hello . . . i am 70 years old and considering bunion/hammer toe surgery on my right foot. the condition is not particularly painful and i am able to wear tennis shoes and shoes with a wide footbed. i stand on my feet at work and can walk for exercise. however, my right foot is considerably wider than my left foot.

i had a consultation with a local, well-respected podiatrist. the x-rays revealed a lot of arthritis in the joints of my great and second toes. he would remove the bunion and the joints from my great and second toes, and straighten them. after he was done, they would be straight but would not bend. he described the acute recovery period as 6 weeks after which i could wear tennis shoes. i understand that i would be at home recuperating during that time. i have short-term disability coverage.

i am wondering whether or not to have this surgery at my age and would be interested to hear from any of you who have done so.

At your age it may not be the best but of its that painful take it into consideration

Did your doctor say that he/she could get rid of the arthritis as part of the bunyon surgery? I am in a very similar boat and need to decide very soon if I will have the surgery or not.

hello . . . no, he could not get rid of the arthritis so his answer was to remover the arthritic joint. i am now trying to see what an orthopedic surgeon might do. the podiatrist said i would have a scar on the top of my foot and one of the things i wanted from this surgery was a nicer looking foot! maybe an orthopedic surgeon does this differently. let me know what you find out and i will do the same. have a good day.

Hello I just turned 74 but feel and look younger. I work part time and standing most of the time. I have been thinking of having both bunions removed and 3 hammer toes on both feet fixed. Feet are not that sore its just very difficult to buy nice shoes without paying nearly $300 for good fitting wide shoes, which I can't afford. So, did you have the surgery if so how was it, I have been reading various comments on the sites and as yet haven't read anyone who recovered within the 6 week time frame I was told, and all seem to have taken much longer to recover. what do you and others suggest, should I just put up with ugly bunions? as will be on my own most of the time after surgery.
Elaine

I am 69 years old and had surgery 4 weeks ago for a severe bunion with cross over second toe on my left foot. My foot is still very swollen and uncomfortable. I was told it was safe to bear weight on my heel shortly after the surgery, but it is very painful. I have a knee caddy which helps. My advice to you is to only have the surgery as a last resort and do NOT let the surgeon fuse your toe joint! Also, choose a surgeon with at least 20 years experience. As far as the difference between choosing a podiatrist or an orthopedic foot surgeon, go with the one with the most experience and one whom you trust.