I would like to start out by saying I have suffered from Hemorrhoids for most of the past ten years.

I will explain my story below and please try to convenience your doctor to proscribe this to you and try this before you decide to have, from what I have read in the forum, the painful procedure of a hemorrhoidectomy.

For me, it all started in May of 1998 after a really bad bowl movement. This left me with internal hemorrhoids that felt like I was walking around with a couple of grape lodged inside my butt. The only external sign of a problem was a small protuberance located about half and inch from the opening to my anus. The enlarged veins became painful each day after sitting for long periods of time, even if I got up to walk around several times a day at work.

When I first reported this problem to my GP at the time, he put me on Hydrocortisone Acetate suppositories first for two weeks, then a month, then two months. Each time I kept telling him this treatment was not helping. When he finally suggested I see a specialist, the specialist did not think my problem was hemorrhoids.

I did a little research and found a new treatment some doctors were trying. It was taking 2% Nitroglycerin cream and mixing it 1 part to 10 parts of 1% hydrocortisone cream, yielding a .2% Nitroglycerin formulate.

After reading about this treatment, I returned to my GP to get a Nitroglycerin prescription. However, my GP was uninterested in my research and wanted me to continue on Hydrocortisone Acetate.

At this point, I gave up on my GP and when directly to a surgeon. He examined me and suggested rubber band ligation. I had this done, but still had hemorrhoids and still felt like I had grapes inside my butt.

I went back to the surgeon, and he suggested that I try injection sclerotherapy. I had this procedure done, and it helped but did not eliminate my hemorrhoids. I had this treatment done 4 more times from 1998 to 2003. After the fifth treatment, finally, my hemorrhoids were gone.

But after riding a bike last month (August 2007) my hemorrhoids returns. I went to another GP and relayed my five-year ordeal to him. I explained how Hydrocortisone Acetate did not help me and again showed him my research and asked for a Nitroglycerin prescription, but I was again met with resistance and only walked away with hydrocortisone Acetate cream instead of suppositories.

Two weeks later, I went on vacation in Australia. Needless to say the 20-hour plane ride did not agree with my hemorrhoids. In Australia, I went to a Chemist (what they call a drug store in Australia) to find a treatment, and low and behold they had .2% Glyceryl Trinitrate available OTC. Both Nitroglycerin and Glyceryl Trinitrate are metabolized by your body to Nitric Oxide (NO). NO acts a both a muscle relaxer and blood vessel dilator. NO relaxes the smooth muscle tissue of blood vessels. Relaxing the muscles of the sphincter and dilates the veins (the hemorrhoids) restore normal blood flow. Adding hydrocortisone will shrink swelling of the veins, allowing them to recede into the now relaxed muscles of the anal canal.

I used the below listed treatment and after about two weeks my hemorrhoids were nearly completely gone, and after one additional week they were completely gone. Please keep in mind that it took nearly a week on the treatment before I started to feel that the hemorrhoids were noticeably smaller and only become larger and irritated after bowl movements. The post bowl movement swelling and irritation mostly went away after the second week on the treatment and completely by the end of the third

My Treatment:

Since the Glyceryl Trinitrate was already diluted to .2%, there was no need to mix it will hydrocortisone before applying it. Though for the treatment, the 1% hydrocortisone cream is still needed.

Since I had internal hemorrhoids, I used an applicator that came with the hydrocortisone Acetate cream. I applied a think coat of 1% hydrocortisone cream (that I purchased at the same drug store) to the applicator and also put a small amount on my anus for lubrication. I put two 3/4-inch beads of the Gylceryl Trinitrate on the applicator, inserted it, and using the applicator rubbed it into the hemorrhoid area for about a minute or so. I allowed the Gylceryl Trinitrate to absorb for about 5 to 10 minutes (you can actually feel it being absorbed by noticing a slight throbbing sensation in the back of your head. After 5-10 minutes I put a 1-inch bead of 1% hydrocortisone cream on the same applicator, inserted it, and also rubbed the hydrocortisone cream into the area of the hemorrhoids.

For the first week and a half, I did this treatment three times a day (every 8 hours). For the remaining week and a half, I did the treatment twice a day once when I got home from work and once before I went to bed.

I do not know why doctors are so reluctant to allow people to try this treatment. It is not painful, and there is no risk other than you may get a slight headache sometimes during the treatment. However, anybody with hemorrhoids would gladly trade a slight headache that be easily treated with Advil for hemorrhoids.

I hope everyone reading this will be able to convenience his/her doctor to allow him/her to try this treatment. If not I guess you could always fly to Australia and visit one of the Chemists!

Good Luck!

It is nice experience and nice talking, but the truth is that you can't talk about hemorrhoids treatment like this is the unique treatment that can help everyone. Because it can't. 

I had issues with it and in the end of story I needed to go on the surgical table. This surgery was really traumatic for me because that was the first time in my life that I had some surgery. It went OK, they prepared me but my recovery lasted a little bit longer than I expected. 

