HELP!! let me start by saying I am SO confused and really need an answer on this topic... I am 22 years old and have had bacterial vaginosis once in my past, with NO symptoms whatsoever.

NOW this is where the problem is:I started dating my (now ex) boyfriend in September. For the first month, we were having unprotected sex and he was pulling out.  After about a month he asked if he could ejaculate inside me, which I was never too fond of in the past, but I wanted to please him and since I am on the pill, I didn't see why not.  After a few times of him ejaculating inside of me, I noticed a strong, foul, fishy odor I had never had down there before, and a discharge that would vary from white to yellowish, sometimes thick, and sometimes runny, with small traces of blood.  I also began to feel EXTREME pain during intercourse, so much that I could hardly bare it.  I thought it was a yeast infection, so I used an OTC 3 day treatment.  The symptoms went away for a few days, so I had sex with him again, and they came right back! At this point I thought he had cheated on me, contracted an STD, and given it to me. So, I went to the doctors and got tested, and everything came back negative but I was told I did have a case of BV.  I stopped having sex with my boyfriend, was treated with pills and it went away. After the treatment we had sex again, and after a few times, the odor, unbareable pain during sex, the itch, burn, and discharge were back! I went back to my doctor and was treated for BV again but with the vaginal gel.  I asked the Doctor if my boyfriend might be a carrier, passing it onto me when we have intercourse.  She told me that BV is not sexually transmitted.  I do not understand how this could possibly be a coincidence!! It does not make sense!!!!

In the first week of December, we split up. We last had intercourse on Thanksgiving Day, and the sex hurt so bad I wanted to cry and there was an embarrassing amount of thick white discharge on his penis when we were done. The day after we broke up I had an appointment with my gyno about the reoccuring BV, and I figured since we had just split up, I might as well get tested for STDs again, just to be sure.  Once again, everything was negative EXCEPT for the BV. I was treated again, and had not had ANY type of sexual contact with anyone since.  The symptoms went away and I finally felt FREE from the embarrassment BV was causing me.

Me and my ex decided to remain close friends, as we were before we dated.  I have seen him almost every day since the split, with mutual friends and even alone, but we had not had any sexual contact. BUT about 5 days ago I agreed to go spend some time at my ex's house alone. I did not plan on having intercourse with him, otherwise I would have brought a condom since we have been separated.  I ended up dozing off with him, and we had unprotected intercourse in the morning, with no pain, and he ejaculated inside of me.  I went home, took a shower and went to work.  Within a couple of hours I started to feel the symptoms I have been describing from BV.  Since then I have had a foul odor and heavy white discharge, just like in the past. I have not had sex since so I don't know about the pain.  I have not yet been to the doctor for this as I still have a lot of the vaginal gel left that seemed to work very effectively in the past, and I began using it last night before bed as directed.

MY QUESTION IS

WHY do I get BV whenever he ejaculates inside me?  I have never had this problem with any of my other boyfriends in the past.AND If it is not sexually transmitted, WHY does it only happen when I have sex with him?

We have been discusing getting back together, but I am worried we will never be able to have a normal, healthy sex life together.  I understand that this may be prevented by the use of condoms, but I would like to have SOME TYPE of answer as to WHY this is happening to me, because I hate the feeling of condoms, which is why i am on the pill and prefer to be in a monogamous relationship than single.  I just want to be healthy and have a healthy relationship where both partners are sexually satisfied and a life without reoccuring BV!!! HELP!!

Hi Help,

BV isn't a virus and it is not a bacterial infection - exactly.  It's more a response to the presence of a bacteria.

Basically what it is, is, the "good" and "bad" bacteria that should be in your vagina get "out of balance."  

Many men carry G. Vaginalis.   While your ex-boyfriend may not be a "carrier" of BV itself, G. Vaginalis certainly can be the trigger.  

Is your ex circumcised?  The odds of you getting BV, and him having G. Vaginalis, increase if he is not circumcised.  It may be hygiene related.  You might try having him thoroughly wash his penis, including under the foreskin, before any sexual contact.

Hope it helps.

Semen has a higher PH than your vagina and a higher PH may promote BV. Did you ever test your own PH? (Before and after BV). You can also try Lactobacillus supplements or suppositories or Rephresh to help balance the PH / restore a good vaginal flora.

I started having problems after taking a z-pack (antibiotics) for pneumonia. I first got a yeast infection, then I got BV and it just kept reoccurring from there. I was either having signs of a yeast infection or signs of BV, I could never get a break. My vagina's PH was always too high (usually indicates BV).

Have they ruled out Strep B? I know it is said to be asymptomatic, but I am reading more and more that some women experience "papercut-like" cuts on the labia, discharge and odour.

Semen has a ph of 8 or higher, the vagina supposed to have a ph of 4.0-5.0. The vagina likes to be acidic whereas semen is akaline . Mix the two and here comes trouble. Taking a daily probiotic and eating yogurt typically helps with this issue. Making sure there is adequate lubrication is key as well. Hope this helps. I have worked in women's health for 15+ years and a lot of women have this issue . No need to be embarrassed dear.

I get it constantly. Every time I have sex. It never fully goes away. It's ruining my sex life. I've talked to docs and they just give me stupid pills. I have tried everything. Bathing in apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil, be suppositories from Walgreens which sort of help. It sucks!!!! I'm so self conscious.

Have you found anything that helps?

I swear I have the same exact problem. And ita just him and no one else. Only when me and him have unprotected sex. I don't understand

Get tested for ureaplasma/mycoplasma. Recurrent BV is the number one symptom. Get tested! Trust me!

Not sure how long ago this post was but your answer is YES. I dated someone for 3 years and this kept happening to me, every time he used a condom, I was fine.. Some days he wouldn't use a condom but he would pull out and still totally fine. After 3 frikin years of trial an error, I can tell you I have the same exact problem (hence the google search that brought me to this page, lol) My analysis suggests that our PH levels are very sensitive to that of semen. When we let someone ejaculate inside of us, the PH levels go out of whack and bring about BV almost instantly. I would wait anywhere between 6 hrs to 2 days after intercourse until I started feeling the symptoms of the BV most severely. Honestly, unprotected sex has been fine for me it's the pulling out part that's important. I would highly suggest using condoms anyway- hey, I've been there but your chances of catching an STD are much higher if your PH balance is thrown off more easily. So, to answer your question, yes it's the alkaline in the sperm. I have the same exact problem..

Can a women be allergic to her man's semen which would cause BV. And having 2 different men ejaculate in u within 2 hrs of each other increase chances of getting a bacteial infection?

I get the same way if I don't wash the inside of my vagina right away I get bv then yeast infection and he washes before and after and I only get it when his sperm is bit washed out right away....

Try hydrogen peroxide

This same thing happens to me after my boyfriend cums in me I really don't understand what's going on doctor say I don't have an Std just a bacteria infection , we been together 3 years and I wonder if this can affect us having a child

If I may ask, how do you 'wash' the inside of your vagina? Ivery tried to sit and let it drip out, I've tried so many things, but I still always get bv. How do I get the inside of my vagina clean? Thank you so much!

OMG I TOO EXPERIENCE THE SAME EXACT SITUATION WHEN MY BOYFRIEND PENETRATES INSIDE OF ME I TRY TO EXPLAIN AND ASK HIM TO USE CONDOMS HE GETS MAD AND WILL PUT IT ON BUT RIP IT ON PURPOSE OR HE REFUSES I GET THIS EVERYTIME WE HAVE SEX I CANT EVEN ENJOY SEX WITH HIM BECAUSE OF IT