I really could use some help finding a doctor that has experience with Hyperkinetic Gallbladders in Bucks County PA or anywhere near Philadelphia. For the past four months I’ve been having digestive issues that seem to point to a possible issue with my gallbladder, I also have strong family history of gallbladder problem with both my fathers parents having it out. I’ve been through numerous tests and scans the only tests that came back abnormal (at least according to my own research) was the HIDA scan with a 96% ejection fraction rate and after the test I felt terrible. My GI doctor said he hasn’t seen an ejection fraction that high but he though it was normal, he said the higher the better.  I also had an ultrasound of the gallbladder that showed a couple of small what the doctor described as polyps or lesions. If anyone can point me in the right direction I’d be very grateful.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,
I have exactly  the same problem (96%) and live in the same area, lower Bucks, PA. Have you found any one yet?
I just had the test and haven't talked to the GI doctor yet, am really hoping he'll recognize this and send me to a surgeon.
If he does, I'll let you know.....good luck
Mary

Mary- I also have simalar problem- (95% ejection rate) and 2 small polyps on gallbladder- dr said rate was normal- but when they did hida scan with cck I did not feel well for over an hour- did you have surgery? If so how do you feel now? thanks- Chris

Hi Chris, I had high ejection fraction and suffered for ten years. I kept saying it was my gallbladder but no one believed me. I was even sent to a supposed specialist in San Francisco for EUS.

Sludge was found but he said that was normal and that I needed to come home and take an antidepressant.

What a crock of c**p!

I went to Urgent Care two days later and doc there said sludge is not normal and said I should have gallbladder out.

Of course I was terrified, had read all the horror stories.

Had my gallbladder out 09/06/2012 and I would do it over again.

Surgeon was shocked by what he found. My gallbladder was literally adhesed to my liver and upper intestines. Had major adhesions.

Final diagnoses: Chronic cholecystitis with cholesteral polyps.

Every test prior to the surgery and I mean every test, came back normal.

I had two hida scans, 4 ultrasounds, 3 mris, 4 ct scans, bloodwork, etc.

All normal.

You are your own advocate and you know your body.

Keep pushing for answers. I am a classic example that diagnostic testing dont mean a darn thing.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I am doing much better, I can now eat and suffer no side effects of gallbladder removal.

Also I never had what I read is "classic gallbladder attack" symptoms.

I had wierd middle to right back pain and right rib pain. I would get spasms in the gallbladder area like a baby kicking. I never threw up. I was queasy alot but mainly the pain like my back and ribs hurt and extreme fatigue.

Hope this helps.

Angel

Either ask your GI to refer you to someone for a second opinion or if you don't want to involve him, you can contact any medical college, hospital or your personal physician. You're suppose to feel terrible after the test and you should have diarrhea. That's normal but they forgot to tell me. You may want the opinion of a surgeon instead of a GI.

Hi Mike, your problem sounds a lot like mine, I see you wrote this a few months ago, so hopefully you found some help by now. I also had an ultrasound that had polyps. My doctor called them cholesterol polyps. Mine were small. He said they could turn cancerous if they become larger. My ejection rate on hida scan was 95%. I had very bad indigestion. A couple times, woke during the night with stuff coming up my throat. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I went to the Digestive Center at Presby Hospital and they were very good in understanding the high ejection rate. They say that over 75% is not normal and is as bad as having a low ejection rate. I was undecided, so I waited 6 months and started feeling worse & decided to have it out last week. Just wanted to let you know, that now I am feeling wonderful & that was definitely my problem. Hope this helps. If you have any questions, just post them or email me, & I'll answer as best as I can. Good luck to you. Gloria

Hi Gloria, Thank you so much for responding to my post, I haven’t been able to find any help with this problem. I’ve really put heavy restrictions on my diet eliminating as much fatty food as possible and limiting the size of my meals, it’s has helped to some extent. I would really like to find a permanent solution to this issue but I’ve just kind of given up, coming to terms that I’ll just have to deal with getting violently ill from time to time along with the various other day to day problems. The mounting expense of all the tests I’ve been through which didn’t give me any answers and the doctors telling me they didn’t know what to do and that there is now such thing as an overactive gallbladder pretty has left me with little faith of getting back to normal. Your message did give me hope that if I can find the right doctor, I’ll at least get taken seriously. If you don’t mind could you send me the name and phone number of the doctor that treated you, hopefully I can network with them to find someone in the Philadelphia area. Thank you in advance. Mike

