I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with me for basically the past two years now... here's my story:

I'm 20 years old now but when I was 18 in July of 2004 I got my tonsils taken out so I couldn't really eat anything that wasn't soft for about two weeks... as soon as I felt better I ate a freschetta frozen pizza along with a bunch of mozzerella sticks... a couple of hours went by after eating and all of the sudden I started to feel some slight pain directly in the middle of my stomach... I'd say about 4 inches above my belly button. The pain started off as slight and progressed to severe over the time of about an hour or so. After trying to wait it out by laying down in bed I realized that wasn't going to work so I went to the ER and got myself checked out. They performed numerous tests but not before giving me an IV filled with Demerol... twice... and then another drug that starts with a D to get rid of the pain. (The woman told me that she gave me much more than the average person... and she also stated that if she gave herself what she gave me she would have been passed out... the pain was a 10/10 but was relieved by the drugs) The tests that were performed were some sort of blood tests, prostate test / exam and an ultrasound of my abdomen. At this time they came to the conclusion that my gallbladder was the main source of pain because it had "sludge" in it. Also, my spleen was enlarged... but that, I don't think, is related because I have hereditary spherocytosis and my spleen has always been bigger than the average size. Anyways, they told me they wanted to take out my gallbladder... my father wanted a second opinion so off to Boston I went to see some specialists. They did the same tests there and told me I was going to have to stay overnight to be monitored. The night passed without any pain and I was released without having any surgery the next day. A week later I then ate steak for the first time since before having my tonsils out and the same pain in the same location happened again. This time, I waited it out which was the worst thing I could have possibly done... the way I can describe it is that it feels like someone opened up your stomach and is gripping that area below the middle of your ribcage / a few inches above your belly button and is squeezing it in a vice... that's how bad it hurts. So I went back to the doctors in Boston and told them that it had happened again and they did another ultrasound of my abdomen and said that my gallbladder was fine this time and they thought that the pain wasn't related to the gallbladder or spleen at all. They had me see a gastroenterologist... he then told me that I may have a stomach ulcer which could be the cause of the pain or GERD. So they did an endoscopy on me and found nothing. He provided me with a perscription of Nexium which I guess seemed to help because I didn't have any problems for a few months... until one day my stomach slightly started hurting again... I'd say this was around May of 2005 and it was probably only the 4th time it had happened. The pain was nothing compared to the first two times... after this time, I had absolutely no problems at all... until July 13th, 2006... 2 days ago. Over the past year I had been eating all the foods that anyone could have wanted to eat... steak, hamburgers, french fries, ice cream, pasta... I keep the fried foods to a minimum but I still like to enjoy them once in a while. So this is what happened... I was waiting for a flight from London to Boston and was pretty hungry so I decided to eat a cheeseburger and french fries from some restaurant at the airport... not a big deal, so I thought. About 2 hours later as I'm sitting in my seat on the plane, my stomach starts to slightly hurt and for a few minutes and progressed into the full blown 10/10 pain for about 5 minutes... then disappeared. I thought to myself, "Wow, that was the first time that happened in at least a year". Little did I know that about 45 minutes later it was going to come back as strong as ever... and it did, for over an hour. The flight attendants started asking me if I was alright because saw me in agony. I had to stand up it hurt so bad... I basically stood in the back of the plane next to the window for over an hour straight thinking to myself, "Why does this have to happen to me? What did I do to deserve this???" Then the pain subsided and I felt pretty much normal again; which is exactly what has happened every time the pain came on strong... it just dwindles away. So I thought that if I just eat low fat foods and no red meat I should be fine... wrong. Yesterday, July 14th, the day after the flight from London, I grilled some chicken and turkey and ate a little bit of the turkey. About 20 minutes passed and I got that same vice-gripping pain in the middle of my stomach for about 15 minutes and then it went away. I was thinking maybe it was the turkey, so I'm gonna try the chicken now... I tried the chicken, same thing happened about 20 minutes after I ate it... the pain lasted for about 10 minutes. (My guess is that the pain only lasted for these short amount of times is because I only ate so little). The foods that I have ate in the past 2 days that have not bothered me have been a bagel with egg beaters, a cold cut sandwich (bulkie roll, roast beef slices, turkey slices, chicken slices and 2 pieces of cheese), some sorbet and some "half fat" ice cream. Also, last night I went to Applebee's and had a strawberry daiquiri and a mudslide and I felt the pain from, my guess is the mudslide, about a half an hour later for about 10 minutes straight. Can anyone point me in the right direction and help me figure out what is wrong with me? What kind of doctors would you recommend that I see? To me, it feels like this is taking over my life... my life was literally put on hold 2 years ago when it first happened because I was supposed to move to Florida to go to college but because of it's timing, I could not do that. If I have to become a vegetarian... life for me is over. (By the way I'm not fat or anything either... I work out regularly and I'm 5'6 about 140lbs) This problem is ruining my life. Please, if possible, help me out here. My email address is pcrayon@gmail.com and I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you!!!

