This post is an extension of the

Extreme stomach pain after eating certain things thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

From what I am reading there are different stomach/gallbladder conditions going on with us. What I have experienced relates to the symptoms of pain in the solar plexes area going through to the back like a sword or hot poker. It usually intensifies with swallowing, is hard to breath or speak and comes with noxious burping. If I can vomit and get rid of all the food in my stomach I can stop it otherwise it lasts for hours. The Dr ruled out gallbladder and gave me an acid blocker. That helped. But after looking into alternative medicines I now believe it is not acid but a bacteria or candida yeast that grows in the stomach and small intestines. I found that taking "Grapefruit Seed Extract", 8 drops of concentrate in 8 oz of water is a lifesaver. GSE is a natural anti-microbial which means it kills all kinds of bacteria, viruses and yeast. As for the pain, it is like putting water on a fire so I know it is working on something in there. It takes more than one glass to have continued relief. My protocol is to alternate with GSE, then a glass of plain water to "flush" out the stomach, then GSE again, then water, etc. for a couple of hours. The relief is incredible. I don't leave home without it. I have a bottle at work also. This problem is from our diets. We consume junk food, sugar, alcohol, over the counter drugs, birth control pills, etc. All these things kill off our good bacteria and cause an imbalance which allows bad bacteria and candida yeast to grow and take over. This will not show up on your scans and most Drs do not believe in candida or have a test for it. That's why they cant' find what is wrong. Get GSE at a health food store and take a good probiotic every day to put back the good bacteria and restore balance. Good luck. I hope this helps someone.

Ever since 2 weeks ago I've been getting these "attacks" after eating eggs.. I get this horrible sharp pain in my stomach that goes to my back, I feel nauseous, dizzy, and have a hard time breathing. The pain lasts for 2 hours and there is NOTHING I can do to stop it. I eventually fall asleep from crying in pain and wake up and the pain is almost gone but I still have a nauseous feeling. My doctor thought it was my gall bladder.. had an ultrasound and my gall bladder, liver, and pancreas were all fine. I'm on prilosec now just for Ha Ha's because it isn't working at all. Whats wrong with me???

Please, anyone with undiagnosed symptoms of stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea, etc., ask a doctor to be tested for carcinoid. It's a rare but slow-growing and treatable type of cancer that doctors often miss because they learned so little about it in med school. A relative of mine went years being diagnosed with irritable bowel, gallbladder (even having it removed)--you name it and she supposedly had it, but incorrectly. It was even implied by a few doctors that it was all in her head and she was given antidepressants. She went from weighing 130 lbs. to 85 lbs. at diagnosis, which was incidental finding in the liver on a CT scan (after previously having CT scan and nearly every other test known come back negative). By then, it had spread to the liver where it's harder to treat and control. People diagnosed early can live decades with treatment with a drug called Sandostatin, a monthly injection. The test for this is so very simple, a 24-hour urine collection called 5HIAA. Not one doctor my relative saw (and she saw many) thought to test for this. Her family doc said after the fact that if he'd only thought of carcinoid, he could've given the test. Yes, if only (and we thought that was a doctor's job).

I urge all to be proactive and continue to seek answers until you are certain. My relative passed away and really should not have, as carcinoid caught in time should not be a death sentence. It's what I like to say a Cadillac of cancers, as it can be controlled (look it up or find a carcinoid specialist for answers). It is only my hope to help others avoid suffering as she did. She went over 8 years with severe pain, vomiting, diarrhea, etc., basically not really living her life, before being diagnosed and this is a VERY COMMON story told by people with carcinoid. She wanted to eat but couldn't keep anything down and ultimately became fearful of eating. We tried to make connections with certain foods (and there seemed to be some that affected it more than others) but in the long run, it was just the tumors in the intestine would sometimes cause a blockage as the bowels twisted and turned, so there was no real "connection" to certain foods, just coincidence as the bowels moved about and the tumors caused symptoms. The symptoms mimic so very many other illnesses, food allergies, and the like that it is nearly impossible to nail down a diagnosis. I am merely presenting another possible piece of the puzzle to either eliminate or solve.

Keep going until you find that doctor who listens and helps and PLEASE ask about carcinoid. It's my feeling that this may not, in fact, be such a rare disease, as they claim, but one that is commonly mis- or undiagnosed instead. I imagine there could be many out there living with it yet undiagnosed because it's not recognized by many physicians, in constant suffering as my relative was and desperate for answers. I know my relative would be looking down with pride if just one person is helped by this information.

For those of you suffering immensely, that have tried everything and are still in chronic pain, I recommend marijuana. It reduces stresses of any kind and has been known to ease stomach troubles. There is a reason it is medically available in California and that some people swear by it.

Well... here's another update...

