Hello, after almost two months of pain, and not knowing what the heck I had wrong with my insides. I finally got my ultrasound results back. I have Gallstones, and need an operation. My next step is to see a surgeon. Can anyone help me with what to take for the pain I have under my rib cage, what to eat and drink till I have them taken out.

Brenda 2
:$

Hello there! Is the operation necessary? Have doctor talked to you about some alternative treatments? I heard of a procedure called LIVER FLUSH that is used for cleansing liver and gallbladder from stones. If I understood well, there are a couple of recipes for the procedure! Have you heard of it? The only problem is that I think that this procedure doesn’t mean you won’t get the stones back again but at least you won’t lose your gallbladder. Maybe you could talk to the surgeon some more on alternatives. I would love to hear what s/he told you!

I'm seeing my doctor this wednesday coming, I found the gallstone/liver cleanse, it seems scary to take, but I'll ask him if it would be okay. I'm still in so much pain, but am on a non-fatty diet or my own, is there anything one may suggest to take the pain away.

Brenda2 :-(

Hello there! It’s me again with the old story. Sorry to bring this subject again but I accidentally ran into this topic and thought of you.
For the removal of gallbladder is nowadays used laparoscopy. It is a surgery which makes small incisions and operates through them (I won’t go into details here). This surgery causes less postoperative pain and permits quicker recovery. This is why many doctors are suggesting those, even though they are not necessary sometimes. Because this surgery is non-invasive, the docs are convinced that it is better to try to prevent severe attacks before they occur. It was said in this article that most people with gallstones never develop significant symptoms. During this surgery, a bile duct can be damaged, which can cause permanent liver damage. They are advising to avoid gallbladder surgery unless you've had at least one severe attack or several less painful attacks in the upper right part of the abdomen, or if you develop jaundice or pancreatic inflammation -- and tests confirm that stones are the real culprit.
I am not trying to persuade you into anything, I am just trying to show you what you should think about when you go to the surgeon to talk about surgery. Anyway, I hope you can get rid of your pain real soon one way or another. Good luck!

I finally got to see my doctor. I showed him the cleanse for the gallbladder/liver. He said because of the Epson salts, he recommend me not to try it, as the Epson salts will make problems with my electrolits for my blood pressure medication. He said I should stay on the non-fat diet for the pain, and the day surgery should be soon, as you know a waiting list for us Canadians is always an issue. I just want to take some of the pain away that I have for now, can wait on the surgery. He suggested I take Milk Thistle for my liver, if I need to take any non-prescribed drugs.

Did your doctor give you an advice on how to get rid of the pain while you are waiting for the surgery? How are you keeping up with it? You should lie down and rest when you are having a pain attack.
I found a list of products that you can eat while on a low-fat diet. Maybe you already have the list and it would be best if a doctor gave you one, but just in case you can have another one: bagels, pasta/noodles, corn tortillas, pita bread, corn bread, oatmeal, wheat germ, air-popped popcorn, nonfat milk, nonfat yogurt, other nonfat dairy products, oil-free and some “lite” salad dressings, fat-free mayonnaise, nonfat frozen yogurt, sorbet and fruit ices, fruit rolls and fig bars, lean chicken and turkey (without skin), egg whites, tuna (in water), halibut, bass, dried beans and peas, raw, steamed, or boiled vegetables, raw fruits and vegetable and fruit juices diluted with purified water.
Well, I hope I helped you a little bit. Good luck!

Thanks for the list of foods I can have. My doctor said to eat alot of veggies and fruits, and to stay away from fried foods and dairy products except skim milk. I really appreciate you giving me advice.

I have to go for a liver biopsy, I'm kind of nervous for my biobsy this wednesday, but look at it like going to the dentist, freeze it and then wait for the freeze to wear off, hope it's not too painful.

I finally have a date (27 Oct) to see a sergeon for my gallbladder, god knows how long I will have to wait after that.

Brenda2

I am glad I could help you in any way.
It is good to hear that you managed to make an appointment with a surgeon. Hopefully you will get a surgery day soon.
How are you feeling now? Did you manage to find relief for your abdominal pain? I surely hope so.
Are you taking a lot of days off work?