It sounds to me you were passing a gallstone.Some people I know had the same problem.The only other thing I could think of is it also could be an ulcer.I would have more test done.

Wow...I've been on here for hours trying to figure out what is wrong with me...and after reading your story...I realized I'm not the only person going through this severe pain...I've had every test imaginable and nothing has showed up...I've only been able to eat soft pretzels, crackers, and cereal...needless to say I miss REAL food! I have an appointment with a surgeon Wednesday...I was just wondering if you ever found out what you had?
Thanks!
gorgeous_girl_22@hotmail.com

I have also been having the same type of pain for months. I am already vegetarian for thee last 10 years and eat pretty much healthy. I now cannot anything with more than a few grams of fat or I have severe pain. It usually comes on an hour or two after eating and lasts up to four hours. My most recent attack came on within 20 minutes of my meal and lasted 11 hours straight. I don't go to the ER because they can't figure out what is wrong. I have had the following tests done:

Ultrasound
Hida Scan
Endoscopy
MRI
Endoscopic Ultrasound

They cannot find anything wrong, Dr. keeps saying I have "classic" gall bladder symptoms. I am going crazy. I just keep losing weight. I can't eat out at all. When I travel for work I have to get a hotel with a kitchenette so I can prepare my own meals. I hope that I don't have to do this forever. Please let me know if figure out what is wrong with you, and I will do the same!

Monica

I have also had a similar problem for about 5 years, that has gradually worsened. After eating anything fatty, fried and sometimes orange juice I get a severe pain in the center of my abdomen, just below my rib cage. Last week I visited a gastroenterologist, who, after inspection said there was a piece of my abdominal muscles missing (a birth defect apparently) and that this could be the reason for my pain. He said that I also may have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Next week I am having an ultrasound to check for gallstones and check out this muscle defect. I also had 21 blood tests today to check for anything else which could be causing the problem.

I guess in the meantime I'll have to continue living on my diet of salads and chicken! :-D

Have you though about cutting out milk and milk products ? Look up lactose intolerance.

I have also had those kindas of pains. sometimes after i eat but always in the mornings when i wake up. I can not go through a morning without laying down after i get up because thats all that helps it. probebly about mis afternoon it goes away. I sometimes need to eat for it to feel better. I am so confused.

I also have had these symptoms and i have also been to the ER and they have found nothing wrong with me. My pain seems to radiate across my abdomen to my back and is excruciating i have had 3 attacks in the last 2 days and have not went to the hospital for fear of wasting money. I have noticed however that in all three of the last attacks and another one a couple weeks ago, i have eaten eggs or something with eggs as an ingredient. Well if anyone figures out what is going on with them please let me know as i am in dyer need of some help.
Thanks

I have had this problem as well and am trying desperately to figure out what it is. It is the same pain I have expierenced since a teenager from whenever I would eat eggs, but since the birth of my son everytime I eat almost any kind of wheat product I get a horrible stomach ache under the ribs that feels like someone is twisting my insides. I am assuming it is egg mixed in the breads. I get confused though because there are some breads I can eat and not have any pain. I think it may also be some sort of wheat intolerance. It it is the egg though I read that it hurt because if your body is not digesting it properly it just sits in the gut. There is a protein in egg that some people can't tolerate. I am hoping to go to a specialist soon because I don't know what I can and can't eat anymore.

My pain starts anywhere from 15 to an hour after I eat, I know it is coming before it really gets started. It builds to the 10 stays there for some time then dies down only to start back up again, going on like this for 12 to 14 hours. the past 2 times I have had an attack I had vomiting and severe diarrhea (straight water)
Pain is center right below my rib cage. I am 34 6'3" 235lbs and can take pain but this will put me on the ground rolling around not able to get up. I have been dealing with this for the past 8 years now and am on my 6th doctor . I can only eat chicken,
turkey, breads, fruit and vegetables but even then I have to watch how they are
cooked. Beef, pork, any dairy, chocolate, some types of fish, catfish especially
all set it off for 12 to 14 hours. I had my gallbladder taken out, not it! I have
had, upper endoscope, colonoscopy, hidascan, ERCP, internal ultrasound, CT scan,
CTA scan, 24 hour urine studies, blood tests for liver and pancreas enzyme tests,
I even swallowed a small video camera that filmed my small intestines, and all
have produced nothing. I am going insane with this. I made myself sick for a doctors
(gastroenterologist) visit and they could not believe what they were seeing and
how severe the pain was. Two injections or Toridal and Perkaset on top of that,
was enough for me to survive the ride home and get into bed, I still had some pain
but it was a 3 instead of the 10. I have been told that I do not have ulcerative
colitis, crone’s disease, acute or chronic pancreatitis, sphincter of ode problems,
and no artery or blood vessel blockage. They just gave up on me today and want me
to go to the Mayo Clinic for an in-depth evaluation.
mjplat0@msn.com

