I gave birth to a healthy baby girl 8 weeks ago. I am currently 11 stones and I need to lose 1.5 stones to return to my pre-pregnancy weight. Unfortunately, I have been unable to wear my wedding ring since before giving birth as my fingers were swollen. I suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome during the pregnancy and assumed that my swollen fingers would disappear after the birth. As they have not, I am assuming that it is water retention. Could you please tell me the best way to ensure that my fingers return to normal. :( [/list]

WOULD SOMEONE ANSWER MY Q - REALLY ANXIOUS!! Thanks

I would love for someone to answer your question, too. I am more than a year post-pregnancy and the swelling in my fingers has never gone away. I am unable to wear my engagement ring, and can only wear my wedding band because it was always a size too big anyway. My doctors have no answers, either, with all my bloodwork always normal. My finger joints are consistently swollen and the last portions of my fingers feel sore and a little stiff--a swollen sensation--when laying down and sleeping during the night. If anyone has any suggestions, we would be really appreciative!!! Do your doctors think it is a continution of carpal tunnel????

I am glad to hear that I'm not alone - I had to remove my wedding band and engagement ring when I was about 8 months pregnant and I assumed that my swelling would go down after giving birth - but my baby girl was born 5 weeks ago (healthy and beautiful - praise God) but my fingers are still very swollen - the only time I get a little relief is first thing in the morning. As the day goes on - my fingers just get more swollen. I have tried wearing my rings again but keep getting a rash and pain as my fingers swell and having to practically rip my knuckle off to get the rings back off - I am at a loss. Wondering if I should have my rings resized or just wait it out a few more weeks...

I too had my baby 4 weeks ago and also suffered carpal tunnel when i was pregnant. I had to take my engagement ring off when i was about 6 months pregnant and still cannot get it back on. I am beginning to panic now as i am getting married in 9 weeks!!!

I have finally been able to wear my ring again. I believe it can be accredited to medication for hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed this past summer and within one week of the medication, I lost three pounds and began wearing my ring again. I was in the very early stages, so most doctors probably would not have suspected anything from the normal bloodwork; but my fertility specialist wanted to re-run the thyroid because it was slightly higher than they would like it to be when trying to conceive again and then the numbers were elevated and I was referred to the endocrinologist. I still have symptoms when I lay down to sleep/get up in the morning; but I felt much better (like I did before pregnancy again!) and I've happily been wearing my rings 24 hours a day. Just thought I'd let you all know in case it helps someone. I was never diagnosed with carpal tunnel, so perhaps your situations are different. Good luck!

Interesting topic, I have had swollen fingers ever since I was 8 months pregnant with my first child (3 yrs ago). I just had my second one and my fingers are still swollen. I am just going to get it resized. My health seems to be ok. Since everything was checked before and after rpegnancy. I don't have a clue as to why we get swollen fingers. I hope to find out some day.

I just broke down and got my rings re-sized. My fingers never returned to normal.

ugh, me too. 5 weeks since having her now and i still can't get my engagement ring past my knuckle. it's bizarre.

I am 37 weeks and getting married in July ............ my fingers are sore and hard to bend. Please tell me there is a quick fix to helping my fingers go back to normal

I think the relaxin can make you joints bigger which means you'll probably need to get your rings resized.

I had my daughter 14 months ago and during pregnancy i suffered from a lot of swelling to hands and feet, after having my baby my feet and ankles returned to normal pretty much straight away but my hands were still as swollen as they were during pregnancy :-( 14 months later and my hands are so swollen all the time that they are itchy and weeping. My doctor doesn't seem to understand and i feel as though the problem is getting worse rather than better. I do no understand why this is happening :-( my skin is constant broken and weepy as my hands swell so much, i have tried everything but nothing seems to help :-( starting to think this might never go away though i hope someday it does !!

I had a son who's 5, no swelling. I've a daughter who's now 15 months and I still cant get either of my rings on since about 5 months pregnant. Interestingly, my Mum has hyperthyroidism. I've never been tested.

I only have 13lbs left to lose (7 weeks post delivery) but I swear I feel bloated in my face and I know my hands are still swollen. I forced my rings on yesterday, but I know it will be impossible to get them back off. So far, they aren't cutting of circulation. I was treated for hypothyroidism during pregnancy, but was told my last screening was normal, at 6 weeks post delivery. So I stopped taking the meds. I am scheduled to go back at 14 weeks post delivery so I am going to have the level checked again. I think the hypothyroidism is coming back. I am ridiculously tired, ridiculously hungry and swollen. I developed hypothyroidism after a miscarriage and I don't think it every went away.

Hi! How long did it take to go away? I am 6 mos pp and my hands and feet are swollen still.

Thank you so much for the update! I am 11 month post partem and so bad off I'm having carpal tunnel surgery next week. I will follow up with an endocrinologist now!