Hi, I have decided to start eating macrobiotic food. This was my desire for a long time and now I have finally talked to a macrobiotic nutritionist about this. He has explained to me about the benefits of macrobiotic diet and some of the food I will introduce to my meals. He said that brown rice is one of these foods. He said that this meal contains gaba. What is gaba and does brown rice contain gaba?

Hi, brown rice is indeed much richer in nutrition elements than white. This is because the white rice does not contain the bran. These deferential elements are found in the bran. And even though the white rice is enriched with some of those compounds, still there are a few that cannot be added. Your nutritionist told you the truth that brown rice contains GABA. However, there is a special preparation technique that has to be performed for the GABA to be activated. This process is called germination. It implies the brown rice to be soaked in warm water for twenty hours before it is cooked. This way the enzymes that contribute to the release of GABA in brown rice are activated. This way the concentration of GABA and some other amino acids found in brown rice is increased.