I know that most physicians sincerely believe that episiotomy shortens the pushing phase. They said it is good because it reduces the chance the baby will suffer from oxygen deprivation. I have heard, also, this could protect the fetal skull and brain from damage. However, I have heard many women complain about this, I would like to hear opinion of women who experienced this. I want to realize why is episiotomy done and how this process goes.

My sister tore because of episiotomy that is first thing I thought when I was supposed to have it also. I personally did not mind having an episiotomy, if it made the doctor feel better. I figured that a nice smooth cut was not going to be any worse than whatever else might happen during process of giving birth. I was really thinking episiotomy would make my doctor happy, I think it must be good. However, when everything passed, it was very uncomfortable for a long time after. It was really messed up those special newborn days. Later I found out that birth without episiotomy will result in prolapsed uterus, has also never been proven. I also have a friend who hated having an episiotomy. She did not think she needed it. It was three weeks before she could get around comfortably afterward. She was miserable with it for all that time so I cannot tell you if you should do it or not.