Hello! My sister started to see a chiropractor for her neck pain and she is feeling much better. I have never visited a chiropractor since I didn’t need it. But yesterday I hurt my leg on a football game. I feel pain and I think my leg is swelled a little. My sister wants to take me to the chiropractor and says he will use special electrical currents as a part of his treatment. I think chiropractic is done manually. Are electrical current parts of chiropractic care?

Hello! There are many chiropractors who perform only traditional (manual) treatment but there are also many of them who also combine modern techniques. Neuromuscular stimulation is a special form of electrical current. It is usually used for muscle injuries, to block pain. In order to reduce swelling and pain a low level electrical current is induced into the tissue. It is a form of pain relief; it decreases swelling and helps to speed the healing process.