I'm 17. My parents divorced 2 years ago, my dad hit my mom and the police was called, after that my uncle packed us up and we all left, were in a shelter for a while, transitional housing, new school, the whole thing. That is just the background, what psychologists would say is the reason for all my problems now. 

Fast forward to now, I can't concentrate on my education, I feel tired and spaced out all the time, nobody has time to care & even notice, I started smoking weed just to feel better, had a breakup a while back, can't go to sleep, lay awake for hours just feeling worthless and hopeless, I don't know what to do anymore. I've never said this to anyone, tried to be strong but don't know how much more I can take and I'm going crazy. Just, don't feel like myself any more nothing is good. Is it depression or something else??

Celebrity

Hey,

Symptoms of depression include:

• Difficulty concentrating 
  • Not enjoying the things you once loved
  • Constant fatigue
  • Feeling guilt, hopelessness, sadness, but also anger and irritability
  • Suicidal feelings
  • Physical symptoms like headache, body aches, appetite loss, digestive problems

Some of the symptoms you listed definitely match depression. Whatever it is you are suffering from, it is also clear that you have had a very rough objective time in life recently, which can cause a situational depression that is not diagnosable as depression. In any case, if you are in full time education, can you talk to a school counselor? Or your family doctor? You do need help. 

Whatever you decide, we are here to listen. 

Rosie

Depression can be caused by things like a constant very high stress situation or a loss, both of which you seem to have. It can also be cause by brain chemistry. The treatment will vary depending on the cause. It can make you feel like you are going crazy, yes, but that does not mean you are actually crazy. Depression is a very common issue.

You are calling out for help. People on the internet can listen to you but what you need is a trained professional. Is there any way for you to get counseling?

Rosie summed the typical symptoms of depression up very well. They definitely match some of what you describe. Some of them are also normal teen feelings combined with just being in a difficult situation, and to be honest, and it seems to me you know this as well or you would not have mentioned it, smoking pot is not helping you. Cannabis can induce feelings of fatigue and insomnia as well. 

"Going crazy" is a pretty general descriptor. It certainly doesn't appear on any diagnostic criterium list! What's clear is that you are having a rough time and it does sound you would benefit from talking to a counselor. 

You are dealing with so much more than your typical academic and peer pressure issues! If you are depressed, it's no wonder. Sometimes this world makes you feel as if those feelings should be overcome just with simple willpower, but depression does not work that way, nor is it caused by something you did or didn't do... You seem like a strong person also for reaching out and asking for help. What you need is someone who will be able to provide you with the treatment you need, maybe a combination of medication and therapy, maybe just therapy. It can get better.

I am wondering if you have looked into herbal remedies and relaxation techniques?

They may not be the most popular among young people like yourself, but should be considered IMO. Bach flower remedies are used by many people, there are different formulations for different needs, including one to calm you down. This is what I would try before anything else.

Therapists do not always have all the answers either.

Yes, depression CAN make you feel like you are going crazy.

One of the things is that you might not sleep well, that you don't feel like eating, you don't have any energy at all, you have recurring thoughts of suicide, you feel somber, and you don't want to do anything. You don't experience any joy in life at all. I know this because I have experienced it myself. With medication quite a bit of therapy, I can say I am on the road to recovery now. So I would advise you to go and see your doctor.

My experience...

It's not the same wording as the tests they use. You just feel like something isn't right. That you're not right. The whole world slows down and nothing about it is interesting any more. Even deciding something like should I go to the store or just stay in and stay hungry is hard. Other people really annoy you. Everything that's bad about you keeps haunting you, from not finishing college to the way your place is a mess because for some reason time just went away and it didn't get done. Nothing touches you in a good way any more, just in a bad way.

Going crazy you could call it, yes.

You know, you can have depression AND something else, like post traumatic stress, all going on at the same time. And going crazy... that's a pretty subjective thing, isn't it? To one person it might mean they're so overwhelmed with everything they feel they can't cope anymore and for another it might mean they're seeing and hearing things that ain't there, though when that happens they often don't recognise it's not real either. Whatever it is you're dealing with mate, you just can't go on like this... I'd advise seeing your GP and telling him or her what you said to us. 

Well, I don't think you have to have clinical depression to feel like you are going crazy, although you can also feel like you are going crazy if you do have that.

Associated with depression, you have symptoms like not being able to concentrate, indecisiveness, fatigue, insomnia, doom thinking, anger, mood swings, and yes, they're all enough to make you feel like you're going crazy.

But a life circumstance you feel you have no control over can do the same all by itself!!! Of course, if you are worried enough to ask whether you have depression in a place like this, there's no harm in seeing a counselor.