I need advice from someone that was there, where I am right now. I had a face lifting one month ago and I am in my healing process. I had eyelids, cheek and chin done. But now I feel these little bumps on this area. They are hard to touch. Doctors never mention it this would happen in post surgery, so I am very worried because if this, besides all they are visible. I talked to doctor today on the phone and he says this happens sometimes and they will most certainly go away. He gave me no advice how to remove or make them smaller…

Hey there!
I know what you are going through… been there. These little bumps will most certainly go away...they did in my case after 4 or 5 months after surgery, at least they were not visible, they healed completely in a year. Maybe massaging will help you. But, be very gentle and try to massage upwards. Use neutral cream to make massage easier. Best wishes with your healing process!

I am having a face lift next Thursday and was wondering what I need to know about recovery time. My daughter's in third grade and is having a birthday party two days after my surgery. Do you think I will be able to attend...are the drains out by then ususally? What about the bandage? Any info would be helpful.

Legend
Hi T,

The recovery time depends on surgery performance and which parts of your face have been lifted. Generally, you'll need weeks to get rid of visible scars, swelling, and bruises that were evident immediately after the surgery. Patients that had a drainage tube inserted during the surgery will have it removed within two days following the surgery. Bandages used during the surgery will be moved from one to five days following the surgery. During that same time span, the majority of your stitches will also be removed. Considering its fragility, stitches or metal claims that are present in a patient's hairline will remain but only for a few days longer.

To accelerate the healing process the surgeon will provide you specific instructions like these below:

Keep your head elevated as a way to keep swelling down.
    Be gentle with your face and hair to avoid irritation to your skin.
    Try to avoid strenuous activity such as heavy housework and running for at least two weeks. Limit your physical exercises to walking and stretching during post-op.
    Avoid alcohol, steam baths, and saunas for several months.

But your post-op physical appearance will take the most time to adjust based on psychological basis. Usually by the third week the patients will enjoy their new look.

According to most surgeons, two days is too short time to get recovered, even from face lifting surgery.

Hope this will help you!

Pseud0

I am posting for the first time. I had a facelift and a rhinoplasty 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I am very depressed due to factors involving my facelift recovery. I was NEVER told of ANY of these effects, by the doctor, and so am shocked and frightened. The skin under my neck is extremely tight and uncomfortable, with some visble "pulling" on my lower cheeks. The side of my face from ears, all along the jaw is very hard, and ther is still numbness. I did have the staples in my hairline, which won't be removed until this coming Tues. I have a lot of pain all the time, and headaches constantly. I am losing some hair, which is extremely upsetting, as I can't spare any! I had absolutely no idea that I would have this pain, hardness of the skin, etc. My ears feel as if someone boxed them! I STILL DO NOT feel well enough to go out and do anything in public, except brief errands. My mouth still is not working quite as it did, and I cannot smile the same. I am so scared and upset. I am afraid I will NEVER heal, and that this pain, hardness, and tightness will NEVER go away! I wish I had someone to talk to. I am the widow of a suicide, and have been alone over 8 years. I met the love of my life and am getting married in May. I thought this was a dream come true! I thought I would look so beautiful on my wedding day! (My fiance is younger than I). Now, I feel so hopeless and scared. My nose is lovely---an unbelievable gift after living with a huge, un feminine nose all my life, but this facelift recovery has me completely panicked.

Hi, I too had a face lift about 3 1/2 weeks ago. The outher perimeter of my face, my ears and under my chin are still totally numb, however, I was told by my doctor that it takes 3 to 4 months for the nerves to re-connect. I have extreme tightness in my face and find it hard to smile like I used to. For a while I was feeling depressed, but they told me that that is very common as is the fright that goes along with it. The only thing you can do is give it time - - it is way too soon to judge. I still sleep on my back with my head elevated on an "airplane" u-shaped pillow. Improvement seems to be in spirts. You go a few days with no change, and then you wake up and look slightly better. I hate to hear you sound in dispair. Just give it time - - you skin with slacken slightly naturally. The body has amazing healing powers. Drink lots of water every day to stay hydrated and I think showering daily and washing your hair gently speeds the scalp healing. Glad to hear you love your nose. The rest will come in time! - - Best wishes!

I had my face lift on Nov , 2006 It has been 10 weeks. I had a neck lift, mid face lift, rhinoplast for internal reasons, lip agumentation, and laser
I am still numb on the ears and chin, and my scalp is still sore. I slept on my back for most of this time. This is difficult because my scalp feels like I'm sleeping on rocks and I'm a stomach sleeper. I just started sleeping on my stomach two nights ago. Yippee!

It is frustrating to still be numb and sore, but I wear make-up when I go out and I love my lips. I look pretty good but not necessarily pretty. (You do want to look like yourself and if you weren't a beauty before, you wont be a beauty now unless you had a lot of changes made.)

