I'm a little confused about the difference of these two as of the moment. I thought I understood them until I started looking them up, so I was hoping someone could help clarify for me! :-D

Women always talk about getting "the rock"--I assume that is the ever-so-pricey engagement with the lovely diamond. For the wedding ring, is it less flashy than the engagement ring then? If so, how so? Is it just a band/ring of metal? Or does it look similar to the engagement ring? After being married, would anyone still wear her engagement ring or is that a no-no? Can the engagement ring and the wedding ring be the same? If a woman doesn't/can't wear her engagement ring after marriage, what does she do with that expensive piece of jewelry--is it just a keepsake now?

Thank you in advance for answering all of these questions. I'm really confused so I would be really happy if someone cleared this up for me. :-)

An engagment ring is in fact, "the rock" and a wedding band is just a band of metal that is the same gold and carrot of the engagment ring. The engagment ring is definatly to be worn after marrige. In some cases though, if you have lots of money, the man will buy another dimond ring for the wedding ring and then it is option to wear the engagment ring. If that happens you most certainly keep the ring as a keepsake. Hope this cleared things up for you!

So when you get married in the ceremony and all, when the ring is placed on the bride's finger, will it be that same engagement ring? Or is it a wedding band? And once you're married, what's to differentiate between a wedding ring and engagement ring? Is it just the hand that it's placed upon? Thanks so much for explaining this to me. :-)

An engagement ring is just that, engagement. This says that your bf has asked you to marry him and has put this ring on your finger, now he is your fiance. This ring does not have to be "the rock" as it could be anything from an emerald to a birthstone to the "big one" depending on how his finances are. This ring is worn on the left hand, ring finger, you are now engadged to me married.

Now comes the wedding band. This could be anything from a plain little band of gold to a hugh thick diamond studded ring. On your wedding day, the band is placed on the same finger as the diamond or engadgement ring with the afore mentioned being slid on after the band. Now your married!!

You don't have to wear the engadgement ring but many new brides will wear it for a while, depending on what they do with their hands.
Tho many women will wear the two rings forever. I wear (wore) mine together for the last 10 years until recently.
In fact many couples don't wear their wedding band or engadgement ring at all, it's just a symbol to many.

The day i got married i placed my engadement ring on my right hand and when he slid the band on i immediatly handed him the other ring which he placed on after the band and kissed the rings. Ya, kind of sappy i know, but it was quite romantic.

So when you see a ring on a lady's finger, how do you know if it's her engagement ring or her wedding ring? Also, is it okay to just have the engagement ring and use that as the wedding ring as well? This is the thing that is baffling me: Let's say a woman gets an engagement ring from Tiffany's. It cost about... I dunno, around 8k to 10k for her one carat platinum solitaire. Would she just wear that during the duration of her engagement, get married, then never wear it again? What happens to it? Would it feel kinda... clunky (I dunno if that's the right word. Probably not) if you wear the engagement ring AND the wedding band? Sorry for so many questions, haha

Usually a wedding ring is a band of sorts, but many young people these days design their own rings. If you see a man/women with a ring on her left hand ring finger, that probably means that she is attached to someone. The left had is where a promise ring would go, an engadgement ring, a wedding band, or maybe even a different stone like a ruby or an emerald that her bf may have given her/him. When a women becomes engadged and a ring is placed on her left hand, this is shows the world that she is going to be married. She will wear this ring up to her wedding day, if she wants, then she could continue to wear it after the band is placed along with it. There is no rule that says a bride must wear her diamond or engadgement ring with her band, it's a personnal choice of hers.

As far as feeling clunky, i guess that depends on the size of the both rings together. The band may be very thick to the point where the diamond doesn't work well with it. But before the band is actually picked out, the bride will try the two rings on together to see how they look and fit. If she chooses not to wear her diamond, she will probably leave it in her jewelry box and wear it when she gets dressed up or goes out to a fancy place. If the diamond is set to high, she may find that it gets cought on stuff, so she opts not to wear it. I have worn all 3 of my rings on my left hand ring finger for 10 years with no problems, tho i would get them stuck on stuff occasionally.

Eventually, my diamond will be handed down to my oldest daughter.

The point is I see a ring on a woman's left hand, I'm not going to bother with hitting on her. It doesn't matter if it's her engagement or her marriage--it means she's taken! :)