You can try some home treatments, you can try some medications as well, but I can guarantee that this is not for everyone and all those treatments might not help specific person. 

this is a common prescription for anal fissures. I often wonder why it isn't prescribed with hemmieectomy, since fissures are basically a cut in the butt and so are hemmiectomies.

Since when do Australians use the term "Drug Store"??? That's so American. They've always been Chemists in Australia, which makes me think you have never been to Australia and this is all one big con.

They explained that a drug store in America is called a Chemist in Australia. Reread what he wrote.

I have no idea what this person actually bought as there is no "gel/cream" I can see here that does what they say.

If you want to research this more, then I suggest you try here:

chemistwarehouse.com.au/home.asp

I have a cautionary tale about naively using hydrocortisone creams for hemorrhoid relief; the `snug' nature of the area acts to exclude fresh air - analogous to an untended bandage; in such an environment, corticosteroids cause the "masceration" (break-down) of the skin tissue around the treatment area. Think "diaper rash on steroids" (pun intended).

Using hydrocort cream even occasionally (in my case, usually in rotation with hemorrhoid cream and an antibiotic ointment) was enough to trigger the break-down of the skin behind the sphincter - to the point that it was oozing and even dripping blood!

Doctors may be guilty of `thou shalt not...' inadequate explanations (they should explicitly explain the hazard of using hydrocort cream in this area) - but I sincerely doubt that they are `withholding vital cure information' from their patients.

And it is interesting that the discussed treatment increases nitrous oxide in the bloodstream; this is the mechanism that alows Viagra to do what it does.

I just returned from a colorectal surgeon that specializes in this sort of thing. Sharp pain and long-term hemorrhoids are indications that you might have had a fissure that wasn't healing. I experienced the same thing. My doctor prescribed me Diltiazem cream. It is a blood-pressure medication that has been modified to work as a muscle relaxant (Note that it does not bring down your blood pressure when used in this context). It relaxes the inner sphincter muscle, allowing the fissure to heal without surgery. It does not relax the outer sphincter, and this is a good thing. It means that you still maintain control over your bowel movements, while applying the cream.

thanks for posting this! i bought some 1% hydrocortisone from walmart today.

but then i read what you wrote about the nitric oxide (NO2).

i remembered that NO2 is one of the primary targets of the weightlifting supplements i have been taking for several months now. and sure enough, i can verify that taking a single dose of my "N.O. Explode" was enough to relax my sphincter.

this brought immediate relief, and also allowed me to apply the hydrocortisone.

Thanks a Ton!

I have had a very slight hemorrhoid for many years which didn't bother me too much. Then last month I got a bad cold and with all the coughing, it nearly exploded. The pain and discomfort were unbearable and I knew I had to do something. I researched the internet and came across the post by KEVINM. Well, I live in Australia and asked the chemist for .2% Glyceryl Trinitrate and was given a product called Rectogesic Ointment. This is most certainly a miracle drug. I started using it last Wednesday the 7th and today, the 13th, all the symptoms are completely gone. No more pain, no more bleeding, no more 'protrusion'. I Googled Rectogesic and the only web sites listed were either in Australis or the UK. None in the USA. I wonder why.
Ed, Hervey Bay, Australia

Hi Ed i live in Brisbane and Rectogesic and Protocydel are both products that are good for hems. If yours get any worse let me know i can put you on a Bloody good surgeon in Brisbane who fixed me up.

I'd be very interested in finding the name of a good surgeon in Brisbane - I am so over being in constant pain :'( I'd also like to know whether there are different options offered (HAL, banding, suturing etc) or is there just one course of action?

Hi, Does Rectogesic work for external hemmies as well? Thanks Theresa

Ultroid Technologies Inc. "Quick, Easy, Painless & Proven Solution for Hemorrhoids"

Do not suffer any longer and avoid painfull surgeries and long recovery times...............

*Done in office in as little as 10 minutes
*No Bowel Prep or Anethesia
*Return back to Normal, Everyday Activities
*Covered by Medicare and most Private Payors
*Painless & Effective

Contact ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed to find a participating provider.

Thank you for sharing your hemorrhoid treatment experience, I have had my problem for the last 8 years and specially the past one year, I have been pretty much suffering. It is internal case. I have an appointment for surgical removal of my hemorrhoid in two weeks time. I would like to try those drugs you mentioned of before I go for surgery. But I am not sure if I can find them in Canada. Please help on what I can do or where to find it. And if you can reach me at my email address; that would be great.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Thanks again

Ultroid is not a drug, but instead it is an alternatinative treatment to surgeryl It does treat all grades of internal and mixed hemorrhoids, so it sounds like you would be a candate. But, unfortunetely there are no doctors currently in Canada doing the procedure. You would have to travel to somewhere in the states, like: Maine, New York New Jersey, Micigan, etc. But it wil be well worth your travel! It is done painlessly, in-office, no surgery, no anethesia and best of all you can return right back to your normal routine!:-)