I had an surgical abortion and immediately started birth control pills the day afterward. I waited exactly 2 weeks and had unprotected sex with my boyfriend. He did ejaculate inside me. That same day I started bleeding and i have been now for 3 days with cramping. Today it is starting to stop. I believe it is my period. We now plan on using condoms and the birth control pills once we start having sex again after realizing what a mistake we had made, however I am very worried that this one time incident could have caused me to be pregnant again. I want to take a pregnancy test but I understand that the test can show up positive for a few weeks after the abortion. Any thoughts or advise?

ok, so i did some more research and have been thinking about this all day. I have read that after 7 days birth control is working and you are protected. so i started to feel relieved that my chances of being pregnant again are very slim. then I started to think that ive heard that taking antibiotics affects birth control and i WAS taking antibiotics for a week after the abortion. I also didnt mention that i am feeling very tired and sick to my stomach the past 2 days. (i had the abortion exactly 17 days ago.) maybe with this added information someone can more accurately advise me. please help.

Hi NA29- I realize you posted this over a year ago but I'm in a similar situation and just wondering what ending up happening. Were you pregnant again? Thanks for the info.

whatever happened to you guys? im having the same scenario now and not sure what will happen

Dear, do be careful around birth control pills because those have been classified as group 1 carcinogens (cancer causing substances) by the WHO (World Health Organization.) Also, if you are pregnant, don't abort because many women have come to regret it, contrary to popular belief, many women have come to regret it and this has led to problems in their lives like depression. Instead, go see your local crisis pregnancy center for advice on what to do with the child, they have councelors there who can talk to you about your options and help you find one that works for you. They also provide free resources to mothers in need, like diapers and bibs. Also, here's a number to call if you need a little extra advice 1-800-712-4357