One week ago I went to get my Pap-test result and though I didn’t expect of being diagnosed with anything- this was to be just a regular pap-control- it turned out that I have mild dysplasia. My doc advised me to have leep procedure and the other one told me that in case of mild dysplasia there’s no reason for any treatment. So I’m confused now what to decide, leep or not. Please help someone!

Well I was once confused just like you’re right now for I also had mild dysplasia and was advised to have a leep but in the same time was told to avoid it. And I decided to give it a chance and went to that leep and never regret it. It’s now almost 8 years since that happened and normally I regulary do my pap-test and guess what? There’re no traces of abnormal cells anymore. Gone, disappeared and I’m pretty sure I owe it to the leep. As I was explained leep procedure treats abnormal cells and removes abnormal tissue in which manner makes your dysplasia disappear. Of course it doesn’t mean that it’s everything so simple but it turned out not to be so complicated for me. And normally never forget that once you had cervical dysplasia meaning that you have to control it regularly after the leep too. So it’s obvious if your question is leep or not I sincerely recommend the leep. Have luck!

MOST doctors will reccomend a colposcopy before a LEEP, to see what kind of dysplasia it is.

LEEP is a good idea though, cervical cancer is very treatable early on, and causes fewer complications when you treat it early.

I just went through the same thing when my pap came back abnormal. My doctor did a coloscopy and was able to see the abnormal cells. So, he did an in-office biopsy and sent the tissue he got from my cervix and the lab results came back as dysplasia (HPV) positive - CIN 1. Then he recommended to have a LEEP/CONE procedure done in the hospital. It only took about 30 minutes and they gave me a general anesthesia. I took an Ibuprfen for very light pain. It really wasn't bad at all.
When I went to see him on a follow-up, the results came back as CIN II & III ( Moderated to Severe). Needless to say I was terrified even more so now. The Leep was to destroy all the abnormal cells and the CONE procedure was to get a sample of more tissue to do further testing. (During the CONE Procedure that also put in an iodine to highlight any other abnormal cells so they can remove them as well as test them.)
He told me that he saw 2 very bright ones in my cervix and had to dig deeper into my cervix to get better samples for testing.
About a 2 weeks later, i went back for my follow-up. This is when he told me that I had CIN II & III (HPV Dysplasia).
So, in answer to your question concerning MILD Dysplasia, I highly recommend getting the LEEP done. I would also advise you to ask about the CONE as well so you don't have to go twice and both get done at the same time. It'll save you a lot of headaches!
It's now, March 2, 08 and I'm waiting on the date he wants to do a full hysterectomy on me.
One other thing! Remember that you Hired that doctor...not the other way around. And if you have questions and/or concerns and they are trying to rush things in the office visit to make you leave by telling you they don't have time and are in a hurry, DON"T let them leave. DEMAND that they say until they have answered all of your questions and concerns. I did that with my doc and shocked him because I (the patient) was in charge! But he did come back in and closed the door and sat down with me an answered all my questions that I still had as well as my concerns about the procedure...etc... until you feel completely satisfied with your answered questions and concerns. That is your body and NOONE knows it better than YOU! If the doc does end up leaving even after you told him you still have questions, then find you another doctor who will take the time to listen and want to know if you have any questions and/or concerns.
Don't EVER be afraid to stand up to them and DEMAND that they stay until you are through and satisfied with all you questions!

Good luck to you all! And most of all, hang in there! This can be treated!

I am very frustrated with my situation and just need a place to vent to people who have also been going through this. A year ago I had an abnormal PAP, went it for a colposcopy, then I had cryotherapy (which has not been mentioned here, it is a freezing procedure). I am not sure why they wasted my time with this since it is not usually very effective (found out through my own research after the fact); I guess because the dysplasia was mild. Then I had another abnormal PAP and so I had to have a LEEP. I went back for a followup to make sure everything was healing correctly and my doctor said the edges of what was removed from the LEEP were clear so most likely she got all of it. 4 months later, still an abnormal PAP and I have to go back for yet another, number 3, colposcopy. I am starting to lose track of all of the procedures because every 4 months I am in stir-ups again being told more bad news. I am only 24, 25 in September, getting married this August, and I DO NOT want to lose my chances of having children and healthy pregnancies. I wish there was something they could do for HPV, or at least more information about it. I am going to try some of the vitamins that have been suggested in other threads (vit A, vit E, folic acid), I have started Yoga and a work out routine, but I am a teacher and stress is not something that I can easily wipe off my plate. I didn't know if getting a second opinion would be worth anything, even if my PAP comes back clear, it could be abnormal again the next time which is beyond aggravating.

I strongly recommend that everybody should ask for at least a second opinion before having any procedure done!!!!!! Some doctors make you believe is not a big deal when in fact it is! a wild dysplasia do not require a LEEP!