I had bunion surgery about 5 months ago. I'm 16 years old and have severe bunions on both feet. I play sports and am constantly running around and going through a lot of shifting and moving. before the surgery the pain was unbearable and felt like I had two broken toes. I went to the doctor after a few years to when the pain was just too much and he told me I needed surgery. I chose to do one foot at a time because I wouldn't be able to walk on it for about 6 weeks so I chose the one that hurt more. I had nerves being pulled on the side by the bunion and my toe was shifted to the side. Now 5 months after I am in the same about of pain as before and then some. My big toe is not only still numb( which the doctor told me was apart of the normal healing process) but the big toe also does not touch the ground. The pain is so bad when I am playing basketball that I need to stop. It's the bottom of my foot under the big toe and around where the bunion was removed that hurts it feels like pins and needles and like I'm walking on rocks. It's very tender on the area, should I be worried/get this checked out? Or should I just deal with it?

Hello, shine_bright0513.  I would think after 5 months there would be some improvement with your foot.  You should go back to the doctor and have it looked at.  The muscles in your foot must be shortening where they are causing your toe to pull back and not touch the ground.  It also sounds like some nerves that are affected if you are feeling pins and needles along with pain.  You might need to wear a special shoe or having physical therapy.  All and all, you need to go back to your doctor to get it reevaluated.  Good luck!

Has anyone else had this problem with having bunion surgery?  What did the doctor do for it? 

I have special inserts but those don't seem to help. I will go back to the doctor to get it looked at. Thank you!

First, depending upon what you had done, if the bone was cut you probably should not be playing basketball until after 6 months. Basketball puts a lot of stress on the foot and your bone is still healing. Second, you may want a second opinion. It should not be numb. Both of mine were done two weeks and 5 days ago and they are not numb. I am still not walking on them without the boots, and only for 10-15 minutes then elevating. However I had bunion surgery (realignment not just shaved bone) on the big toes and a toe shortening on right foot's second toe.

I hope all goes well at the doctor! Let us know how it turns out :)

I'm so sorry it took me so long to reply! It turns out the ligament connecting underneath my foot is inflamed and I either had to get a cortisone shot, or buy $1,000 inserts. I did neither because I am about to have my second foot worked on on the 28th of February and then I will see how that goes to see which one I will choose. I've learned to deal with the pain by now and am much better! It's all about mind over matter:)

I have the same problem. Did you find fix?