So, it is itchy down there! A lot! I don't know what to do, it itches every day, every night, no matter where I am. I just want to starch myself but I can't. I know that I have a yeast infection because I had it once and now it happens to me again. The symptoms are the same and I am losing my mind about this right now. I was looking for some advice and I found a couple of them. One seems really easy, but I don't know does it works. So, I will ask you - Does yeast infection treatment at home with yogurt solves the itching and cottage cheese discharge?

Health Guru

It can do in certain cases because it helps to restore the natural bacteria inside the vagina, dip a tampon in natural unsweetened and in must be unsweetened then insert for a couple hours twice a day, natural live yogurt again unsweetened is best.

Hello there. Thank you for sharing this advice with me. I have to say that I read your post very soon, as soon as I posted my question, and I started to do that, but now I can say that I haven't seen a big progression at all. I don't know if there something that I did wrong or what, is there maybe a proper way on how to do that, how to do this whole procedure, but I still can feel this ugly smell and I still have this cottage cheese discharge. I was happy when I got my period because this smell just went away, but as soon as my period ended - it was there again.

Celebrity

I think that yogurt is one of the home remedies that are useful as well. Also, the yogurt is really a good thing and an amazing solution because it offers a long-term solution. Why? Because it does not only deal with the symptoms but also the root because that is the imbalance of the vaginal flora. Doctors say that it is a good thing to take a yogurt after the antibiotics and also you should add it to your daily menu. So, in order to treat an infection, it is recommended to drink 2-3 cups of yogurt daily for a few weeks. 

Health Guru
Sorry I haven't replied sooner but missed the notification of your post, using yogurt isn't something that will clear it up in a few days like prescribed medication will because it works a different way by building up the good bacteria in your vagina and letting your own body fight the yeast infection naturally so can take several months to work depending on the severity of the infection.

Oh, thank you. I am always silly because I do believe that I can fight against some issue or some disease with some cures that I can find at home. Of course, I was always choosing those that are cheaper. I know that this was a mistake. Anyway, I was always scared to visit a gynecologist as well, maybe that was a reason why I was seeking for those home medications. Thank you so much for your information and your reply, you gave me the enthusiasm to visit my doctor and to seek a proper solution. Actually, it has been two years since my last visit to my doctor and I think that I was struggling with too many different diseases. I believed that I have cured it, but I am not so sure now...

Hi there. We all can explain this very simple. Like this - it is known that yogurt contains Lactobacillus acidophilus, That is a bacterium that also happens to be found in healthy vaginas. Now, you are getting a bigger picture, right? Well, that Acidophilus kills yeast by producing hydrogen peroxide. That is why a lot of us are using yogurt to treat a yeast infection. Usually, you just put it gently into your vagina. In this case, I agree that antibiotics can't help you solve this problem, but that doesn't mean that you don't need to visit a doctor. You need! 

Health Guru

How do antibiotics help treat yeast? The balance of the vagina is made up of lactobacillus acidophilus bacteria as you say as well as a few other different bacteria what help to keep the pH at a healthy level in the vagina there for preventing yeast infections of bacteria vaginosis, if the bacteria varies either way the pH value will change causing either yeast or bv depending if it goes up or down.
Antibiotics kill bacteria that's in the body there for the bacteria in the vagina dies and the pH balance is upset causing yeast to take over so for yeast you need to use medication to treat fungal infections what antibiotics won't touch, if you get bv though because its a bacteria infection then antibiotics are needed and a side effect of that is a yeast infection after the bv has cleared up.
Even though antibiotics have a high spectrum of uses they only fight bacteria infections and not yeast!

They helped me, at least I think so. When I did the test again, the yeast infection was gone. And he prescribed some antibiotics for me, and I also noticed that this fishy smell really disappeared. So, I went immediately to see my doctor, we did the test again and after seven days, when I got my results, everything was OK. So, that is why I strongly believe that antibiotics helped me, even if I do know what you are saying. Is there any chance that this yeast infection could disappear on its own? Or maybe this really was not a yeast infection, maybe the doctor made a mistake?

