After I had Pap smear such as always in this time of year, doctors found there are some abnormal changes in cervix. After my gynecologist confirmed that with colposcopy, it is decided leep should be done. I don’t know much about this so I would like to hear more about this procedure. Also, I used to exercise a lot before, so I wonder how long should I wait after leep. How long I should I rest without exercising after leep?

Leep is an abbreviation for loop electrosurgical excision procedure, and way to treat abnormal cell growth on the surface tissue of the cervix. Usually, leep is prescribed after abnormal changes are confirmed y Pap test and colposcopy. This procedure will help your physician to remove the abnormal tissue and if that is necessary, test it by biopsy for cancer. Any abnormal cell growth on the surface of the cervix is called cervical dysplasia. Though cervical is not a cancer, over time it can became worst and lead to cancer. That’s why leep might be used to treat early stages of cervical cancer. This procedure takes 10 to 20 minutes to perform. Usually it is very safe method, with rare reported cases with complications, such as infection. Since this is very simple procedure, it doesn’t take a long time to recovering. You should avoid excessive activity for 48 hours after this, and remain from exercising for at least one week. After one or two weeks you may begin exercising, but stop it if bleeding other then normal menstruation occurs, and call your physician.