I haven't had stomach pain in over a year (literally) and just 2 days ago, I decided to eat a large steak & cheese sub because I haven't had one in a while and I just wanted to enjoy myself... anyways, to make a long story short, about a half hour - 45 minutes after eating it, my stomach started to develop a slight pain directly in the center which I knew was exactly like how it used to feel whenever it hurt... it slowly started to build up and then it went to a full blown 10/10 for the pain scale for about 30 minutes to an hour. I actually vomited 3 times during this period of time and I didn't think I could stand up straight because it hurt so bad. I contemplated going to the hospital but I didn't want to burden anyone to bring me.

Last night, I went out to eat after only eating a granola bar all day and I ate about 2 bites of mashed potatoes, 2 bites of baked beans and probably 2 ounces of pulled pork. About 10 minutes after I ate, stomach started hurting again... this time, I went to the ER where they performed blood tests, urine analysis and an ultrasound. The ultrasound determined that I DEFINITELY had gallstones and they recommended me to see a surgeon again.

So here I am, feeling fine, but knowing my gallbladder is filled with stones.

They said I can't eat fatty foods unless I want the pain to come back.

Just thought I'd share the update...

I have the same extremely painful symptoms as have been described by all posting here (starts about an hour after eating, under right rib cage or right around belly-button, starts dull and becomes intolerable, must lay down, dissapates about 3 hours later). I've done the ER thing, seen doctors, had tests, but nothing was found to be wrong. I do have a family history of gallstones, but doctors have ruled that out with me and, after reading how many of you have had your gall bladders removed and still have the pain etc., I'm not going to worry that maybe the doctor is wrong on that one.
However, I have, like many of you, narrowed the trigger down to eggs. I'd eaten eggs for the first 37 years of my life without any problems. Then, 2 or so years ago, I started having the attacks. The attacks, then, seemed to happen always on Fridays, which I finally realized was connected with casual day when I wore jeans, which tend to bind one's stomach - try wearing looser clothing - that helped me a little. I had the attacks for a few months and then it stopped for a while. I continued to have them, but infrequently. As they seemed to happen when I ate eggs, I avoided eggs for months. No attacks. Last Fall I had french toast for the first time in months (uses an egg/milk batter) and had a minor attack. This morning I went out to breakfast. Of course, it's hard for me to find a non-egg breakfast that looks appealing (I also seem to have blood suger issues (although tests show normal), so can't eat very sweet things in the a.m. or more simple sugar items like pancakes without feeling very sluggish). I chose the cheese blintzes. I haven't checked, but I'm fairly certain the blintzes are made with eggs (duh!), cuz I'm now having another attack - not full-blown, though. It's frustrating and I especially miss the occasional breakfast burrito, but feel fortunate that I know what triggers the excrutiating/disabling attacks and can mostly avoid them by avoiding eggs. Cakes and breads, which I assume have eggs in them, don't bother me. Doctors were no help at all.
For the record, like some here have mentioned, I also seem to have a very slow digestion process and sometimes don't have a bowel movement for 2 weeks, despite eating salads, vegies, fruit, grains and taking a fiber drink mix. Further (related?), I have suffered from atopic dermatitis (a diagnosis which simply means dr. doesn't know what's wrong) - very itchy skin on my arms and shoulders, with apparently irritated hair follicles that develop pus and leave craters in the skin when scratched. Then, of course, the scabs itch and once they finally heal (if I can somehow not scratch in my sleep), the scars itch. Unbelievably, my general doctor told me this was in my head, and I quote, "like some people imagine they have spiders crawling on them." Any wonder that I'm dissapointed with doctors? ; )

I went through the same thing over a period of several years and it does not get better.. trust me..You can try a gallbladder cleanse if the stones are small enough and you can pass em sometimes,, You will feel better look it up on curezonedotcome.. that is curezone with a .com folks.

Also you will not have any more attacks after surgery .. thank God because nothing comes close to this pain!! Some foods might give you problems afterwards .. Its a craps shoot because you never know if you will be the one who has bile salts diarrhea or other symtpoms or the one who gains 30lbs beccause fats can not be broken down. etc..

You can take caltrate 600+D to elviate diarrhea or ask dr to give you welchol or Questran or some sort of bile seqeusterant in order to soak up excess bile in your colon because your liver is always producing it with no sac to hold it. Eating 6 small meals a day will help as the bile has something to digest instead of irritating your colon. I would allow yourself months or even a year before going to meds because it can take your system awhile to get used to not having the gallbladder...

