I injured my shoulder while body surfing and then aggravated the injury while canoeing a few weeks later. This resulted in two X-rays which revealed nothing. An MRI was ordered which revealed tendinitis of the rotator cuff and impingement. The MRI reviewer also noted a 6x8mm (.6 x .8 cm) mass that appears to be a lymph node. The Ortho referred me to a General Surgeon for further investigation with the note indicating Enlarged left clavicular lymph node.

My question is what is considered "normal" size of a left clavicular lymph node in a 44 year old male.

Let me mention that I am also diabetic type 2 taking Lisinopril for HBP, Crestor, and Fortamet.

Since the shoulder injury I have been taking 1200 mg/day Ibuprofen (600 morning/600 night) and an over the counter sleep aid. I have no symptoms of illnes or pain other than the shoulder impingement.

Should I be concerned or this more of a CYA move from the physician. Don't get me wrong, I have read about the potential seriousness of the issue and will still follow-up with whoever I have to until a conclusion, bad or good, is made.

Hello, sorry to hear you have such problems. Yeah , those lymph nodes can usually be the sign of something more serious but i must tell you that i too have an enlarged left and right supraclavicular nodes. I did like 3 ultra sound test and they all confirmed that there is no malignity inside but that they are rather reactive. Doctor explained to me that my lymph nodes got swollen because i had some infection sometime in my life. And that the swollen nodes are just a sign that i had a big infection and they should not present any serious issues for me. So yeah, it does not have to be serious just because you have a swollen lymph node. Hope this helps

userK,

Thanks for relating your story. The internet is more full of scarier tales. It is good to know that someone has had a benign experience. I don't see the GS until after Labor Day so i will try to keep my mind distracted until.

I had an upper left arm pain and I could not lift my hand above the shoulder. Then I had a trip and fell on the left side and I continued to have pain. My blood test showed a high white cell count. My physician ordered an x-ray. The X-ray was reviewed by an orthopedist. He indicated that it could be a frozen shoulder and there was a rotator cuff tear. He felt there were a few enlarged lymph nodes on the left side.My physician suggested an MRI on both sides followed by sonogram on both sides. The results indicated that lymph nodes were enlarged. The physician has suggested I consult with a general surgeon and have one lymph node removed for biopsy.
I have had pain in my upper left arm for the last four months. I have no other symptoms whatsoever.
I am hesitant to have a surgery under a general anesthesia. I would like a reply from someone with a similar experience.

I am having the swollen clavicular lymph node issue that you wrote about. I've been on a strong antibiotic and it did not take the swelling down. I go back to the dr's this week and she will go over the bloodwork and probably send me for an ultrasound. I am quite scared after reading all the cancer causes on the internet. How are you doin now and did your nodes ever go down?

Just curious how this turned out for you? Same exact thing (except right side) going on with a surgical biopsy scheduled for next week.