I have been diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis over a year ago and I was curious can my boyfriend get it?We use a condom everytime we have sex and during foreplay he might go into me for like a couple of minutes but then put one on.Can he still get it?

Bacterial Vaginosis isn't an STD, it's more that the bacteria are out of balance in your vagina. So, he really can't catch anything.

Usually males aren't treated for this.

Hope it helps.

Ok I was not totally sure or not if he could get it.I have heard from one doctor that guy's cant get it then I went to another doctor and said that guy's could get.So I was not positive on what to really believe.

It's not really that he can't get it. He can get the bacteria on him, but he can't really "host" the bacteria. The bacteria really needs conditions like your vagina to grow.

Hope it helps.

So I really dont need to worry about him getting sick and all that.He's a clean person most of the time so I was not to worried about him getting what I had.I just wanted to make sure it would not cause him any harm or anything.I'm just really paranoid about it I guess.

Hi Kelly,

I don't think you're being paranoid, I think you're being concerned for your boyfriend.

No, don't worry. It won't harm him.

I heard from a doctor that a girl can pass a guy this and he can pass it back to her so she can get reaccuring BV is that true?

A guy can't really host the bacteria but can carry it. I'd say it very well could be possible.

What can a guy do to get treated then?We use protection every single time we have sex but we fool around with foreplay and has went into me without a condom so can he get it?

It seem's like whenever I get treated for my BV it always seems to come back within a couple of weeks anyway.I dont think it's from having sex with my boyfriend that I keep getting it.So I'm not sure if its him or if its just my body that makes the bv come back.

Bacteria are everywhere. Your boyfriend, you, everyone has bacteria on them at all times. We have bacteria in us. It is part of life.

BV is very common. It really is a matter of the bacteria in your vagina being out of balance. I don't think your boyfriend is the reason it keeps coming back. I agree he'll have some bacteria on him as every human does but he can't host BV. It's not just one bacteria it is that balance that is upset that causes BV. If everything in your vagina was in balance you wouldn't have BV.

BV needs the type of environment found in the vagina to grow. No vagina, no BV.

Unfortunately I don't know what to offer to treat this that doesn't involve antibiotics. Usually it clears in a week or so. What were you prescribed? Two common meds are clindamycin or metronidazole.

I've been treated with many antibiotics.I've been treated by both you have named and also with Flagyl and there was a vaginal cream that I also used but I cant remember what the name is.But the BV keeps coming back.It will clear up for a week or two then it will come back.That's why I was afraid maybe it was my boyfriend for a second but honestly I dont think it's him either.I'm just one of those people that worries.The doctor I went and say said that it could be due to a number of things.Maybe I'm just more sensative to certain things then most people who knows.

I told my boyfriend along time ago when this first started that BV is not contagious and that he should'nt worry about getting sick so thats why when I first heard that guys can transfer it back to the girls it got me concerned.I dont tell him every time I get BV but we are pretty safe about having protected sex.I maybe just a worry wart I just dont want to get him sick because I was given the wrong information.

I don't think its your boyfriend.

Personal question if I may. Do you douche? If you do, don't. It can alter that balance we've been talking about.

Nope I dont douche I know the risk's of doing that and have only did that once in my whole life.So I'm kinda at a loss about why it keeps reaccuring.