I am 28 and I had all my thyroid removed 2 weeks ago. My surgery lasted 2 hours and was in recovery for another 2 hours. I stayed overnight in the hospital and went home early the next morning. My throat was sore the first two days dure to the breathing tube. I was on pain meds for the first 10 days due to an achs in my neck and stiffness. I had to ice my neck for the first 10 days as well to control the healing. I was out at the store walking around normally within 5 days post surgery. Now at 2 weeks post operation, I am completely back to normal with no side effects. I hope to be released to exercise soon because I feel every lazy and I have the energy to do everything like normal.
Please do not be afraid of the Horror Stories...God is a healer and you do not live in Fear. Amen!

Thank you very much for posting a story like this! I think that it's really unfortunate when people share their terrible experiences, assuming that their experiences are normal for surgery. I think that experiences like yours are much more typical. This isn't to say that people shouldn't feel encouraged to post their experiences because that's what these boards are for! I think it's just good to have perspective and realize that millions of surgeries are performed for year and only a small fraction of those turn out badly. Are you back to work now?