So I've had upper right pain under the ribs for about 6 months now. Saw my regular doc he said it's likely my gallbladder, did some liver test to rule that out. Liver came back fine. Recommended cat scan/ultra sound to check for stones. Haven't done that yet.

The pain is pretty much a on going dull pain. Occasionally, I'll experience an "attack" that i've read others talk about...but that seems pretty rare and they pass pretty quickly.

I also have IBS/C & D, depending on my diet and digestive enzymes. My question is...what if I opt to pass on surgery and deal with the pain? Could it turn life threatening or present life threatening complications? Discomfort is pretty much a daily reality because of IBS, so this doesn't effect me too much.

Whether gallbladder removal will be necessary or not definitely will depend on the exact cause of pain. That's why ultrasound and catscans for gallbladder stones will probably be what will determine what to do. If you do have gallstones than surgery is necessary because gallstones cause blockage of bile and that can ultimately lead to very dangerous gallbladder inflammation which can result in gallbladder bursting and that is lethal. But, the gallstones are not the only reason why you might be experiencing this pain and there are some situations in which surgery might not be necessary immediately, for example if you have over-production of bile which can be somewhat treated with medication. It all depends on the test results.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome, I just hope everything will turn out OK, or at least as best as it can. I've been there myself, so wish you the best!