Does anyone know of any restrictions the U.S. puts on 16 year olds in getting their driver's license if they have type 1 diabetes? I didn't know if they would be worried about us passing out or something behind the wheel.

Hi Guest,

It depends upon where in the US you are referring.  Each state is different.

Most states ask that you "self-disclose" any health condition that could cause a problem with safe operation of a motor vehicle.  In addition, most states also have ways to revoke your license if you are found operating unsafely due to a medical condition.

Check with your department of transporatation.

Most states ask that you self-disclose as medic dan pointed out. On some application forms for driver's licenses, there is a question about whether or not you have epilepsy or other seizure disorders, not Type 1 diabetes. Checking with your individual state's department of motor vehicles will answer your question, but my guess is that any restrictions that were placed on people with type 1 diabetes have long since gone the way of the dinosaur as diabetes is not thought of as a disease suffered by only a few people. We understand much more about it that we did, even 30 years ago, when restrictions on diabetics could prevent them from obtaining a license.

You're supposed to tell them. I did because I didn't want anything to happen to me and then find out that I caused an accident and my insurance company not want to pay. It would be worse if I hurt someone else. So I told them and just had to get a doctor's exam and then an eye exam and I got a license. It's not a big deal and you'll never be worried about being found out.