I had a miscarriage a month ago. I stopped bleeding 2 weeks ago. Yesterday evening I started having menstral like cramps and last night I noticed a brownish discharge when I went to the bathroom. I haven't had any cramps today, but I am still having the brownish discharge. I'm not sure if this is the beginning of my menstrual cycle or not. Is this what your period is supposed to be like after a miscarriage?

I see this is an old post but my response may help someone else going through the same thing now. I've had 3 miscarriages.

After a loss, things are majorly messed up with your cycle. You can have various discharge as the cycle tries to get back on track. After a loss your period can be a bit delayed, it won't necessarily arrive at the 4 week point that you would expect but if you haven't had it 7 weeks after the miscarriage, contact the doctor who can gibe you a shot/tablets of progesterone to kick start your new cycle.

You need to be without bleeding for a minimum of 17 days for the next blood loss to be your period, it takes that long for a new cycle to begin, bleeding within this time of 17 days maybe a little left over from the miscarriage itself. It is normal for things to be out of whack with the homrones. 

Some find the first period afterwards is a light one, others find it very heavy.