hi im 22 years old and im thinking about hammertoe and bunion surgery i just wanna know if anyone got this and can they enlighten me about this procedure. is it very painful and what is the recovery time. i been reading many of the post up here and im very nervous about getting this done some say it very bad pain and some say the really didnt have any pain. im reall nervous and i dont know what to do. im hearing about this minimally invasive surgery but my doctor says its garbage not to get it but i hear its less trauma and faster healing time but i hear they dont alight the bones and they just shave the toes down. can anyone who got this tell me about thank you :-( :-(

I am a 20 year old who had hammer toe and bunion(ette) - the pinky toe side surgery. It's been two weeks, almost three, and I'm feeling a lot better now. I admit, the medicine they gave me to get put to sleep... I didn't react well. It just made me sick for a couple days. The pain is more of a burning sensation that is uncomfortable. Yes, I would say more of an uncomfortable feeling than "pain." Now, when you land on your foot on accident, there is pain and tingling. If you bump into something, there is pain, but not so much that you will regret the surgery. The downfall of the whole thing, in my opinion, is not being able to drive for a while, or walk. You definitely have more respect for handicapped people.

My surgery was as follows: They kind of broke my four toes, putting pins through three of them. The pins stick out of the tops of my toes. The forth toe incision connected to the bunionette incision, so there wasn't a pin in that toe. The bunionette incision was pretty long, and they put two little screws in the bones where they reconnected them to form a straight line.

I will have to get my second foot done eventually, and I will. The surgery is probably worth it, although I haven't seen the results yet, I already can't believe how straight my toes are from the surgery.

I went to one of the top orthopedic surgeons in Dallas and had four toes done. My foot looks mangled and I would never do this again. Do not have this surgery unless you absolutely have to!

I haave had this surgery done twice on both feet (both feet bein done at the same time). I didnt think there was a lot of pain, mostly just uncomfortableness, although they did give me a LOT of pain medication to take home so I was asleep a lot of the time and hd to keep feet elevated, each toe was broken and straightened with pins inserted and I would have to say the sorest part is getting the pins removed as they just pull them out afte a couple of months but its a short lived pain....after the first surgery the toes were great however a few months after healing they started to bend again so I had to go again and get some joints removed and the bones all fused together while living in hope they would still have some bendability/movement in them and again I had to have pins in them all....by the way I had 4 toes on each toe done (minus the big toes)....so once again healed my toes were great and oh so straight with movement in them all....but now im waiting to go back once more 4th nov, just 3 weeks away, as some of my toes have reverted back to their bent state and have no movement so this is the last op they will do and will be inserted screws into all my bones so I can have actual movement and if this fails thats all they can do unless I want the couple of problem toes removed...which I can say I do not.

One other thing, I have had a lot of problems with cramping of the toes since both surgeries and have had to have a lot of physiotherapy and different muscle spasam medications and then had to get special insoles made for my shoes....this was a pain in the butt and after everything I would still say I am happy I received all these surgeries because I live with no pain and the lack of movement will be fixed shotrly and also I can wear beautiful high heeled shoes and boots now which I never could before....okay they hurt sometimes its just findin pairs that fit right in the end really.

Goodluck with your impending surgery I am sorry if this freaked you out smewhat but theres no point beating around the bush as I am assumin you wanted people's honest opinions and well it cant be that bad if im headin in for round 3 :-) xx

I had the surgery and I am 18 and in college, I thought it would be hard to get around but it was not at all hard. I had a cast on for 2 weeks then in a walking boot (post op boot) It was not painful at all I was so scared but It was the best choice I have ever made. It is still healing but I am walking on it. I also recorded the surgery so if anyone wants to see just e-mail me at **** good luck

MELISSA

Hi! I note that these concerns about bunion surgery are a couple of years old. Have you had your surgery, or are you still putting it off? I put my surgery off for 14 years, and now that I have had them, I wish I had done it sooner. I recently had left foot surgery for both hammer toe and bunionectomy. Yes it was painful after the anesthetic block wore off. I did take pain meds for 14 days. It is a long recovery period, and you should let your friends know that it will be a difficult time, for you. My doctor, who is very highly recommended, in the Seattle area, did not allow me to walk for six weeks. Then there was 6 weeks of physical therapy. I used a knee stroller for the first 6 weeks, then started walking with one crutch and an air boot. Now that the foot is healed it is painless and very attractive to look at. There are several different proceedures for bunion and hammer toe.I had a Lapidus bunionectomy and a Weilostomy for hammer toe. The foot looked and felt like hamburger for 7 weeks. What else would I expect? The surgical tools are saws that cut through and remove bones afterall. Once you make it through the process, you will have a beautiful healthy foot.

Hi, I have just had my bunion and hammer toe done 2wks ago now.  The proceedure was almost painless.  While I did not feel anything regarding the bunion, I did feel the work on my hammer toe. Allbeit, it was over in minutes.  Unfortunately, in the process of fixing my bunion, they fractured my bone.  Instead of 1 pin, I now have 4.  Also, instead of having to wait 3days before limited weight on my foot, I now have to keep ALL weight off untill further notice. I'm told 4-6wks.  Added to this, I may have DVT in the lower leg to which the op was done.  I am getting a scan done to find out one way or other, here's hoping its negative.

My belief is that the tourniquet was on to long, because of the extra proceedure they had to do for the facture.

As I need my other foot done as well, I think I'll just live with it! 

Who was the surgeon? I am in the Dallas area, and at the point that I am considering the surgery. I just want to know who I should avoid

I also live in Dallas. I have painful bunions and bunionettes on both feet and two hammer toes on my right foot. I have been to 3 doctors and there is such a disparity in treatment I just don't know what to do. The podiatrist wants to do 4 toes on my right foot first - would cut the bones and put in screws on all 4. IMO foot would be wrapped and I would be non weight bearing for 2 weeks, then the stitches would come out and I would be weight bearing in a boot for 4 weeks. One ortho wants to do the big toe on my right foot and 1-2 hammer toes depending on what he finds. The big toe will have a chevron cut and screws, the hammer toes will have pins that will be removed in 6 weeks. I would be in a boot for 6 weeks and can put weight on my heel immediately. The 3rd doc(ortho) only wants to do the big toe on my right foot and adjust the tendon on the second toe with the worst hammertoe. I would be in a cast for 6 weeks and not be weight bearing the whole tie. I am 63 years old and also have arthritis. What procedure did you have? Who was the doctor that messed up your foot? Can anyone recommend a good doctor in the Dallas area?

hi please let me know are u found a doctor in dallas area .and i want to get appoinment i think san paul hospital is the best place to start more new technlougey