I have a large bunion on my right foot...I have been contimplating surgery and am wondering which doc is better...orthopedic surgen or a DPM?? please help.

i just had bunion surgery about three weeks ago - and I had an orthopedic surgeon do the surgery.....so far, it has not been that bad --- I'm glad I had it done and I am planning to have the other foot done in June....The worse part is the first three days after surgery

where did u find your orthopedic doctor at and is he good it sound like he did some good results on u. also the first 3 days were painful after that its ok whast kind of painkiller do they give u

I'm writing this 3 days after my second bunion surgery; hopefully my experience will spare another of the time, expense and pain I underwent. My first bunionectomy was done by a top-flight orthopedic surgeon in Newport Beach, CA (a UCLA graduate). He performed what is known as, the McBride soft-tissue reconstruction to correct a bunion on my left foot. I chose an orthopedist over a podiatrist thinking the former to be superior in education, experience and ability. I thought I was getting the best possible care at the time, although there was much pain (the first few days were the worst) and I used crutches for weeks following the surgery. In addition, I underwent extensive physical therapy. Although the preliminary evaluation after my surgery looked encouraging, within 1-2 years, my bunion came back. This time around I choose the podiatrist I should have picked in the first place. He informed me that I needed a chevron osteotomy (cutting of the bone and fixation with a screw), a procedure I should have had originally instead of the soft tissue reconstruction chosen by the orthopedist. I had the chevron osteotomy performed on Thursday, it's now Sunday (3 days later) and the contrast between my 2 surgeries is already enormous. The pain is minimal, and I didn't need the Vicodin prescribed (Advil is sufficient) whereas the first time around I took as much Vicodin as possible to aleviate the excrutiating pain. Furthermore, I can already walk on this foot remarkably well so that my mobility is already better now at 3 days than it was 3 weeks after the first operation. Although it's still too soon to draw long-term conclusions, I'm nothing but optimistic at this point. So my advice is to pick a good podiatrist and run, don't walk, from any othopedist who recommends a McBride procedure for anything more than the mildest bunion. Remember, podiatrists work on nothing but feet; this is their specialty and I believe them to be hands-down (or should I say feet-down?) the best. Even though I learned this the hard way, I hope someone else facing my situation may benefit from this hard-learned lesson.

One month ago I had bunion surgery (with the screws) as well as staypegs (to help correct flat feet) on both of my feet. I went to a podiatrist, but I made sure to do my research on him first. I was able to walk on both feet the first day of surgery, not that I wanted to. The first day I felt absolutely no pain, then the second and third day I felt some, but not bad at all. The range of motion excercises to promote joint flexibility hurts the most, but is not bad enough for pain medication. I am back in shoes, starting to walk normal again. It will still be a few months until I am back to normal activities, such as running. Hope this helps a bit.

After a month you were doing pretty well, I was so glad to hear that since I'm planning to have a bunion surgery soon. Can you tell us how did you continue to recover aftre that last post?

As a physical therapist, I've seen post-op patients from both orthopedists and DPMs. I also wondered what the difference would be between the two.

Apparently, DPMs are only able to work on feet. Meaning, anything distal to the ankle. While that might be fine for most people, that means if there is anything wrong with your distal leg or ankle, you will likely need to see an orthopedist. Because orthopedists have that all-encompassing medical degree, it increases their scope of practice, which means they can take care of problems not completely related to your feet.

My perspective: I've seen good work done by both. If you do decide to go to an orthopedist, make sure it is someone who specializes in foot/ankle, not a "jack of all trades" orthopod. If you can't find one, I'd just as soon find a DPM.

can anyone recommend a podiatric surgeon for bunionectomy/hammer toe surgery
on long island, ny??

I've searched and read around a bit, i highly recommend u to contact with Orthopedic Specialists of Seattle, I'll be trying these guys in the very near future.

i had a consultation at a n orthopedists office in manhattan, also a podiatrist closer to my home in long island.  did extensive research on the orthopedist and the podiatrist only because of many horror stories i read on the internet from bunion surgery. had the podiatrist do it figured he did it every day. he explained it all to me in detail actually the most informative doctors visit ive ever !! had in my life. all the risks, every thing i would expect after surgery in detail! showed me a presentation he gives to other doctors when he lectures on surgery. he teaches at a podiatry school somewhere here in new york.
anyway surgery done , one foot, then went back for another foot. all done walking in my normal shoes. happy no complaints, i thinki m his biggest fan, my sister already had surgery by him and a coworker too. all happy, i figured i post on here cause simply  im happy, and hes a nice guy. ill post his name not sure if thats allowed david gitlin, DPM you cacn google him to find his info. he has a 

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed ***

lori w.

THANK YOU LORI. I've been looking for someone to redo my bunion surgery. I had it done a year ago out in stony brook. I've. Been to orthopedists podiatrists and even a plastic surgeon who specialized in reconstructive surgery. None wanted to do my surgery all said it was too risky, the last foot and ankle orthopedist I went to told me I would have to go down to Maryland and maybe it would be done there. My diagnosis was nonunion of the bones with bone infection and many surgeries later. I did my research got to this site found your last post. Googled David Gitlin, he is a podiatrist who only does difficult cases it looks like on his website. Anyway I just had surgery I'm two weeks out doing great. Can't be happier I'll post again as how I'm doing. thanks to your website as well for supporting this blog!

Would you please give me the name of your surgeon. I had bunion
surgery done one year ago, and I am still feeling a lot of pain.
Thank you,
Ellen

Dr. Alec Hochstein is in Great Neck he is the Best

laI had Bunion Surgery August 15 ,2012 and a Orthopedic doctor preformed this surgery.I am now scheduling a second go round with a DPM so goes to show you just dont Know

I have 2 bunion in my left & right foot, they both killing me. I am still searching a good doctor to do surgery my bunion.
I leave in Slidell, Louisiana.
Would you mind give me the name of the doctor done your surgery or you can recommend the best doctor in Louisiana
Thanks a bunch for the info