Hello everyone, My father is a bus driver (city bus) who has been driving bus for 20 years now. He has just been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 and he is afraid of losing his job. Right now he is controlling his diabetes with diet and exercise but his doctor is telling him that he may have to go on insulin in the near future. At the moment I'm concerned about him being tired all the time. I've been thinking that his diet is so restricted he's just not getting enough vitamins and minerals. I'm trying to convince him to take a multivitamin and of course he is stubborn. Can anyone tell me if his job is threatened and anything else we might need to know? Thanks.

Hi, It's difficult to say whether your father's job is at risk. Driving a city bus I guess would be under state jurisdiction and each state has their own rules. You'll need to find out what your state has to say about this. I known that a couple of states in the U.S. can't refuse to hire a person that has diabetes based only on the person's diagnosis of diabetes. I think if there is any question about your dad's medical fitness, he will have to be assessed based on how well he manages his diabetes. This is particularly important with hypoglycemia. If you has hypos under control there shouldn't be a problem. I think you can just state you don't have hypos or if you do you have to provide medical information about those episodes and whether you required assistance.

It's kinda a crazy how states identify diabetic drivers. Some just ask you directly or the person may be required to identify themselves. Some states have questionaires that may ask how likely it is for the person to pass out while driving. If the person has uncontrolled hypos and could pass out, a medical evaluation will have to be administered to determine if the license can remain active.

Do an Internet search to find out what the rules are in your state. Take a look at your father's contract and see what it says. That should tell you a lot. If he is required to make statements or fill out questions, make sure he is fully informed about the best way to answer.

As far as you dad feeling tired, he probably needs a multivitamin. Quite often diabetics are low on vitamins A, Bs and C as well as magnesium and potassium and other minerals as well. Get a good quality multi and I have no doubt within a couple of days he feel a lot better.