Anyway, I am glad you have some good news. I wish you good luck! And if you need any additional info I will be glad to try to help you! Bye

I just got a liver biopsy yesterday and am in quite the bit of pain, I wouldn't wish this kind of procedure on my worst enemy. All the gave me was tylenol. I have great pain in my bowles, is that due because of the Advil I take too, it seems to have worsten my pain. Oh woe is me, haven't been myself since early this summer.

Tylenol should work well on you, as it is said that it elevates the body's overall pain threshold, so that you feel less pain, and that it doesn’t cause any side effects.
On the other hand, it may very well be what you are suspecting about advil, that it causes your pain. Advil is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug that blocks the substance that carries pain messages to brain. Advil can cause abdominal pain because this substance that it blocks protects the lining of the stomach, and the lining is than prone to irritation.

When are you getting liver biopsy results?

I should get the results in a week or two. I think my gallstones are irritating my liver too, and even when I eat, once I start to digest it gives me problems with pain.

I have switched to alternative medicine and recently found out that I have fall stones. The doctor put me on an "apple juice" fast for 10 days. The apple juice has to organic, with no sugar added - found in whole food stores. Drink 10-12 glasses of water each day.

Hello
I woke up exactly a week ago today hurting severely in my midddle back, moving around on both sides to my middle under my rib cage, I assumed it was my kidenys and started drinking cranberry juice and taking AZO Standard cranberry tablets and by next morning I should have been better wellof course I wasn't so I went to doctor and they did the usual urine test and lab work, my blood pressure was 160/100 while in office so you can imagine how much pain I was in, I went back to work that afternoon and because I work for a doctor, I told him my symtoms and he ordered a abdominal ultrasound and my kidenys were fine but I had 5-6 gallstones, in the mean time my family I went to see ordered some more lab done on my blood amylase/ lypase which would tell him that I had problems with my gallbladder and those results came back normal, so if I would noit have been working for a doctor myself the ultrasound would have never been ordered, I talked with several people and did researced n the internet the pros and cons of having gallbladder surgery, I did a gallbladder cleanse and passed all the stones with no pain and I feel 100% better. Saved myself a $10,000 hospital bill no doubt and now I will just make sure my diet is free from foods high in cholesterol and high in fat.

I'm going threw the same thing. No fatty food, no dairy, no meat, no caffeine, no carbonation, no chocolate. Basically don't eat anything, but if the pain, is minimal I will do it. Vicodin for the pain is what the dr gave me for now.

I'm 30 wks pregnant and found out I had gallstones at 26 wks.  I've had 3 attacks (seems to be one per week) which send me directly to the E.R.  Since I am pregnant, they will not remove my gallbladder 'til I have my baby.. it will be a LONG 10 weeks to go! I have found that I can eat: quaker oat bars, toast with a little strawberry jam, sugar-free jello, boiled chicken, but that's basically it.  While in the E.R. Dr's gave me morphine for pain, which strangely, made the pain worse.  I had to be admitted and my Dr. tried other pain meds which didn't work either.  I finally told them to just give me something to relax me and maybe I could fall asleep (after 32 hrs of pain) The Dr. was reluctant at first, but we found something that definitely helped! He gave me Benadryl via IV and a very low dose of Demerol, this did the trick! I fell asleep within minutes and didn't need any pain meds after that (only stuck with the benadryl).  At home I control the pain with chamomile tea and regular strength Tylenol (because of the pregnancy).  If I feel more pain, I take 2 tablets of regular Benadryl. I've found that websites can be misleading when it comes to what we CAN eat with this problem.. I don't trust any of them, not even the ones that are "well-known"  I've had to play it safe for these past 4 weeks, and every time I think I CAN eat something from these website's I end up back at the E.R. so I will stick with MY "safe foods" basically ALL liquids, lots of water, chamomile tea (caffeine free) and my toast.  Good luck to all of you, I know how depressing and stressful it can be to find our "Safe Foods" be careful, and don't eat anything that has more than maybe 2g of fat... it's not worth it!