Hi I am 20 years old and I am considering doing surgery to remove the hammertoe. I have hammertoe on all of my toes except for my big toe on both toes. It has started to become uncomfortable when I am wearing shoes. I visited a podiatrist and he told me that I will be up and moving around like usual in about a week. But ready a lot of posts on this site I am starting to believe different.

Can you tell me a little bit about your experiences during and after surgery. How long did it take? How much did it cost? What did the surgical shoe look like and how was your foot bandaged? How long did it take you to recover?

I am starting a summer job in the beginning of June and I am planning on having my surgery during the beginning of May. Do you think that is enough recovery time?

Thanks for your help!

Hi, i am 10 weeks after my op - to remove small bunion, straighten the big toe and 'reshape' my 3 toes from the hammer toe position.  i have a 3" scar on the side of my big toe - which will be o.k. when it fades and is on the side so won't show in shoes! my 3 toes had pins put into them and the tendons were released. on top of my foot at the bottom of my 3 toes there is a dimple like scar under each toe and under the toes is a small bump, i guess where they released the tendons and this is the scar!  The op was o.k. i was asleep for the op and they also gave a nerve killing injection into the back of my knee to dull the pain, i had no discomfort for 2 days.

The dressisng was o.k. except the pins they put in were twisted at the end where they came out from the top of my toes so a dressing was over them too but they still kept catching on bed  clothes - but it was o.k. ish? the shoe gives a lot of protection and it is obvious that you have had an op on the foot so less embarrasing.  the dressing was changed after two weeks but the doc that did the dressing was useless and i kept on re doing it myself with better bandages etc.,

After 6 weeks the pins were removed, it was slightly painful but not too bad? the stiches came out themselves, the foot remained swollen and has gone down 'slowly' over these remaining 4 weeks - i stopped wearing the 'shoe like sandle' a week ago but can only get one shoe on from my wardrobe and this is a trainer type shoe!  the big toe has been no problem other than sore and is straight, i'm quite pleased with this.  The 3 toes are straighter?  but not perfect and the knuckle joint is still sticking up, not as much and if i pull on the toes they do go straight but won't stay straight - maybe they will over time?

I was not told of any excercises to do nor called back for follow up. this was done on the NHS although when i had private health care i did see the specialist some 5 years ago but put off the op as it did not sound too nice?  got my GP to write to him again explaining i had no private H care, he saw me and did op on the NHS.

At my 6 week check i explained about the other foot and they Xrayed and agreed it needed doing and put me on the waiting list, i am waiting to hear now for the other foot.

it's not too pleasant and can get painful as i guess the nerves knit together again and you will limp and you will be given strong pain killers; morphine. it will ache and the pain comes and goes.  It was a good 2 wks before i walked around (limping a bit) more confidently. My advice is go ahead 'cus your foot will at least look a bit better after the op.  i wish you Good Luck.

Thanks for your reply. It was really helpful. I have scheduled my surgery for next week. I am having surgery on 4 toes (2 on each foot). I am really excited to see the end result, but I am really nervous.

Don't be nervous, if it is only your two smaller toes and not your big toes then that's less pain than i had for a start! on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the worse i would say when pins come out it would rate a 6 and the after pain a 7 going down to a 4 for a good while i would say mine was a 3 now after 11 wks. i now think it is where they release the tendons so under the toes is a little more delicate. You'll be fine. Good Luck - i'm still waiting for my other foot op and it is the same op so i know now what to expect?

Is it normal to have pain and swelling after hammer toe surgery? I had hammer toe surgery on Thursday, and I had my  joint shaved, tendons cut, a tendon transfer done, along with 4 pins in my toes. My toes have been swollen and painful since. Am on perkeset for pain control. I will have the pins in place for 4 weeks, and will be in the surgical shoe for 6 weeks. I was in the hospital for 24 hours for pain control and was on dilaudid for 36 hours.