Hello guys. My cat is suffering from hyperthyroidism so I need some help. This is a very common disease in cats. I have read somewhere that 1 in 5 cats suffers from this glandular health condition. Cats with this disorder have thyroid gland which is too active. This is the simplest possible explanation of course. Older cats have more risk to get this disease and that the case with my cat.

One of my colleagues told me that I need to pay attention to protein intake of my cat because cats with hyperthyroidism are very sensitive to it. Do you know what is the optimal intake of protein for cats with the disease?

HI there.

I am very sorry about your cat. Unfortunately, I am also familiar with this disease since my cat also got it a year ago. He also got it when he became older as your cat. I don’t know for your cat but my Bunny has problems with weight loss, increased urination, hyperactivity and sleep disorders.

Your colleague told you that cats with this disease are sensitive to protein? That is so wrong. It is exactly the opposite.  Cats with hyperactivity need more proteins than normal cats. You should give your cat around 7 g of protein every day.

So look on the label of canned foods and buy those with higher protein percentages.

Hey. I am very sorry to hear this. I didn’t have this problem, but I am informed well, since I was dating with one boy and he is a vet and he told me that this is something that can happen with my cat as well. You should remember that protein is primary macronutrient for maintained of muscle mass.  

I couldn’t agree more that hyperactive cats needs a lot of proteins than other cats. So, I really think that daily protein value of 5.3 g per day is totally ok for your cat in this case. But, of course, you should check your vets opinion. 

Hello. My cat had exactly the same problem with it. And, your friend is wrong. If you cat is active, you will need to give more protein to her. I think that 6 or 6,5 g of proteins are optimal for your cat. Of course, there are a lot of different factors. First, you need to find a food for your cat with higher protein content that are really easy to digest. I think that those are meat proteins, but you should know that every cat is different. I agree that visiting vet is something that you need to do. And, I am sure that your cat is going to be fine. 

Horrible, but horrible situation. At least, for me. My cat had hyperthyroidism and I really didn’t know what to do with her anymore. She was too active, I was not able to sleep anymore, she was jumping on me all the time…I really was so tired. So, the only thing what I could do is to take her to the vet. So, I did it. I was talking to him and he told me that optimal protein intake for cat with hyperthyroidism is around 4 to 5,5 g. So, I listened to his advice. She is much better now. I will see what is going to happen in the near future.

Hey. My neighbor has the same problem like you do. I am so glad that I run out on this topic. Her cat is literally crazy :) One day, she jumped on me while I was at the garden. I was so scared, I just can’t describe you. She told me that her cat is too active, and that she needs to be cured. One of our neighbors told her that she needs to give her less proteins, because she is active because of that protein intake. But now, I see that this is not so true, right?

I really want to help her. 

Hello all. Sadly I am familiar with this health problem because my cat had it. She is not alive anymore ( don’t freak out, it wasn’t the hyperthyroidism what killed her). She later got hit by a car and that is probably one of the saddest moments of my life, when my wet told me she won’t make it. She was in a coma for a few hours and then we had to euthanize her.
Anyway, while I was trying to treat her health issue, I’ve been told the ideal protein intake would be about 7 grams daily. Or at least 6. The vet told me that.

Uh, this is something new for me. I don’t even know that cats can be prone to hyperthyroidism. I cannot believe how ignorant I was. You made me concerned, so I checked with my vet what risks factors are, and asked him about your question as well.

He told me that you need to provide your cat at least 7-10 g of high-quality protein per kg of cat’s body weight. You can see by yourself that cats with hyperthyroidism need to be fed a high-protein diet.

I really hope your car will be better. Meanwhile, I’ll try to learn as much as I can about hyperthyroidism in cats. Cya.