Hello all! I've just been trying to figure this out, and would appreciate it if anyone could tell me whats wrong---9 months ago I had 2 benign ovarian cyst taken out, and I got my periods 3 months later, but my menstrual flow was heavier and lasted for a week or more. My normal menstrual flow would be 4-5 days. Is this normal after surgery to have a longer lasting period? Desiree

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

just curious...

Did it take 3 months for you to get your first period??

I just had ovarion surgery about 3 weeks ago. I haven't had my cycle yet, and I am wondering when it is going to happen.

I had my left ovary removed because of cyst i got my period 2 days after.the surgary, i was due for it but then i got another one10 days later i see a nurse every day because of some complacations but they say your body takes time to heal and recovery, so me having 2 periods was okay and pobably not having one for a bit is okay i wouldnt worry if i only missed one period but any longer than two i would see a doctor

i had my left ovary removed when i was 11. it took until i was almost 15 to begin menstruation and my breasts never grew (for comparison all women in my family had their periods before age 13 and had at least C cup breasts.). i'm 21 now and i'm flat as a board and get irregular periods (it's terrible having to wonder each month if it's simply late or if you're pregnant) and have hormonal imbalances. but i guess it impacts everybody a bit differently.

I have had ovarian cyst for a year and a half. It was just around that time that I started to smell my body odor change. Is it possible that having an ovarian cyst could do that? Has anyone else had this problem?

I had ovarian surgery (a cyst on the inside of it burst) about 10 yrs ago. My cycle was incredibly messed up afterwards and it seemed like I always had pms. The doc told me to give my body 6 months to regulate itself, but when it didn't they put me on birth control pills. They helped a ton and I only had to take them for 3 months and my body was back to normal. I don't recall any issues with body odor, but I really wouldn't be surprised.

In 2001 I had my left ovary removed, and I just had an ovarian cyst removed from the inside of my right ovary October of 2008. I am hoping to get pregnant soon, but have yet to have started my menstrual cycle (a month and a half later). All your information has helped me know that this could be normal, but I was still wondering has anyone had a pregnancy after this type of surgery? Was it easy or did you have struggles getting pregnant?

Deshawna- I also had my left ovary removed in 2001.. got pregnant in 2003 (miscarried) and got pregnant again in 2005 and had a healthy baby. I also had a cyst removed from the inside of my right ovary almost 2 weeks ago. It sounds like we are pretty much in the same boat! I did, however start my period on time 9 days after my surgery but it is extremely heavy. Did you eventually get yours? Good luck to you and let me know how it goes!

I just had a large ovarian cyst and a large fibroid removed laproscopically 2 weeks ago. I got my period 2 days before the surgery and just got it again yesterday, 2 weeks later. At first I thought it was post-surgery bleeding, but that ended last week.

From reading these posts it looks like it's normal to have weird/irregular periods following surgery...? Thanks.

8-| hai
even i did removed my cyst from right ovary and fibroid fro m the uterus.and even im wondering about my post sorgery health and its nice to know and share ur e

I to also had a cyst and fallopian tube removed and i started my period the day of the surgery which was 3 weeks ago and now I am starting my period again.. So i am guessing it is normal.

Hi I'm 24 and I had a large ovarian cyst (it was the size of a first trimester fetus) and my left ovary removed within the past two weeks (polycystic). I also have endometriosis on my right ovary. Does anyone know if this will have any bearing on my ability to have children or if I should expect an irregular period?

I had my left ovary and tube removed 7 months ago (Jan 2010) due to a large cyst and torsioned ovary. I was in a lot of pain and had emergency surgery. I have been off birth control pills ever since and have been trying to get pregnant for the past 4 months. My first cycle after the surgery was on time but after that my cycles have started getting pretty irregular, currently 3 weeks late. By reading everyone's responses it seems i'm not the only one to have irregular periods after this kind of surgery. Does anyone know if this is temporary and whether periods will become regular again or does it mean i'll always have irregular periods because of having one ovary. My doctor is suspecting I have PCOS, but she is running more tests and will confirm next week. Could the doctor be mistaking a temporary hormonal imbalance for PCOS? Any information based on other experiences will be really appreciated.

I too had my right ovary removed. My first cycle was normal but now my second cycle is late (1 week). I am very normal when it comes to having my periods. So this is normal??

when we can start sex after ovarian cyst surgery.. i had surgery before a month and now i am working as normal but not sure can start regular sex with my partner. can someone have any correct info for this?