I am going to be trying welchol soon because I am getting D a few times a week myself.. Dont give up.. your lifes not over..

good luck

Mine started with shrimp. Happened sometimes after I ate shrimp and sometimes not It was a Russian roulette Then occasionally with peanut butter and now it is eggs. It doesn't happen every time I eat these things but it is miserable when it does I have had Gallbladder ruled out. It comes on within 20-30 minutes after eating these things and lasts for 1 to a few hours I have found no medicine, OTC and even a few prescription pain killers that I have tried completely take it away. The only relief I can get is a heating pad over the area until I fall asleep and when i wake up it is usually gone. And yes the drs. think I am nuts too! Wish I could figure it out.

tp guest!!! i know what you are going through i have had my gallbladder removed and still have extremely bad pain was on prilosec for about 6 months didnt work so stopped takin it.. still in extreme pain so doc ups the dose of prilosec and gives me another script for it.. which still isnt workin.. they say its gastropathy but i do not believe them cause if it was the prilosec would help it.. i was told i have khrons disease about 4 years ago but once they found my gallbladder was bad they looked over that thought but i still think its that.. i need help findind whats wrong.. one day i can eat subway and then next i cant.. and let me tell ya i only eat the same thing on my sandwhiches from there everytime nothing changes so i dont get why i am getting sick..

well, it's been about a year since my last post, but I'll close my story for those who care, in case it should be of help to anyone.

So, I went through two months of hell, ended up having an ultrasound, endoscopy, stool analysis for parasites, among other things. No colonoscopy, I might add. Anyways, right around the time I had my endoscopy, my month-long course of prilosec ended. And over the course of 2-3 weeks from the day I stopped the prilosec, I got better, little by little, and the pain has never come back. My diet has no limits, alcohol, coffee, wheats, meats, anything goes.

My guesses: 1) a stomach ulcer, which healed itself while on the antibiotics / prilosec, but that prilosec itself made me worse and contributed to my living hell during part of it, or

2) stress. The gastroenterologist I saw said that "I've seen stress do some incredible things," and I'm inclined to agree. I was stressed like hell about some girl, my housing situation, and my job, and if nothing else that certainly didn't help.

Anyways, God bless you all (I'm an atheist, but you understand the compassion in those words), and may anyone reading this massive chain-post find a way to get better! It's weird to think that whenever I do die, I probably can face no greater pain or loneliness than I went through on that journey. So for now, it is time to live.

you are not alone~
-bob

When I wake up I can't eat or else my stomach will hurt a lot shortly after and I'd be and get diarrhea 10 minutes after and wont stop hurting until my stomach is all cleared

Same pain here as many. Starts right bellow the rib cage and gradually gets worse, at times radiating to the back. Lasts about 2 hours or so. Fatty foods, cheese, butter and sometimes beer or whiskey will do it. It might be a combination of them, or just one by itself. The worst one I have ever gotten was when I ate a tuna melt. Don't really know whats going on, but I have been dealing with the pains for 10 years now. Im afraid to waste time and money on the doctors visit since very few people have actually been diagnosed correctly!

I feel everyones pain, good luck. I will try some suggestions, it seems everyone's problem ad "cure" is slightly different.

Thank You.

I have the same problems as everyone else. The only way I can find to relieve the pain is a hot bath. However as soon as I get out of the tub it comes right back.

I have the exact same pain and can eat something one day and be fine and then eat the exact same thing another day and be deathly sick.

The pain is indescribable. It's like "God I think I'm dying!" pains in my upper stomach area which eventually spread down through my intestines till it dissipates about a day later with some repercussion of waves of pains.

It happened to me today when I had a slice of pizza at a local pizza parlor I frequent often. My search for an answer brought me to this forum. I have had this horrible problem I since I was a child. No doctor has helped. I have had every test done imaginable (gall bladder, endoscopy, colonoscopy, food allergies (I have only one to pineapples) you name it - only to get a negative result).

Then it hit me. When I was a little girl, I ended up in the hospital with these pains for over a week of studies only to send me home with nothing wrong with me. But I remember something my pediatrician advised me when I was in the hospital which was to start keeping all my foods in the refrigerator (syrup, peanut butter, bread, etc). And by doing this, I never get sick when I ate at home, only when I ate out. Or even when I would grab one of those peanut butter crackers to satisfy hunger quickly I would get those horrible pains and just didn't know why a peanut butter cracker would make me so sick.

So, today, when the pain started about 15 minutes after eating the slice of pizza. I quickly popped about 4 ibuprofen for the pain and began a frantic search online for anyone else who may have this problem - then I found this posting. While I was searching, I read about HISTAMINE TOXICITY in certain foods and thought maybe an antihistamine might help me even though I don't have any food allergies it almost is like some kind of reaction. And WALLA - about 45 minutes after taking a Claritan, the pain started to subside and was gone about 1 hour later - that has never happened - pain start to finish usually last about 12 hours or more.

So I think I figured out my problem and maybe yours - the pizza today was lukewarm (barely heated up at all) and probably sitting around for quite some time - obviously sitting out long enough for it to become toxic (whether it was histamine toxicity or someother bacterial toxicity) it caused a reaction for me. That is why sometimes I can eat pizza and sometimes I can't. It make complete sense to me.

Please try this remedy the next time you experience the pain and tell me what happens. I would be curious to know if all the years I have suffered with this may be finally over and a simple antihistamine.

Thanks,
Dawn