I had hammertoe surgery on my left foot, second toe on Sept 28. I was on bed rest for 2 weeks and kept my foot elevated and continued icing 20 minutes every hour for at least one week. When I went to the Dr a week later, Oct 5, for my first post-op checkup, he removed the pin from my toe saying that the pin had served its purpose. He gave me some antibiotics to take 4 times a day for 10 days. The following week on Oct 11th when I went for my second post-op and the Dr removed the bandage, I was shocked to see my second toe filled with fluid, the nail was almost blue and the base of the toe had turned purple. My Dr removed the stiches and drained the fluid, he rebandaged the entire area and told me to continue with the antibiotics. After 2 weeks of bed rest, I went to work on Oct 15. By the end of the day my feet were extremely swollen and painful. My antibiotics course completed the same day. The next morning, I visited the Dr and found that there was an area where pus was oozing..He gave me another antibiotic to take twice a day for 10 days. I am really scared that It might be an infection. I have read dreadful things about post-hammertoe surgery infections. My Dr is saying its delayed healing because there is no smell in the incision area. Has anybody experienced something similar? I’m able to walk without crutches now but I still wear the boot and use a cast cover when I take a shower. Please share your experiences if you experienced any complications after hammertoe surgery.

Update - It's been 2 days since I have started taking the new antibiotic. I went to the Dr today. He took the bandages off and the toe seems to healing well..It looks better already. He rebandaged the area and told me to take the bandages off after 5 days and wash the site with soap and water and just put plain bandaid and some neosporin after that..so far so good! My body does have a problem with healing sometimes and it could be a result of that. Otherwise, like I said before, I'm able to walk without crutches now!

I am going through a similiar situation but my surgery the pin was in for a month and then it was stuck and the Dr, had to grab my toe and yank it out. This caused excreciating pain. Two weeks later I though I had an infection and the Dr. noted it but I was not given any antibiotics? I stubbed my toe and in turned into a blister filled with fluid. I popped it hoping it would go away, it didn't. I went to the primary physicians office hoping to be seen so I wouldn't spend hours in urgent care. The doctor was baffled and said I need to see awound care specilist. This took over a month. April 27th was the first vistit. My right foot/2nd toe looks like a brain is coming out of it. They said it looked like popcorn. Liticane was placed on the toe and then silver nitrate, to cauterize hyper grannulation. I returned this weed to see a different doctor and he wanted and x-ray. And he told me I could lose my toe. I am alone in the doctors office cryingand they are like its just a toe? Great its just a toe. They wanted to send me back to the original doctor and I said no. I was given a ten day supple of antibiotics but I have a bone infection due to the bacteria growing and seeping into my toe. Hence the original infection. I watch the Doctors TV show and they said after surgery is the doctor going to give you quality after care? I was mortified, it just figures I have medicaid and medicare as my insurance and I can tell you it is not quality care at all. I'm sorry Obama the system is still broken. Maybe you could contact the Doctors TV show and they will help you. I hope this helps. i should have looked at this before I had surgery. They warn of little things like nerve damage but they never tell you of the worst case senario situation where an infection can lead to all sorts of bad things. i don't want to scare you neddlesly but I am scared for myself. If I don't let my toe go I could lose a foot or even die. If I would have know this I would not have had surgery. I have been suffering from all kinds of foot problems. I am 50 and it is so hard when you don't have a car. I walk everywhere. Take care

They definitely do warn you about infection prior to an operation. What do you think are the risks of cutting open your body, and messing around in there? I'm very sorry that you are going through this, but it is a known risk of any surgery. If you have surgery, then you need to take some personal responsibility for wound care. If it begins to show signs of infection, then you need to see the doctor as soon as possible. If the doctor prescribes medication, and the wound either continues to get worse or does not improve within 3-5 days you need to go back to the doctor again. If necessary, then you need to go to an emergency room. Since this was written 5 years ago, I'm assuming that the situation has been resolved. I would have said to you though that while your situation is serious you will probably still be okay if you ensure that you receive proper treatment. IV antibiotics administered while being treated inpatient at a hospital is pretty much the last resort for treating infections, other than more powerful IV antibiotics under the same conditions, and since you have not reached that level yet I would assume that they feel your infection will heal. People need to take more responsibility for their own health. The doctors and other medical personnel can only do so much. If you don't report a symptom or a complication, then they can't treat it. If they don't see you, then they can't treat you. If you don't follow their instructions, then you can't be surprised when something goes wrong. Medical staff absolutely do make mistakes, but patients need to get involved in their own medical treatment. Be your own advocate! No one cares about you as much as you.

I had a hammer toe operation in Jan 2017 and the bandage was taken off after 2 weeks and I had infection so hospitalised twice had I.V. antibiotics but the infection appears to be coming back again after I finished 2 weeks of antibiotics orally. What can I do now? My foot is all red and painful. I don't want to see the consultant again as I have had 2 infections and feel I might annoy/upset her. help......

I just had hammer toe surgery on my left foot for all five toes on nov.9th, went back for toes to be redressed the dr. said my toe looked like it could be infected...Changed my antibiotic medicine wanted to take another look at my toes tomorrow,Nov. 16th.. Not having much pain & keeping my foot elevated with ice packs most of the day.. Has anyone out there had similar experience & can advise me what else I can do??
Al..

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Wao im going through that same thing and I'm so scared cause all this meds are going to destroy my kidney!!!!