For years now I've been getting what I call "flash headaches". Mostly they occur when I change position (sitting up to laying down, rolling over, occasionally standing to sitting, and when I move my head quickly). It is intense pain starting from the back of my head and quickly radiates to cover the entire head with throbbing in my forehead. It feels as if my head is going to explode with every throb. The duration can usually be counted in seconds but occasionally will last up to 10 minutes. All I can do is hold my head and lie still until the throbbing head and the pulsing sound I hear stops. Then it goes away as it came. I've been to the doctor for this problem - had MRI/MRA's, Corotid Artery tests.... all they found was a sinus infection. But as I said, this has been going on for about 10 years now off and on. They'll start with only having 1 a week and move to 15-20 a day, then back off and I won't have any for months.

sounds like it might be related to blood flow. Throbing head relates to pulse of your heart. If your blood pressure is normal, i would say your best bet is to investigate muscle tone of the back of your neck. There are muscles that lie on what is your artery that passes into the base of the skull. This might be related to poor posture making tight muscles.

I use to get headaches from working at my desk job and i went and saw a Chiropractor. They specialise in headaches and neck pain, i would say that is your best bet.

For last 2 months I get about 15 'flash headaches' a day. They come at no specific function and last about 5 seconds and then gone. They aren't overly painful but I wonder why I get them and if they may be a signal of something more serious. I'm age 70 and my vitals are all good