I suffer from hemorrhoids, but my friend assured me that is important to determine are they external or internal prolapsed hemorrhoids? He says that treatment is different. What is the difference?

External hemorrhoids are usually visible as fleshy lumps around the anus and prolapsed hemorrhoids are internal hemorrhoids that protrude out the anus. They are often mistaken for external hemorrhoids. The common symptom for internal hemorrhoid is bright red blood covering the stool, on toilet paper, or in the toilet bowl. I was advised to change my eating habits because of the hemorrhoids. See your physician about this he will know what therapy is good for you.

The difference in the treatment for this 2 cases is the available choices of treatments. I believe that is what your friend is referring to, although there are many methods that work for both as well.

For instance, Rubber Band Ligation and stapled hemorrhoidopexy works only for internal hemorrhoids, while laser therapy is more suitable for external ones.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***