again with anither women & she had bacterial infection too! I dont have any of the symptoms anymore. my boyfriend didnt go to the doctors, so I dont know what kind of bacteria he has! do you think I need to go back to my doctors? or only if the symptoms come back? should I be tested for STD'S? did he get this from having sex with other women?

The infection you had was probably bacterial vaginosis, which is not associated with STD’s. As far as I know, flagyl could be prescribed for this kind of infection. Bacterial vaginosis may occur as a complication of yeast infection, anti-yeast medications, excessive douching and vaginal washing, often change in sexual partners, etc. this infection means that there is an overgrowth of bad bacteria that already lives in vagina and is not considered to be an STD.

I assume this is the case, because usually in these kind of infections, partners need not to be cured. If it were an STD, he would have to have a treatment as well.

If you had an examination after your treatment and your doc said everything was ok, then you don’t need to see her again unless you develop the symptoms again.

It could be a coincidence that this other girl developed bacterial infection as well.

The same thing happened to me, but it's not a STD

I wanted to find out if my boy friend have a pubic infection. Because he said that he found pus comeing out, no colors, no burning. and no itching.

I want to know if he might have it or not, no system but pus coming out.

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS AND WAS PRESCRIBED FLAGYL, WHICH REALLY HELPED. MY PARTNER WAS IN A RELATIONSHIP PRIOR TO OURS. HE WAS TREATED AS WELL BUT I HAVE IT AGAIN. COULD IT BE THAT THE ANTIBIOTICS THAT WERE GIVEN TO HIM DIDN'T WORK?

I've read a lot about BV, and it is reoccuring. Although men dont usually have symptoms, its possible. Bacterial vaginosis occurs in women of child bearing age and there are even cases which have occured in women who arent sexually active.
In short, its an imbalance, that doesnt have anything to do with STD's, or any sort of disease.

I am in need of some answers. My fiance was diagnosed with chlamydia a few years ago, but the infection is recurrent. He has been on antibiotics many different types for 2 months now, some which he took yrs ago when diagnosed. As a result of the infection he is suffering from prostatitis and chronic leg and back pain. Also he developed Peyronies Disease and chronic hives. He has seen his regular dr, an STD dr, and an urologist...no one seems to be able to help him but the symptoms are not getting better. testing shows no other problems or infections other than these things..what steps should we take now to find help or a cure??

My fiance was diagnosed with chlamydia a few yrs ago and it has not been cured. The infection is recurrent and he has now developed chronic leg and back pain and prostatitis because of it. He has been on Oflaxacin, Bactrum, and Cipro to treat these problems previously and for the past 2 months, but the symptoms are recurrent. He has now developed Peyronies Disease and chronic hives which we think are linked to this same issue. He has seen his regular dr, STD dr., and a urologist....none which seem to be able to help him. He has not been diagnosed with anything other than these symptoms or illnesses and is suffereing from depression as a result of all that is going on. What advice can you give us to help with these problems.

For the last year i keep geting vaginosis bacterial infections. It seems like its every month or every other month i get it. I'll go to the doctors and they will give me the treatments and it goes away but when i have sex with my boyfriend without a condom it seems to come back. I told my doctor this and she told me that men dont carry it. If thats true then why does it come back everytime i have sex with him!?! Its driving me crazy. He doesnt have insurance so i cant get him to go to a doctor to find out if he has something but if he can carry this infection i will make him seek treatment! please help me!

Ive been dealing with recurrent symptoms of excessive discharge and burning frequent urination. I have been cleared of all STDs along with UTI. I was diagnosed and treated for BV with the symptoms a months ago. Everything was fine until me and my husband had sex and then my symtoms came back. I was told men dont need treatment. I just want to finally get rid of this problem...