That's okay because, except for golf, I'm back to all of my activities and this helps me forget about my numbness and tenderness. I've had my ups and downs and I still don't love my profile but somehow I feel better about my looks.

I wish all of you who aren't as far along as me, the very best and know that mentally things will get better.

I want to know how long it took some who are farther along in their healing than me, exactly how long before you don't feel like you have earmuffs and your scalp doesn't hurt.

I'm at the end of week two and am concerned to hear about the effects being so long lasting...I was not told that the process would take so long in terms of appearance, discomfort...and this hardness thing...yikes. I feel like I'm being choked on my upper neck and have had to talk myself through this feeling on numerous occasions. The neck is full of proprioceptors...the nerves that tell your body where you are in space. I have had quite a bit of disorientation and dizziness.

My doc recommends that after the 4th day post surgery, absolutely no vitamin C. This will cause too much scarring. That means no citris, leafy greens...any food with C in it. He also recommends Bromalain--available in any health food store to aid in the healing without scarring process. He gets amazing results...I'm hoping that I'm not the exception.

One side of my face in front of my ear is much more swollen and well...rather grotesque. The other side seems like it is healing normally...swollen, but less so as the days go by. the left side doesn't seem to be progressing. Hmmm...

I also had terrible brusing under my eyes...it even surprised he doctor's staff when I went in to have my stiches removed. One note: my day 5-8 were the worst. Days immediately after surgery were great...really didn't need any help....then I seemed to go down for the count. It may have been going off of the steroids the doctor's staff thought. Because the swelling got much worse after that.

Anyway, I'm going to have to keep the faith I know...I just wasn't prepared for it to get worse before it gets better. I would still do it again...even at this stage. BTW, there is NO WAY I would be able to go back to work at week 2. I look awful, 2 black eyes and still very, very tired for some reason. (and I was in decent shape before surgery)

It is very comforting to me to see that others have had the same experiences as me. I had a brow and face lift. I thought the tightness andhardness in my jaw and chin would go away after only 2 weeks. The most important lesson that I learned is that it takes much longer than you think. I always tend to over simplify. I never expected my jaw to feel frozen and not be able to smile like I always have. My lower teeth have dropped out of sight for a while and it is really bugging me! I can't enunciate and communicate the same. I think the stiffness has even affected my speech in that I tense up trying so hard to sound normal when I speak. How long will it take for my jaw and lower chin area to soften? Also, every once in a while, my eyes will tear like crazy. My nose is doing the same. It is just clear- like tears--does not seem infected. Is this happening to anyone else. Did anyone else practically shed their scalp all at once, too? Boy, that was weird. All kinds of strange little odd things happening in this recovery that I certainly did not expect!

Hi I had a mid facelift a neck tuck and forehead lift... of course everything is going to be tight for a while.. your skin has been stretched and cut and the muscles have been tightend and pulled upward. Didn't you reserch this before you got the lift? the nerves are cut and will take up to a year or more before you will feel normal again.. I have and excellent doctor and my facelift that i got october 17th 2006 5 months ago looks perfect I am 50 and now I look 30! my scars are almost gone and my hair covers what ever there is left. My head is very itchy and drives me crazy but it is well worth it to look 20 years younger. Stop complaining about the pain it is just part of it.. I hope you actually saw other people that had the proceedure done before you went to this doctor. I looked better 2 months after the surgery ... by better I mean younger I had good skin to start no sun damage.

Happy

I am getting a facelift this Thursday and of course I am scared. After reading some of these replies, I am more nervous. You are right that doctors somehow discount the amount of the healing time & process. I visited several doctors who told me to book a lunch the next day and the other two more or less promise that I will be able to resume everything in 2 weeks. I am a real estate agent and this is the busiest time of the year! I am also healthy and my skin is good, just a crepey neck and some sagging. Anyone out there able to jump back into work in 2 weeks and feel good???? o.O

okay i feel better reading some of these , my mini facelift was 2 months ago and still some lumpiness on one side and slight swelling on the other. i also was not told it would take this long

The previous post was obviously written by a self absorbed incompassionate know it all. I am certaily glad you had a good outcome but perhaps you should have scheduled an attitude lift as well.

To the previous posters, my fiance is 4 weeks po and has had a lot of swelling off and on from weeks 2-4. We flew back at week 2 for an emergency visit and Dr. said all is well much to our relief. Having had many plastic surgeries myself I understand the emotional rollercoaster even when things go smoothy but facelifts seem to be more complex psychologically.

To the nasty poster previous, we had the most renouned plastic surgeon in the world who holds the only endowed chair in plastic surgery, so we did our research.

To the nasty poster previous, we had one of the most renouned plastic surgeons in the world who holds the only endowed chair in plastic surgery, so we did our research.

i had a mini facelift 2 months ago and still have some slight swelling on one side and some lumpiness on the other, which my doctor assures me is normal but i was not told either that it would take this long to completely heal