My doctor prescribed duromine 30mg, does it burn fat as well or is it just an appetite surpressant.

Hi elf,

the main purpose of Duromine is to be an appetite suppressant, as far as fat burning is concerned it has little if any effect. It works by basically starving you until you start burning fat, the most efficient way to use it and to get fat burning part of the weight loss program start immediately is to start exercising at the same time you start Duromine. That way you'll body will be already somewhat adjusted to the sudden change in appetite and besides that, when the excess fat comes off, even the simplest exercise program you do few days per week could help you to make sure you look good after you lose weight because your muscles will be in shape, as well.

Wish you all the best,

Nicole

Hi, Nikols Thank you for your response I've been on duromine for a month and only had sleeplessness and dry mouth as side effects, I've gone back to doc to get 2nd month supply as the 1st month I had no change in my weight whatsoever. Will try it for this month but if there's no change I'll stop using it as I see long term use can be very harmful. What I don't understand is why so many people say they lost weight in the first week.

I definitely agree with you that the risk of prolonged use, especially if you are not losing any weight even on 30mg dose, is a good reason to start looking for other options. Duromine is addictive - that's why it's supposed to be used for 3 months max.

As far as weight loss in the first week is concerned, if Duromine completely suppresses someone's appetite, I can see how they'll lose weight - after i had to completely fast for 3 days, eating absolutely nothing (but because of the surgery, not Duromine), I lost about 2kg in a week. But from what I've read, even on Duromine, weekly weight loss is around 1 kg at  best. One thing though, your weight loss rate depends on how fast is your metabolism. There are some conditions, most commonly thyroid related, that slow down your metabolism so no matter what you do the weight stays until thyroid hormones get in order. Did your doc have any reaction to the obvious fact that Duromine did not work at all?

I'm in my third day and lost 1kg already. Haven't starved still hungry. I am 113kg and thyroid is fine. I'm on 30mg duromine as well as Zoloft 50mg ginkgo biloba and guarana 2000ng and never felt better in my life! I need to lose weight but I'm on this to stay awake as I have chronic fatigue so win win for me. About burning fat, I've been trying to work this out but look by telling your body it's full it's in turn telling your body to burn reserves!! How the body works or we would have the energy. So I think the answer is yes but if a dr said that people would take it'd or the wrong reasons and continue eating

Not true. Duromine is not only an appetite suppressant, it is a thermogenesis, which means it speeds up your metabolism and promotes fats cells to burn quicker.

Only worked for me when I excercise

New Member
Well at least it worked for you. Most experts on weightloss including medical ones strongly recommend exercise and diet as the most effective way to lose weight. Good luck to you in getting in shape.