I had an abortion 4 wks ago. They said that everything was fine. I had a little bleeding, but didn't have any more morning sickness and my breasts weren't swollen any more. The dr said that I was about 7 wks then. Today, I had my checkup. They did a transvaginal ultrasound and found a full, living fetus, that is now about 12 wks. The lab sent back results saying that the first one was 'correct' and said that there was tissue that equaled a fetus of about 7 wks. The nurse and dr said that I was pregnant with twins and that the first time, only took one and left the other. They want me to come back again. Does this sound 'half way' normal? I searched the internet and couldn't find any related material. I just want to hear that this has at least happened to one other person. HELP!!!

Honey, in ALL my years I have NEVER heard of anything like that. Other than "selective reduction". When you had an abortion, did they do an ultrasound on you at the same time? If they did, then they would have noticed another embyro.

Now IF there was twins and they were Fraternal, I guess that it could be possible, but thats a HUGE if!!!!! A transvaginal ultrasound is dead on, did they mention that EVERYTHING is intact with this baby? I hope so, because I am thinking that they took enough tissue - which would be very little to consitute a 7 weeks fetus!! What are you going to do? Was this done by a private clinic, in a hospital, in a doctors office etc> There are SO many unanswered questions right now, I don't think you should return to the people that did the 1st procedure. Because what I know about an abortion, they have to use an ultrasound to make sure everything is going to plan.

You need answers AND I think you need to look at ALL your options. I AM pro choice, but I feel that IF this was just 1 and something went amiss and it survived then it survived for a reason. I just find it so HARD to believe that when they use the suction, that ANOTHER sac remained intact.

Like I said hon, you need answers, before you can make a decision.

Good luck hon, and please keep me updated.

I am really sorry to hear that this happened to you because it sounds like such an unusual event. I hope that you are doing okay but it does sound like it is plausible. It is a rare event I think, but it can happen. I hope that you do go back in for your consultation and talk to them again about it and we'll be here to support you whatever you decide.

I had it done in a private clinic. I did research and it wasn't some hole in the wall office. I had an abdominal ultrasound at the first one. They put me at around 7wks. I had some cramping and bleeding when it was done. I lost all of the morning sickness. I've been taking birth control for a month. But my boyfriend did mention about my belly. It still looked like I was sorta bloated.
When I first found out that I was pregnant, it came back positive when I was only 2 wks along. That is one of the reasons why I would have thought it was twins because I know the HCG levels are higher with twins. I have one child already, with that pregnancy, I was almost 3 months along before I took a test and had any symptoms. At this point I'm a little numb so I don't know what to think or feel.

I am sure you are in shock! I AM and I'm not involved in this!! There is NO way they could have missed 2 embryos, the only way I can comprehend that it even occured is IF they were behind each other. Which sometimes happens - even to "Octomom!!!!" Your righ about the HCG levels being higher, thus the quick results.

Only yourself and your partner can decide what to do hon! Did they mention if the remaining fetus is healthy or anything like that? Also after I answered your last message, I thought "Why did they give you a vaginal ultrasound anyway"? that is usually used for pregnancy dates and better pictures.

IF they can tell you anything about the remaining one - if it is has been affected by the abortion etc. That would help you in your decision! What a terrible situation for you to be in. But I truly think you deserve more answers from the private clinic!

I suppose after all the shock, you guys haven't really had a moment to think clearly. There was obviously a reason why you wanted an abortion in the 1st place, has anything changed in that time? I suppose that is the way to think about it isn't it? If you ever need to talk or just explode >:( I'm on here regularly. Good luck and health hon!

They did a vaginal ultrasound because they didn't think I would be pregnant, and it gives the best picture. They did do an abdominal one to get another picture. I didn't want to look at the picture. I was in total shock. I know that I should have probably stayed and ask the million and one questions that I have now. They have re-scheduled one for Saturday. The nurse did say that it was a full fetus and not just 'parts'. I did ask if it was just 'parts' or even the chance of a new pregnancy. But she said that this is from the first pregnancy. I already have one child and my boyfriend also has one. We have always said that we didn't want any more kids. Then this came up and we decided to go through with an abortion. He has been totally supportive. As of right now, we are both in shock and didn't think this could even possibly happen.

