I had bunion surgery 8 weeks ago. Bunion was removed, a piece of bone was removed anda screw inserted. Now the bunion is gone but my big toe does not touch the ground and I have a feeling of a lump on the ball of my foot between the big toe and next toe. This situation is effecting my gate. Is this temporary?

I had a similar experience with my first bunionectomy last year. (I just had the other foot done 2 weeks ago.) This type of swelling is apparently normal and it does take a long time to subside. However, it did eventually go away, and I liked the end results enough to do the other foot!

One thing i did learn is that you have to take the rehab very slowly, especially walking. I was lucky to have an excellent physical therapist who spelled out for me exactly what I could and could not do, week by week, till I was good as new. Ice is your best friend! Use it every night.

The hospital literature in Scotland claimed that patients could choose their anesthetic. In fact I was offered the 'Magician's Choice' by the doctor who described the local block in terms that were so unattractive that being knocked out for the bunion operation seemed the only sensible choice. I was suspicious and ( because I hate being knocked out for operations) subsequently went to England for the operation where a local block was offered. I was warned that the injections and the electric probes would be uncomfortable (doctor's code for agony) and that I might find the whole process very stressful.

In fact ( with only minimal sedation) I felt no pain whatsoever. Don't assume that I am in some odd way insensitive to pain. I am in fact the opposite and in anticipation of screaming out like a Big Girl's Blouse I was listening throughout the operation to Muddy Water's song I'M A MAN.

In the event I didn't need his musical support.

I had bunion surgery 3 weeks ago. Some bone was removed and surgical screw has been put in. I do not feel extreme pain and did not need painkillers for long. I just felt a huge swollen foot, and I walk putting weight on my heel even when I wear the surgical shoe. So far, I feel like recovery is going well. I have gone back to icing because I want the swelling to go down. I stubbed it a couple of times and took a ten hour international flight which may have induced swelling. Pray for me because I am a dancer and need to be back in my normal shoes in 8 months!

i am 17 and had bunion surgery 8 weeks, they broke the metatarsal in two places, rotated it removed some bone and used 3 screws. i am already back into normal shoes and have very little problems walking and doing everyday things. a few weeks after the surgery while i was still in bandages i was worried as when i put weight on my foot the big toe didnt touch the ground - this problem has completely gone now, i think it was simply due to swelling and the bandages. Also the recovery time is different for each person, for example i know someone who was on crutches for 6 weeks after the surgery, but for me 6 weeks later i was just getting back into normal footwear and starting walk places again. At 8 weeks i can even run up the stairs and gently kick a soccer ball. this just shows that everyone is different!

Hello there,

I'm 29 year old woman, very active and play loads of sport (rugby, running, gym regular). I took the decision to have this surgery as being flat footed and doing so much sport had exacerbated my bunions and it was increasingly painful to wear shoes, be on my feet all day for work, etc.

I had my surgery 6 weeks ago. I had bunions removed from both feet at the same time and a scr3w in each big toe, I also had a hammer-toe corrected on my middle toe on one foot - the knuckle bit was removed and the remaining 2 bones were fused and I had a pin in there for 6 weeks.

I found the pain after the surgery was quite bad but this went away quite quickly and I stopped taking any painkillers after 1 week - I was also fed up of painkillers hurting my tummy!

I had my stitches removed after 2 weeks and was delighted that they were dissolvable stitches mainly! Phew! Only 9 to pull out!
I then had 4 more weeks of a pin in my toe and that was finally removed today. I have to say I was dreading it... after reading some posts on here it made me worry. However, it really didn't hurt much at all - and I am a massive wimp. I didn't look but it only took a minute. They do use huge great pliers but you really can't feel anything just a bit of a sting afterwards. It did bleed a fair bit though and is quite sore now. But hooray at least it's out my toe! I was disappointed they wouldn't let me keep the pin, it is impressive and about 2 inches long!

I didn't have much problem with swelling. I was good and kept my feet up as much as possible. The foot without the pin in - just normal bunion surgery - healed very quickly and I was able to wear a loose trainer after 3 weeks. So if I had just had that done on both feet I would of been a lot more active sooner.

My toes are still a bit raised off the floor. This is because when they pin your toe they pull it upwards on purpose so it doesn't catch on the ground whilst it is in there. This is temporary. I can already pull my toes down without much bother so this will correct itself. Also, your toes do look very wide apart between the bigtoe and 2nd toe... again these will pull across quite quickly so don't panic!

Just be patient.... keep your feet up.. drink lots of water.. get some good books and lots of chocolates and let yourself recover

A hot tip for anyone reading this about to go through the same... if you have had hammertoe surgery and you have stitches on the 'knuckle' of your toe then cut a piece out of your surgical sandal to stop it disrupting the wound as it heals. I also cut the toes off lots of big warm walking socks so I could still keep my foot warm even though my toes were sticking out!

I'm not sure how long it will take me to get back in the gym.. I've had different answers from different doctors.. 1 said 3 months from surgery, but I was told today another 6 months. But I am pushing to be referred for physio and I am sure I will be back running in another couple of months and hope to be able to start the new rugby season in Sept!

I'll keep you posted!

did any of you women have this operation in Scotland?

I am about to have a bunion surgery for both my feet at one time within a month from today.  Would like to receive feedback from anyone who has done both feet at the same time.  I am doing the surgery in Auckland.  Very nervous and it is giving me sleepless nights just thinking of the surgery. 

i have exactly the same problem too is there any way you could help me.

how do you feel now are you getting better, have you done anything? please answer me

hello dear

would you share your experience because i have the same problem too.

I don't understand why you all have such an easy time with this. everyone in California that I talked to said they would never ever do the other foot nor will I ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever this s*** hurts worst pain of my entire life and I have a very high tolerance for pain 120 Norco's in 2 weeks. I had an eptopic pregnancy and this by far is so much more painful and constant can't even sleep more than 45 minutes at a time before the pain breaks through . For anyone who has a busy lifestyle our kids to take care of this is not a surgery for you I recommend either getting this done as a child or don't do it at all

I am also in Auckland and thinking of bilateral bunion surgery for the pain. Who was your surgeon and how did it go?