I am 33 years old and just gave birth Nov. 3, 2006. Since the birth (and possibly during the pregnancy because everything seems to hurt those last few weeks). I have been experiencing extreme pain in the right side my neck. That's 10 months of it, thus far. Since a doctor could not find the cause of the pain with the exception as "stress related" he sent me for an MRI. Thank GOD for that... thats when they discovered the mass in my thyroid, also found on the right side. I just had blood work, an autrosound (to check the other side for a mass as well, been to a nose, throat and ear specialist, and a neurosurgeon - PCP thought there may be a pinched nerve caused by the mass - though neurosurgeon said that was not the case. Waiting on all other tests results) I do believe the pain to be from the mass. I am experiencing extreme fatigue (I also work 12 hour days 6PM-6AM in a factory, so i am sure that does not help as well), and I also experience a huge amount of stiffness in my neck. However I am having trouble with the pain and sfiffness issues it is constant and relentless. I feel as if the doctors do not believe me when i describe the severity. I've been proscribed pain killers (750mg of Vicodin, and each time I need a re-fill they lessen the dosage I am now currenty on 500mgs - neither barely takes the edge off, i've also been prescribed anti-inflammatories, and muscle ralaxers - they did not work at all, I've gone to PT both on land and in a pool - not helpful either. I know it's not just in my head... My pain that is. I'm hoping to be granted a note for short term disability from work. My job requires heavy lifting anywhere between 33-60lbs within every 3-7min. of time.

The ear, nose, and throat specialist said that it (the mass will be removed) sometime within the next month to be checked for cancer. I will be off of work for 2 wks.

What i'm getting at is ... is this normal (to have pain like this)? Is it linked to the mass in the thyroid? I talked to a friend at work who shared with me that his wife had all the same symptons as i am experiencing.

I am not sure which way to go next. Is there anyone who can relate to the symptoms i am and have been experiencing? Any suggestions on what I could or should do next? I would be so grateful for some input.

i am experiencing the same exact thing.i got it in pregnancy and it never went away and the pain is on the right lower side of my thyroid.
went to a ent and had mri with contrast and ultrasound done he told me i had a firm 3 cm mass i am having surgery the 28th and the pathologist will biopsy it for cancer.im sooo scared my baby is now 3 months its my forth child,i just turned 35,and still have that throbbing pain with a couch and its radiating to my chest.did u find out what it was?keep me posted.i thought this was just happening to me.im in the dumps about this. :-(
thanx
melissa

Hi Julie,

Whatever you do, please do NOT let a general surgeon perform the operation. I would highly recommend that you have an ENT perform the surgery. Try to find an ENT who has performed a lot of Thyroidectomy's. Ask him/her how many they do on a yearly basis (average). Also, request that whoever performs the surgery use a Nerve Monitor; in fact, don't request, insist, it is your right. This way they can monitor the RLN (Recurrent laryngeal nerve). The monitor will help ensure that they do not damage that nerve. Damage to that nerve could have catastrophic consequences.

During my Thyroidectomy, the surgeon damaged my RLN and it had a dramatic impact on my life. Just find my thread and you can read about my story.

Not trying to scare you, just trying to help.

Good Luck.

I think that this is very good advice although I do have to ask--can you tell me a bit of your story? I wasn't able to find your thread so I'd like to know a little more about what happened. I hope you don't mind. Thanks!

Hi Julie,
I'm going through the same thing right now and yes the stiffness in my neck is a pain to say the least. I hope everything turned out ok with you. I have a mass in my thyroid and am going to the endocarologost next week. I'm hoping that the being stiff and always tired has something to do with my mass and will go away if removed...