I had a tonsillectomy on 12/20/12 due to chronic infection. I am a 37 year old female and was 36 at time of surgery. I have not been able to taste since that time and it's already late June 2013. My doctor NEVER told me that this was a possible side effect of the surgery so I had to find this out by doing some internet research. I can't taste 95% of things and what I can taste is awful. The only drink I can tolerate is water and that tastes like nail polish remover (at least what I assume it tastes like by the smell). I've tried to drink a soda and it was like drinking a beer...one of the worst beers without the relaxing effect:( I eat food because I have to eat. You would think now would be a great time to be on a diet because everything tastes the same anyway but I eat foods that I love in the desperate hope that I will be able to taste it. It sounds so silly but my quality of life really has diminished. The fact that people must get psych evals before a gastric bypass is evidence that food affects your psyche.

I went to see my throat dr day before yesterday about the problem since it has been 6 months since my surgery and I left his office in tears. I have been on Celexa and Wellbutrin for almost 4 years and have never had an issue with my taste. He said that my taste issues were due to my meds even though I didn't have an issue until I had the surgery. When I told him I had never had these issues before this he said the surgery probably triggered it but the meds were making it continue. Huh?!?!?!?!?!?! He looked in my mouth for about 10 seconds and decided that's the cause. His suggestion was to get off my meds to which I asked if he was ok with my going crazy. I'm just tired, frustrated, and so sad about all of this.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this before? Can surgery "trigger" something in a medication I've been taking for years before the surgery? I'm just desperate for a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hello, did your problems ever get better? I’m almost 5 months post op and still having complications. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you