My son is 13 months old and for the past few days he is experiencing constipation. I feel so sorry for him because I can not help him. I have tried a lot of things. Can you tell me what a possible cause to this is?

I advise you to take your son to his doctor, especially if he has been constipated for more than fey days. Constipation in children can be caused with the same thing like in adults: diet, fluid intake, illness or medication. The frequency of bowel movements of young babies varies a lot. Stools of breast-fed babies are usually yellow in appearance. However, those of bottle-fed babies are often thicker and greenish. Breast-fed babies are less likely to suffer from constipation than those who are fed on formula milk and the reason for this is that breast milk is more easily digestible. Constipation remedies should not be used at the young age. However, if there is an extreme case and if they are proscribed by the doctor they can be used. There are some things that can help your son. You can lay him on his back and move his legs in a cycling motion. This gently puts pressure on the intestine which can stimulate bowel movement. Massaging the baby's tummy can also help. I really hope that your baby will be better.