Hello! I have 9 year old son. I don’t know if this is the right place to inquire but I’ll try. I noticed few days ago a lymph node behind my son’s knee. It was pretty stiff when I touched. Should I do something about it?

Even minor trauma to the foot is filtered by nodes behind the knee or groin. Many people have a sunny attitude toward swollen glands. They don’t believe that could be really serious, others believe these lumps to be harbingers of doom. The truth is somewhere in between, but most of these situations turn out to be fine. If lymph nodes remain truly enlarged for more than 2 weeks, then you should take him on evaluation.

Hallo Crockford,
The lymph node behind your sons knee is called popliteal lymph node. Now if your son is physically active, as I presume he is at his age, there is a good chance that he had some injury with his knee. The trauma might have come even from running if he has bad knees. Lymph nodes tend to swell if they are exposed to some trauma or if there is an infection in the body. In this case somewhere around the knee. Have you noticed any cuts on skin or scratches maybe? In both cases, lymph node should get back to normal in few days. If not it might be something else, and your son may need to drain the lymph node.