Hiya - saw your post - I have heridarty spherecytosis as well and my gall bladder was finally taken out 1994. My spleen was removed when I was 5 because of the enlargment. One of main symtoms in worsening HS is stomach pain with gall bladder pain and enlarged spleen. When i got my gall bladder out - doc said yep we usually take those out with spleen now for patients with HS as we know they have issues with it as well. My mum has HS and a sister and both their gall bladders are out (later) with spleens (both age 6). My sisters two kids have HS and their doc said that he'll try not to take spleen out unless necessary but when it does the gall bladder will need to come out as always an issue with patients with HS. Go back to your haemtologist. That may be the issue

I am sitting here in pain trying to search the internet and came across these posting. I am miserable with these "attacks" I am having. I had my gallbladder removed about 2 years ago and the pains are the same... in the middle above the belly button. I went to the ER the other night and got no relief. I am scheduled to see a gastro dr and have more tests ran on 12-13 but am not real hopeful of finding anything. I have extreme bowel movements and have ran across some info that makes me wonder about bile obstruction. I have bright gold bowle movements that are extremely loose and end up straight water. I work out of my car and am tired of becoming all too familiar with gas station bathrooms. Any info is appreciated.

Hi, I have been encountering a pain in my right side below the rib cage last 2 months. It has given rise to high acid reflux, irrespective of any food I eat. Alkaline food gave the same result. Was wondering what is wrong

Initially doc suspected gall stone, so i got it tested by abdomen ultrasound scan and it came out negative. To make sure I had HIDA scan which turned to be negative. My liver was normal in size, my pancreas and spleen and kidneys were all normal. Then I was referred to gastroentrologist who subjected me to EGD, they found that bacteria is the culprit. H-Pylori is a bacteria that could affect the stomach, intestine and duodenum (where the bile, pancreatic juice and food mix) . This bacteria wouldnt get off so easily. So i have been put on strong dosage of antibiotics 2000mg of amoxycilin per day. Thats frightening` :-( . Since the third dosage onwards it has upset my stomach (diarrhea). The doc said the bacteria wouldnt get off so easily and this bacteria needs to be given a final ditch and not to stop on the medicine as that bacteria might resurface.

I a vegan and now on a bland diet with almost no salt and spice.

I am still experiencing the same problem soon after eating the pain below my right ribs (lower quadrant). But not the acid reflux any more. Not sure if anything else in store for me. Would appreciate any suggestions to get rid of my trauma. Thanks in advance.

Yes for anyone having problems 15mins to an hour after eating, I would recommend trying a lot of different things before having surgeries. Be aware that a lot of medications cause stomach or intestinal problems, so if you're taking ANYTHING at all go read about your medications. If constipation or diahrea is listed as a possible side affect then realize that this may be causing problems even if you don't have constipation or diahrea - it may just be causing gas pain or generalized 'abdominal discomfort'. The only way to know is to talk to your doctor and try stopping the medication for a week (after asking your doctor).

Try taking a fiber powder immediately after a meal. Benefiber works well. Citrucel works ok (the flavorless kind, not the orange kind). Fiber Sure doesn't seem to work like the others. This is especially good for people who know that fatty foods bother their stomache. If fats or oils bother you, take a fiber powder with your meals.

You can taking try Ginger capsules with your food, you can find Ginger capsules in most Walgreens or GNC.

Eat more vegetables and fruits. One apple or orange or banana immediately after every meal can help stomache problems a lot. Generally eating it afterwards is more effective.

Fasting (i.e. nothing to eat or drink except gatorade/powerade for several days straight) is the hardest but more effective than most things. I've made it three days before but much longer is hard. Three days is minimally effective, you need to make it five days before your body gets any relief. Some people say fasting for one week each year is healthy. Check the internet for more information about fasting. I would love to say 'ask your doctor' but they would probably just discourage you because they're worried about eating disorders.

Exercise.

Get checked for H-Pylori, but this test can come up false negative.

WOW I thought I was the only one getting this! I get it a couple times a year but its HORRIBLE! I thought maybe it was IBS, but not all my symptoms match it. I find that if I have stress or if I eat a large meal sometimes when I lay down for awhile I start feeling a pain, A twisting pain in the middle of my stomach (below the rib cage) I feel like it is gas and if it just could come out I would feel better. But it doesn't and it last for hours, up to 7 sometimes. Then the next day I have horrible diarrhea, but I usually don't care because it makes me feel better.......

I just don't understand what is causing this. I have had it for a little over 3 years and it can come usually at night out of the blue... It's horrible and I feel for all of you! I sweat and just am in so much pain I don't want anyone near me. I find walking helps me the most.....

I really hope everyone gets better fast. I'm considering going to the Dr about it after last night. I can't go through it anymore. :-(