Anyone out there crosstrain? If so, what type? How has this helped your running? Thanks!

Grunt

biking. mostly, my body needs a break from running. i've tried a 6 day a week schedule, and even that is too much. if i cross train, other muscles are getting worked out and i'm overall stronger. i bike and do power yoga. i'd like to learn to swim because i do like biking and sometimes think of doing a tri. i know jrjo does a lot of crosstraining on the rower and give you advise about that. good luck to you.

:wavey:

Triathlons and martial arts :)

Running was the last thing I added to do triathlons so I don't know if it help or not its just always been that way.

Like Shel says, I'm a rowing junkie. It's been trial and error/injury to realize I'm not a 7-day a week or even 6-day a week runner. I really need a couple days of low-impact each week to keep an injury from creeping in. And what I've found works best for me are cross-training days on Mondays and Thursdays. I log 8000 meters on the indoor rower, 32-33 minutes. A couple things the rowing does. One is it really firms up my shins, believe it or not. I've got ripped shins for whatever that's worth. But it goes without saying then, shin splints just don't happen. And the second benefit is I find it gives my quads a nice workout. I'm not in a really hilly part of the world, so getting any kind of boost to being able to hit a hill hard when I do come across them is a big plus. Aerobic-wise, the rower burns calories on the same level as running, so I feel like I can substitute an 8km row for a 5-mile run and not lose any ground.

Aside from rowing, during the bikeable months of the year, I'm a bicycle commuter often. I keep up the running while commuting, but on days I feel like a low-impact day or week is in order, I can "take the long way home" and get a good ride in which can do wonders for old pounded runner legs.

I've tried the elliptical and stair stepper, but my personal pref has narrowed to the rower and bicycle. Which has actually served me very well this year. I've been able to ward off any major injuires

Biking! I got my first road bike at the end of August, and I love it. It's great to get out there and cover some serious mileage. Also you can go with a leisurely pace and just enjoy the scenery. I highly recommend it. I do a little bit of mountain biking, which is amazingly fun. I don't think I'd like to do it all the time, but when I do it's awesome. And my quads are much stronger from it.