Health Guru
You read up on antibiotics and you find that the spectrum of things they treat does not include fungus.
Bacteria vaginosis.
White or grey fishy-smelling discharge. If your discharge is white or grey, thin and watery, and has an unpleasant fishy smell, you may have bacterial vaginosis (BV). This is an imbalance in the normal bacteria found in your vagina. It doesn't usually cause other symptoms, such as itching or irritation.

BV treatments are...

Antibiotics are the recommended treatment for bacterial vaginosis. A few antibiotic remedies are routinely used and include:

metronidazole (Flagyl) taken by either oral (pill) form or vaginal metronidazole gel (Metrogel). The oral metronidazole can cause some minor but unpleasant side effects, but is believed to be the most effective treatment. The gels do not typically cause side effects, although yeast vaginitis can occur as a side effect of the medication.
vaginal clindamycin cream (Cleocin)
tinidazole (Tindamax) is an antibiotic that appears to be effective in treating bacterial vaginosis, and may have fewer side effects than metronidazole.

A vaginal yeast infection is a fungal infection that causes irritation, discharge and intense itchiness of the vagina and the vulva — the tissues at the vaginal opening. It's a type of vaginitis, or inflammation of the vagina.

Yeast infection treatments are...
For simple yeast infections, your doctor will usually prescribe a 1-3 day regimen of an antifungal cream, ointment, tablet, or suppository. These medications can be in prescription or over-the-counter (OTC) form.

Common medications include:

butoconazole (Gynazole)
miconazole (Lotrimin)
Monistat
terconazole (Terazol)
fluconazole (Diflucan)
Women with simple yeast infections should follow up with their doctors to make sure the medicine worked. A follow-up will also be necessary if your symptoms return within two months. If you recognize that you have a yeast infection, you can also treat yourself at home with OTC products.

There are at least 7 different types of bacteria in the vagina and also a small number of yeast spores so if the pH levels change from around 4 and above BV infection will take occur if the pH level drops below 4 then yeast will occur.

Antibiotic use: Antibiotics can destroy bacteria that protect the vagina or alter the balance of bacteria that are normally present. A vaginal yeast infection may develop during or after the use of antibiotics taken to treat other conditions such as strep throat.
The normal treatment for yeast is antifungal medication either taken orally, as a pessary inserted into the vagina or as a ointment applied to the vagina.

I totally have to agree with this. Antibiotics never helped me treating yeast infection. I was a fool believing that they could, and I know that one doctor told me that it is OK to try. I never saw any progress. Then, I was reading a little bit about this and I find out that this is quite impossible. It was just like you are telling. People would say anything, some won't even think about the consequences because they want to be healed as fast as they can. But sometimes it takes a time until you are fully recovered. Antibiotics can help you in treating a yeast infection, I have tried once and I would never do it again. There is nothing better than antifungal medication! Nothing!

OK, now I get it. It is much easier for me to understand when you write it like this. Now, I can't without wondering, was the yeast infection a proper diagnose? Maybe my gynecologist really made a mistake or maybe just this infection was gone by itself. I also do believe that the yogurt can be a wake-up call if you have this issue before you go to the gynecologist, but I don't believe that it can solve a problem alone. Anyway, it is not hard for me to take it because I really do drink yogurt on the daily basis. 

Health Guru
If a doctor or gyno is telling or has prescribed antibiotics to treat yeast then they are wrongly prescribing medication, this is half the reason why they are running out of antibiotics that actually work now because they have been given out to treat illnesses they have no use for an causing the body to get immune to them, you said in your previous post your discharge had a fishy smell to it I would say that would of been caused by bacteria vaginosis not yeast as discharge from that has no real odor only a cottage cheese texture.
I'm glad you was able to understand it better with that explanation and hope it helps you in the future, not sure drinking yogurt will help prevent vaginal yeast but it will help digestion as the bacteria and enzimes in it will help the gut.