Of course you didn't ask any questions!!! I bet you didn't even hear half of what they said!!!

I AM pro choice hon, but that been said, at 14/15 weeks, this could be a HUGE undertaking for you. The longer a pregnancy goes on, the more chances of problems happening. When you have a moment to yourself, write EVERYTHING down that you wanted to ask. And take that with you, and write down their answers - or bring your BF and he will remember too.

I really don't still get it why the ultrasound, did they think you were pregnant or having a problem? That is really weird. Anyway, that's the least of it right now. So write everything down OK, like HOW, When, Why, What if,What will etc.

I can't even begin to imagine your dilemma i just answered a lady who's husband hat a vasectomy 5 years ago and she just found out she is pregnant. So there's a lot of shock on this board today!!!! But honestly hon, in all the years of medical stuff staying in my head, I've NEVER heard of your situation. I am sending you out the BIGGEST and WARMEST hug! And please let me know what they say on Saturday OK? Good luck Sweetheart!

So today was the big day. I had a different doctor. I forgot most of my questions. I wrote some down but forgot them. I had to wake up and be out the door at 5 for an 2 1/2 hr drive. The doctor if that if you look really close and really examine the first ultrasound, the one from 4 wks, you can barely tell that there was twins. They were on top of each other. I was only 7 wks along so it wasn't too much to see. I came out of it alright this time. In a lil more pain from last time. But this would explain the reason why I barely spotted the last time. I survived and glad that it's all over with. I have a check up in 4 wks.

I feel so badly for you honey!!! It is so hard to even comprehend all of your feelings. I wish you nothing but health and all the best. It is true what the doctor says that it is very hard to see at that early stage, Especially if they are behind each other. My heart just breaks for you. But I'm glad that it is behind you, IF they offer you counselling I would take it if I were you. There has been a LOT going on for you, and it might not hit you till later on. All the best hon!

I will post after my check up. But I'm alright with it. I questioned my choice at the beginning. After I got it done I was fine. I really don't sit and think about it. The thought of raising twins scares me more then the thought of what I had done. There were protesters outside and told me abortion kills. I asked if they would have given me the money to raise twins. And then I told them standing next to a busy road also kills people, got in the car and drove away. Thank you for the support.

I just had this happen to me as well. I'm frantically searching the internet to make sure I'm not crazy. I have 3 little girls now, fraternal twins and a singleton. From complications with my c-sections I'm unable to carry a full term pregnancy now without bleeding to death. Now, twins do not run in either of our families so we were very surprised with the twins.

I took the abortion pill 2 weeks ago, it was very painful and I passed quiet a bit. I even asked the ultrasound tech if there was more then one baby and she said no way. I went in for the ultrasound today and sure enough, one baby no longer has a heart beat but there's one in there that does and is growing right on schedual. I have to go in for a surgical abortion first thing tomorrow...this is horrible.

Why are there no studies on how the abortion pill works on mulitples? I would have asked for a second opinion with my history had I been able to find a singe study.

Since it has been so long since your post, I'm sure you probably aren't even going to read this... but for my emotional health, I'm going to respond. I did notice that your post was on my son's bday, so that's the main reason for me to write this. It's been over a year now since my abortion(s), and I can honestly say that I do think about it at least once a week. My bf is now "fixed" so I don't have to worry about having to go through this ever again. I can say that I am as glad as you can be for doing what I did. Now I have an amazing job and my son just started preschool. I do get a little down every now and then when I stop and dwell on it. I get a little kick in the gut when I see babies or pregnant women, since I'll never experience that again. But I do know in my heart that it was for the best for everyone. I am very thankful for this website. I browse it every once in awhile to read about other's feelings, emotions, and experiences. I hope everything turned out ok in your situation. It did for mine... Yes, you do think about it, it's nothing that you will ever forget! But just don't dwell on it, it's in the past and you can't change the past. Everything happens for a reason.... Just live life one day at a time and don't worry about changing what you can't ever change!