Hi Gloria, I have been suffering from chronic nausea and the similar symptoms of a "gallbladder attack" when deviating from a toast/plain pasta diet. Also, I get a feeling like a rock is in my esphogus after eating certain foods. My ultraosund showed sludge and my HIDA scan ejection fraction rate was 86%. I know that many people who post here have suffered/are suffering similiar issues but I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit more about how you are feeling now. My GI is convinced that a low number is bad and a high number is good so I was wondering if it was worth using the "hyperactive" term and seeing another doctor. This has been going on for a little over three months now and I would love to pin point the reason and take care of it. All of my other tests have come back normal except for my gastric emptying scan which showed mild delayed digestion; not to be ignored but it was not severe. I would truly appreciate your feedback! Thanks!

Hi Mike, I apologize for not checking this board sooner. If you go to your search engine & type in UPMC, Digestive Center, Pittsburgh, it will take you there. Dr. Watson did my surgery. Dr. Schwartz is my gastro doctor. It has been 2 1/2 months since my surgery and everything is fine. I feel like I got my life back. I can eat mostly everything. I was so nervous about getting my gb removed, but now I'm glad I did. I also got my energy back and feel like doing things again! Hope this helps, I'll check this board more often in case you have any more questions. I feel so bad about not getting back to you. I am so sorry. Take care... Gloria

Hi, I had real bad nausea after eating. A couple times during the night, I had this horrible tasting bitter stuff come up my throat. My throat felt raw for about 3 days afterwards. All that I could eat was toast & applesauce. I had the HIDA scan & it came back at 95%. Most doctors think the high ejection rate is normal. But if you research it online, there are many who feels that high is as bad as the low ejection rate. I had my gb removed on Dec. 21st, and I feel wonderful now. My tiredness is gone and I feel like a new person. I can eat almost anything. I was really afraid to have it removed, because I wasn't 100% sure that was my problem. It was strange because as soon as I woke from the surgery, I felt better. I never expected to feel good so quickly. I was sore from the incisions for a few days, but my nausea was gone.....it was like a miracle to me. I hope this helps. I'll check back often to see if you have any more questions. I'll try to answer as best as I can. Take care, gloria

Wow Angelday! Your attack symptoms are exactly like mine. I finally found a gastro surgeon in Rochester, NY that firmly believes in hyperkinectic gallbladders. Mine is causing pancreatitis and I was hospitalized for 6 days. The gallbladder is coming out in a few weeks - feeling relieved!

What is the doctors name in rochester?

have you found a doctor?please let me know. Thanks

I too am looking for the dr in Rochester, NY

I just want to share my story on this board in case it could help someone. I started experiencing pain in my upper middle stomach in mid Feb, it always seemed to start after dinner, it was bearable but enough to warrant & doctors visit. My doc ordered various tests, blood work, breath test, ultrasound. All came back normal. She put me on Prilosec & told me to try that for a few weeks & see if I improve. I did not, it just kept getting worse. At the end of March I ended up in the ER because the pain got so bad. They didn't do anything for me at the hospital but prescribe some new meds & suggested that it might be an ulcer. I got referred to a gastro & had an upper endoscopy, no ulcer but did have some inflammation of the stomach & esophagus was eroded. It still didn't explain my sever pain after eating & at this point I was also experiencing extreme nausea (sometimes vomiting) bloating & diarrhea with the pain. It also became so bad that i could only handle eating once per day & i had lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks. So the gastro referred me to a surgeon because he thought it could be my galbladder even though the ultrasound came back normal. Surgeon sent me for A HIDA scan & I had a very high ejection fraction (90%). My gastro & surgeon agreed that is not normal. I'm Scheduled to have my galbladder out on 4/20. I am praying this will be the solution to my problem because this has been very difficult to live with & the symptoms just seem to be getting worse. I will post after I have my GB removed to let everyone know if it worked.